Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
It would probably take a day to adjust.
although I get what you are saying don't tell fibs. It takes years to adjust to adjust to cities this large. Even from elsewhere in Texas.

Its gonna take you months just to figure out traffic patterns and learn arterial streets to avoid highways (some never learn and thus are always clogging up the highways).

Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 AM

328 posts, read 471,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I agree Houston is the Best city in Texas as Texas is the best State in the US as USA is the best darn country in the World.
Dallas is Scarlett O'Hara. Houston is Melanie Hamilton.

(author unknown)

Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
Dallas is Scarlett O'Hara. Houston is Melanie Hamilton.

(author unknown)
Dullus? I thought that was an airport in N Va.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default This says it all!!! AMEN!

Dallas and houston are much more alike than different. Your life would not be that much different in either.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:18 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times

Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I dont think Dallas is inferior what are talking about? Plano is the one!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
During my time on the internet and in my interactions all around Texas, I've always been amused by the pervasive Houston inferiority complex. It may be a travel forum I'm on where someone is asking for info about DFW Airport and the Houstonites insist upon butting in and spouting unasked for stuff about IAH. It may be on an architecture forum where someone is discussing Pei architecture in Dallas and the Houston people won't shut up. It's Houston's transit agency certifying their trains to 66 MPH to beat DART's 65. It's having to lie about where I'm from when I'm in Houston so people won't harass me.

What's up with it? What causes it? Why do Dallas people seem self deprecating while the Houston people are the proverbial poorly endowed guy driving the big pickup truck?

opinions are like certain anatomical parts... everyone has one (unless it has been sewn shut because of colo-rectal cancer or the such). Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it is right ... or wrong ... just that you've shown it ... kinda like some folks showing certain anatomical parts!

Personally I don't think any city is superior/inferior or that a city is capable of an emotion like, . . . hmmmmm . . . say an "inferiority complex".

Sounds more like an internet drama queen kinda post to me! I mean ... who REALLY gives a

The country is where it's at anyway ... all cities suck !

Least y'all could do in this worthless thread is show a little creativity!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM

157 posts, read 165,645 times
Improve your downtown and make vibrant!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:02 PM

157 posts, read 165,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
On the contrary, the Houston "homers" on this site are obsessed with Dallas. Even when they move away, they never pass up an opportunity to bash.

Dallas is pretentions.
Dallas's terrain is flat and boring.
Dallas's buildings aren't very tall.
Dallas is a blank prairie with very few trees.
The food in Dallas is all chain restaurants.
Dallas isn't as diverse as that other place.
Dallas's freeways are lousy and the road full of potholes.
Dallas is sterile, "too clean," and sanitary because of restrictive zoning.
Dallas relies too much on Fort Worth.
Dallas's medical facilities are sub-par.
DART ridership per mile is lousy.
Downtown Dallas has only one sports venue.
Dallas's lakes are crummy compared to the wonderful Gulf of Mexico.
Dallas is too far away from New Orleans.
Hardly anything is IN Dallas (stadiums, int'l airport, etc.)
Dallas's zoo is no big deal.
Dallas doesn't have multiple downtowns.
Dallas's lack of humidity makes the skin dry.
Dallas doesn't "feel" ... (insert anything ridiculous you want to: diverse, cosmopolitan, big, dynamic). This is perhaps the most specious of all, as if something as subjective as "feeling" means anything.
Dallas is too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.
All the reality shows filming in Dallas show the city in a bad light (even though everyone knows these shows are heavily edited, and they add millions of $ to the local economy).
The Super Bowl was a disaster.
The Dallas Cowboys are overrated (OK, I'll give you that one!).

I could come up with a dozen or more examples if I had the time, but anyone who is a regular reader of these boards can vouch for everything I listed.
Both of their downtowns suck! Austin and San Antonio creams Dallas and Houston. Houston and Dallas need a significant downtown makeover! Hopefully, that will help to get Houston and even Dallas out of inferiority complexes.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
Both of their downtowns suck! Austin and San Antonio creams Dallas and Houston. Houston and Dallas need a significant downtown makeover! Hopefully, that will help to get Houston and even Dallas out of inferiority complexes.
do you know what a downtown is. I would advise that you look it up before posting uneducated comments.

neither of these downtowns suck. And Both Houston and Dallas downtowns are much much much better functioning business districts than Austins.

you sound like those silly Paris Hilton everything is a party people. If you think a downtown is a Disney land for adults then you were fooled big time.

Quote:
Austin has more people milling around, San Antonio has more tourists, Houston has more buildings and economic activity, Dallas has the nightscape, and so on.

But you will Never convince me that Austin's downtown is better than the others. I think Texans on this site has been brainwashed by the northeasterners into thinking if you don't see people then the downtown is not good.

Downtowns are primarily economic centers and Houston and Dallas blow Austin away on that one. So if the most important aspect of a downtown Austin is far behind, how can Austin's downtown be better??

in turns of Downtowns here is my ranking of must haves

1. JOBS- 1. Houston, 2. Dallas, 3. Austin, 4. Fort Worth , 5. San Antonio
2. Transportation (just in downtown)- 1. Houston, 2. Dallas, 3. Austin, 4. SA the rest
3. Food- Tie all the way around (although the setting in SA is the best)
4. Entertainment-
a. Tourist attractions- 1. San Antonio, 2. Fort Worth, 3. Austin, 4.Houston, 5. Dallas, The rest
b. Sports (Downtown Only)- 1. Houston, the rest
c. Fine Arts- 1. Houston, 2. Fort Worth, 3. Dallas, 4.Austin, San Antonio
d. Bars and Clubs- 1. Austin, 2. Houston, 3. San Antonio, 4. Dallas, 5. Forth Worth.

giving 5 points for 1st place and 1 for 5th you can see how the ranking falls.

Houston 31
Dallas 22
Austin 21
FW 17
SA 17

Houston and Dallas Clearly have the stronger downtowns. Further, because downtowns are business districts primarily, the economy should be even given stronger weight than entertainment. which would put Houston and Dallas much higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston