Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,041 times

Advertisements

So having done all my research and test driving a few cars I had finally decided on a Lexus GS350 F Sport…then I found the 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 - 420 HP, loaded with more and better options, drives great, unbeatable warranty, etc.

So now, I just can’t see spending $5k - $8k more for the Lexus. Sure, the handling is a bit tighter, the interior slightly better, but in terms of the overall package, the Hyundai beats out the Lexus quite handily. Bear in mind, I come from the generation that detests Hyundai, so this is a big step for me.

So, now I’m wondering what other cars should I be looking at?

BMW/Mercedes/Audi -I fear the long term reliability and costs of German cars.
Infiniti - Q70 is nice but feels dated inside, the Q50 doesn’t have cooled seats available at all.
Volvo - boring
Acura - FWD

Any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
Buy it. Drive it. Love it. Genesis is a great car.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:58 AM

17,207 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
So having done all my research and test driving a few cars I had finally decided on a Lexus GS350 F Sport…then I found the 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 - 420 HP, loaded with more and better options, drives great, unbeatable warranty, etc.

So now, I just can’t see spending $5k - $8k more for the Lexus. Sure, the handling is a bit tighter, the interior slightly better, but in terms of the overall package, the Hyundai beats out the Lexus quite handily. Bear in mind, I come from the generation that detests Hyundai, so this is a big step for me.

So, now I’m wondering what other cars should I be looking at?

BMW/Mercedes/Audi -I fear the long term reliability and costs of German cars.
Infiniti - Q70 is nice but feels dated inside, the Q50 doesn’t have cooled seats available at all.
Volvo - boring
Acura - FWD

Any suggestions ?
I'll agree with BMW and Mercedes... Audi, however, is extremely good.
Take a look at the A6. It blows its competition out of the water in practically everything, and Audi has always been pretty reliable.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
I would buy the Lexus over the Genesis any day if I could afford them.

Just remember for the Hyundai, the warranty is only as good as you following the maintenance schedule. I have heard of many warranties being voided due to not following the schedule to a T.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
Huyndai has a winner in the Genesis. It's a very competitive vehicle in its segment. The E Class Mercedes is generally reliable with the 6-cylinder engine, but you would need the 8-cylinders to compete with the Hyundai, and they are going to be more expensive than the Lexus. The 5-series BMW is good, but as BMWs age, they tend to have "issues," nothing major insofar as the engine/transmission, but nagging problems. Audi is also good, but you would need an 8-cylinder A6 to compete, which, again, has a much higher purchase cost. As Audis age, there can be nagging electrical problems, and the dealers seem to love to replace sensors rather than find what is causing a fault code.

If you want a luxury car that is safe, reliable, has good power, and is a good value, Hyundai is very difficult to beat with the 5.0 Genesis. I am not a Hyundai fan, by any means, and own/have owned all of the German marques and Lexus, and if I were looking for an under-the-radar cruiser with luxury appointments, I would definitely consider the Genesis. I loved having the previous models as rental cars, but since Hyundai redesigned the vehicle, they seem to be phased out of most rental fleets in favor of the Azera, which does not compare to the Genesis in terms of power, handling, etc.

The Lexus is very good, too, but you would need to spend more for the 8-cylinder to match the performance that Hyundai gives for less than the 6-cylinder. I am also not a fan of the GS, since I prefer the LS in the Lexus lineup or the IS for a smaller vehicle. The GS is middle-of-the-road to me, sort of like a Cadillac CTS.

So, why do you want to be talked out of a car that you seem to like?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-16-2015, 10:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would buy the Lexus over the Genesis any day if I could afford them.

Just remember for the Hyundai, the warranty is only as good as you following the maintenance schedule. I have heard of many warranties being voided due to not following the schedule to a T.
When you provide a warranty that's longer than the competitions, you've got to expect people to follow the maintenance schedule. I own a Hyundai and a Toyota, and I haven't had any problems getting things fixed under warranty with either of them.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Main reason not to buy the Genesis is that the Koreans really aren't there on suspension/chassis the way the German cars are. What you end up with is a soft car that is a bit sloppy, more like a Lexus but not quite as precise. There's less of a difference between Lexus and the Genesis than BMW/Mercedes/Audi simply because Lexus tunes softer. The Genesis is softer still. If you're just mostly looking for a luxury sedan, however, that's not necessarily a problem. Interior design is a bit uninspired, but that's a personal opinion. It's definitely a lot of car for the money.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,632,129 times
I've rode in a Genesis from New Jersey to Florida twice. I was impressed by the ride and comfort of the car. The only negative is that I just read an article about the Genesis being one of the top cars to lose value in it's first year. Maybe not a bad thing if your looking for a year old car. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/g...ned-used-cars/

Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
If both are coming out pretty equal, call your insurance company. Is one cheaper to insure?

Old 02-16-2015, 11:20 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
I think the biggest difference aside from price is the niceness waiting room at the service department, not that you'll be there much in either case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia