Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 10:27 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I'd be surprised in the coming years if there aren't 2 leagues of 12 teams encompassing the top 24 teams money wise. They only really look at the top 25 anyway and you have to have an even number. Why give money to those bottom tier teams when you can keep it for yourself? This would then allow the champs of each league to play for a true national championship and completely block the non power 5 from having a chance at it. Think of the money those TV contracts would bring too.
For a long time, I thought this is what would happen too. However, watching what happens with media and the like, it is the media that dictates a lot of developments. They need more than 24 teams to have a broad media base, especially when some of those programs would be in the same state as others. It looks as though the 64 program model will stick, but how they apportion that is a matter for speculation.

The really biggest programs can logically expect to make more money. We see that in the Big XII, where Texas has it's own Tier 3 income as do the other programs in the league. Texas makes more money from that than anybody else, but the other programs also keep their own Tier 3 media income, which in West Virginia's case is around $8 million per year. There is no doubt that being involved in a conference with heavyweights like Texas and Oklahoma also benefits the other programs in terms of income, so why complain if Texas makes more Tier 3 income when the association also assures prosperity for your program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 02:51 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Looks like a couple of C-D posters made the Herald Dispatch with their opinions. ��

Report on MU athletics spending raises questions | Opinion | herald-dispatch.com

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Looks like a couple of C-D posters made the Herald Dispatch with their opinions. ��

Report on MU athletics spending raises questions | Opinion | herald-dispatch.com
HAHAHA that's great

Old 07-19-2017, 05:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Quote:

We have a couple of famous posters on here!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
HAHAHA that's great
Somebody should have asked Chuck what he was smoking when he wrote the article.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:27 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Somebody should have asked Chuck what he was smoking when he wrote the article.
I like how he doubles down on trying to claim "much" of the money came from student fees and not from the MU budget, but yet the math doesn't lie. While "much" is factually correct since it's not the word majority, it is still disingenuous when comparing two amounts of money and one is 3 million more than the other. 8.5 million > 5 million but that doesn't fit his agenda.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:55 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Some recent Marshall News:

https://www.marshall.edu/ucomm/2017/...esearch-grant/

https://www.marshall.edu/ucomm/2017/...ns-everything/

https://www.marshall.edu/ucomm/2017/...ring-students/

Old 08-08-2017, 03:22 PM

194 posts, read 182,161 times
I don't follow football at all would I be allowed to move to Huntington

Old 08-08-2017, 05:27 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern-Quill View Post
Unfortunately you would be asked to live outside of city limits.

All jokes aside, I work with a lot of folk that couldn't care less about football.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern-Quill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Unfortunately you would be asked to live outside of city limits.

All jokes aside, I work with a lot of folk that couldn't care less about football.
In Huntington, everything is different when it comes to football. It's OK to ignore the games on Saturday, but you should educate yourself about the 1970 airplane crash, the memorials, and the events in the city that are held every year to remember. That will keep you from saying something inappropriate to somebody that lost a family member or a friend in that tragedy. Survivors are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington