Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 12:57 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,134,041 times

Advertisements

Ok, bear in mind the SS drive was just a spin around the block and I’m not a professional , I just like what I like.

The SS stickers close to $50k with all the bells and whistles (which is what I want) which is getting into luxury sports sedan territory. Frankly, the interior just doesn’t measure up quality wise and it looks a bit down-market in comparison. The SS is more of a souped up generic mid-sized sedan while the Genesis is a luxury car with a big V8 dropped into it. That said, the SS is more about performance than luxury and in that area it delivers. I could help grinning driving it down the road, endless torque, sounds fearsome too. So it’s a preference thing. I prefer less sporty/muscle car (although it seemed to handle very well, responsive steering, etc) and a little more fit, finish, luxury look and feel. Ok, I’m getting old.

The Genesis is more about smooth, quiet, unobtrusive performance. Not the torque/ immediate responsiveness of the SS, but powerful, with commutative steering and also whisper quiet on the freeway, almost disconcertingly quiet. I think I read it’s quieter than an S class. It has a clean, modern interior with very few quibbles in the quality department. For example, the steering wheel could have a bit more to it and the steering wheel controls are visually cheaper looking. But on the whole, a real surprise inside. A side by side comparison with the GS350 might reveal some other things but as far as I’m concerned Lexus is the interior quality standard bearer, so it’s tough competition.

As I mentioned before, I was dead set to buy the GS until I read something about the Hyundai and thought, why not take a look? Here in Houston, Lexus does not discount –period, while Hyundai will, significantly. So if I can save $8k or more and have a V8 instead, it’s hard to justify paying more. Even though the GS is a better drive, it’s not that much better that I can overlook the price difference and the of options missing on the GS for the same sticker price as the Genesis 5.0. Adaptive cruise, lane departure, panoramic sunroof (yes, I like it), heads up display, power truck, etc. (reminds me, the SS heads up display was better than the Genesis).

Just to update - did another test drive, I went back to Infiniti and drove the Q50 (even though it doesn't have the ventilated seats!) and, unfortunately, the steering was just too squirrely for me. Tried different modes, just couldn't get the feel for the road or the car. I was quite happy to zip away in my Maxima.

Oh, and for those interested, the Genesis V8 would add $120 to my insurance premium per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:01 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Then it sounds like the OP is converging towards an optimal decision. Ultimately, the best approach is to test-drive a wide range of cars, forming one's own synthesis what personally matters most. This trumps any amount of third-party opinions!

Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
So having done all my research and test driving a few cars I had finally decided on a Lexus GS350 F Sport…then I found the 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 - 420 HP, loaded with more and better options, drives great, unbeatable warranty, etc.

So now, I just can’t see spending $5k - $8k more for the Lexus. Sure, the handling is a bit tighter, the interior slightly better, but in terms of the overall package, the Hyundai beats out the Lexus quite handily. Bear in mind, I come from the generation that detests Hyundai, so this is a big step for me.

So, now I’m wondering what other cars should I be looking at?

BMW/Mercedes/Audi -I fear the long term reliability and costs of German cars.
Infiniti - Q70 is nice but feels dated inside, the Q50 doesn’t have cooled seats available at all.
Volvo - boring
Acura - FWD

Any suggestions ?
The only thing that would give me pause about buying the Genesis is resale value.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:10 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Ok, bear in mind the SS drive was just a spin around the block and I’m not a professional , I just like what I like.

The SS stickers close to $50k with all the bells and whistles (which is what I want) which is getting into luxury sports sedan territory. Frankly, the interior just doesn’t measure up quality wise and it looks a bit down-market in comparison. The SS is more of a souped up generic mid-sized sedan while the Genesis is a luxury car with a big V8 dropped into it. That said, the SS is more about performance than luxury and in that area it delivers. I could help grinning driving it down the road, endless torque, sounds fearsome too. So it’s a preference thing. I prefer less sporty/muscle car (although it seemed to handle very well, responsive steering, etc) and a little more fit, finish, luxury look and feel. Ok, I’m getting old.

The Genesis is more about smooth, quiet, unobtrusive performance. Not the torque/ immediate responsiveness of the SS, but powerful, with commutative steering and also whisper quiet on the freeway, almost disconcertingly quiet. I think I read it’s quieter than an S class. It has a clean, modern interior with very few quibbles in the quality department. For example, the steering wheel could have a bit more to it and the steering wheel controls are visually cheaper looking. But on the whole, a real surprise inside. A side by side comparison with the GS350 might reveal some other things but as far as I’m concerned Lexus is the interior quality standard bearer, so it’s tough competition.

As I mentioned before, I was dead set to buy the GS until I read something about the Hyundai and thought, why not take a look? Here in Houston, Lexus does not discount –period, while Hyundai will, significantly. So if I can save $8k or more and have a V8 instead, it’s hard to justify paying more. Even though the GS is a better drive, it’s not that much better that I can overlook the price difference and the of options missing on the GS for the same sticker price as the Genesis 5.0. Adaptive cruise, lane departure, panoramic sunroof (yes, I like it), heads up display, power truck, etc. (reminds me, the SS heads up display was better than the Genesis).

Just to update - did another test drive, I went back to Infiniti and drove the Q50 (even though it doesn't have the ventilated seats!) and, unfortunately, the steering was just too squirrely for me. Tried different modes, just couldn't get the feel for the road or the car. I was quite happy to zip away in my Maxima.

Oh, and for those interested, the Genesis V8 would add $120 to my insurance premium per year.
Just get the Genesis and be happy already! Nothing compares for its price and the only true caveat is the badge which seems like a small barrier for you (as it should to any reasonable buyer).

Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevernevernever View Post
I'm biased I've never owned a Korean, or *** car, only domestics and Germans - benzes and BMW's.

I drove the Gen 5.0 - it's a 5 series wannabe, but not BMW quality or handling..I will say that the Equus was impressive in fit and finish AND power, but still not an S class...sorry...close but not c-GAR
I agree to a point......but have you seen a 5 series lately with the 2.0 4 cyl engine for 50-55K?

I rented a Genesis 3.8 in Canada last year, car was great and it actually reminded me of a 528i when it had the 6 cyl engine.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:25 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
The only thing that would give me pause about buying the Genesis is resale value.
I would agree except the BMWs/Benzs drop just as fast then really slide off the cliff after the warranty expires!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I would agree except the BMWs/Benzs drop just as fast then really slide off the cliff after the warranty expires!
This is true. Lexus might have great resale value but most other luxury makes do not so you're not winning much with a BMW/Mercedes/Audi beside feeling $10k lighter and having a fancy badge.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:09 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I would argue that the percentage drop is going to be quite less than genesis, but you do start with a higher initial price.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I would argue that the percentage drop is going to be quite less than genesis, but you do start with a higher initial price.
I bought my 2007 BMW 530i in 2010 (3 years old or so) I paid $20k private sale when it had about 45k miles. 2011 BMW 535's (there is no 530 for that year) can be bought $25k or so private sale with under 50k miles. I don't think they hold value particularly well.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:00 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I bought my 2007 BMW 530i in 2010 (3 years old or so) I paid $20k private sale when it had about 45k miles. 2011 BMW 535's (there is no 530 for that year) can be bought $25k or so private sale with under 50k miles. I don't think they hold value particularly well.
No vehicle in this class is a solid value-proposition. The least-worst is probably the Lexus IS350 (perhaps too compact for the OP). I'm seeing circa-2007 models advertised for $20K on Craigslist, and occasionally for well above $20K. These are no 8-year-old cars, that are at ~50% of their original sticker price. For some reason the comparable Infiniti is down to the $15K range.

My personal data point: 1996 BMW M3, originally stickered for ~$40K. Bought in 2010 for under $5K. In 14 years, it lost nearly 90% of its value.

Overall the implication is to buy used - regardless of whether the vehicle is German, Japanese, American or Korean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia