Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 22,306 times

Advertisements

I'm biased I've never owned a Korean, or *** car, only domestics and Germans - benzes and BMW's.

I drove the Gen 5.0 - it's a 5 series wannabe, but not BMW quality or handling..I will say that the Equus was impressive in fit and finish AND power, but still not an S class...sorry...close but not c-GAR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:41 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevernevernever View Post
I'm biased I've never owned a Korean, or *** car, only domestics and Germans - benzes and BMW's.

I drove the Gen 5.0 - it's a 5 series wannabe, but not BMW quality or handling..I will say that the Equus was impressive in fit and finish AND power, but still not an S class...sorry...close but not c-GAR
You're right. The Hyundai isn't the same. It's more reliable, better warranty, and cheaper to service...

Old 02-16-2015, 11:54 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,854 times
If you like the car, then what's the problem? Get what you like.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevernevernever View Post

I own a 2007 BMW 530i and a 2010 Hyundai Genesis with the 4.6 V8 and Tech package. The BMW is going up for sale soon as the Genesis is a very nice car with more power and comfort (the BMW's reliability has been fairly awful too). Keep in mind too that the 2015 Genesis has a Lotus tuned suspension and I've heard very good things about its suspension tuning. I just took my 2010 on a 1300+ mile drive on a round trip from the Bay Area to Portland and there isn't anything to complain about.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you like the car, then what's the problem? Get what you like.

Ditto.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Main reason not to buy the Genesis is that the Koreans really aren't there on suspension/chassis the way the German cars are. What you end up with is a soft car that is a bit sloppy, more like a Lexus but not quite as precise. There's less of a difference between Lexus and the Genesis than BMW/Mercedes/Audi simply because Lexus tunes softer. The Genesis is softer still. If you're just mostly looking for a luxury sedan, however, that's not necessarily a problem. Interior design is a bit uninspired, but that's a personal opinion. It's definitely a lot of car for the money.

Will be interesting to see how Hyundai's hiring of one of the main engineers from BMW M division helps in a few years. http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...mance-car-push

It is amazing to see where they have come in 15-20 years and they seem to be dedicated to advancing further still.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,133,562 times
The 2015 is certainly a good handler, surprisingly so but it is balanced between luxury and sport but I'm ok with that. Similarly equipped, all the traditional class competitive luxury cars start north of $60k (without the V-8 of course).

I like the feedback, it does help me get over my anti-Hyundai bias. Two weeks ago I would have laughed at the suggestion of owning a Hyundai.

As for my other question, are there any other cars out there that haven't been covered above that I should be looking at? Is there another 'sleeper' car in this segment I should be considering?

Old 02-16-2015, 03:40 PM

528 posts, read 823,988 times
If Hyundai stays on their current path they just may be the benchmark in just a couple more product cycles. My former boss had the previous generation Genesis and traded up to the R SPEC, he loved his. If you like it, buy it.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:05 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Will be interesting to see how Hyundai's hiring of one of the main engineers from BMW M division helps in a few years. http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...mance-car-push

It is amazing to see where they have come in 15-20 years and they seem to be dedicated to advancing further still.
My first car was a used, fully-loaded 1991 Sonata with a V6. What a PIECE OF CRAP that was!!! lol.

My brother, 3 years ago, bought a Hyundai Elantra (for whatever reason.) I flew up to Montreal and drove it around those horrible roads up there. I was pleasantly surprised.
More recently, he purchased a Hybrid Sonata. I, again, drove it through that city, and was even more surprised. They have come a LONG WAY since that P.O.S. I had...

Old 02-16-2015, 04:26 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
My first car was a used, fully-loaded 1991 Sonata with a V6. What a PIECE OF CRAP that was!!! lol.

My brother, 3 years ago, bought a Hyundai Elantra (for whatever reason.) I flew up to Montreal and drove it around those horrible roads up there. I was pleasantly surprised.
More recently, he purchased a Hybrid Sonata. I, again, drove it through that city, and was even more surprised. They have come a LONG WAY since that P.O.S. I had...
If you're old enough to remember there were god-awful Toyota, Datsun,Honda, and Subarus too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia