Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:33 PM

181 posts, read 140,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I'm not concerned with resale, that was another posters point. I have a Maxima now...But the high output/front wheel drive combination just doesn't work well. The Avalon is a bit of a snooze fest.
My 1st gen Avalon is still silky smooth...amazing considering it has 230K mi.
I'm also a motorcyclist so "snooze fest" in a car just means when I get my 3rd gen Avalon within 2 yrs' time, there's more room to haggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Resale value is an issue to buyers who are conscious of their effective per-mile cost, including depreciation. Priorities of course vary, but even people who pay cash for powerful sedans may nevertheless care for how much they'd be able to sell the car on Craiglist in 5 or 10 years.
But returning to the question of resale and value, it may be worthwhile to consider ~3-year-old cars; not COPO or other dealership specials, but Craigslist private-party sale.
My counter is to go with mileage, instead of years: a 20K mi 3-yr-old car is not worth the hassles.
Ideal is a 110K mi car (4-10 yrs), 1) whatever that's major would have been taken care of, 2) if it's a flagship, then those would likely be highway miles, 3) society has brainwashed the seller to think that over 100K mi is too high--room to haggle.

From my observation, 10 yrs = 50% off retail, generally speaking.
But more if it's less well known: an '06-'07 Acura RL is going for $10-13K--from styling to performance to workmanship (it's Acura's flagship) this thing is a hidden gem--and just think about what type of people actually own an RL--double hidden gem

As for resale, like the OP, I am part of a dying breed: buy to own, including a future house.

*Even if I could buy a brand new car outright, I still wouldn't, for myself.
But I don't mind buying a new one for the wife or future children should they turn out to be boy-genius/girl-genius.

Last edited by R2max; 02-17-2015 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: To profit from people's self-image consciousness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
German cars are like one night stands. Not keepers. Hyundai Genesis are for people who are posers. They can only afford fake handbags.

Lexus are keepers, they hold value and they run forever.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:45 PM

181 posts, read 140,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
German cars are like one night stands. Not keepers. Hyundai Genesis are for people who are posers. They can only afford fake handbags.

Lexus are keepers, they hold value and they run forever.
You're doing your screen name a disservice. Shouldn't you have both foresight and hindsight?
Let's transport you back to 1989.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:51 PM

269 posts, read 535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
If both are coming out pretty equal, call your insurance company. Is one cheaper to insure?
You really think someone spending more than $50K for a car cares about insurance for one being cheaper over the other?

No doubt I would choose the Lexus over Korean any day without a second thought. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any car where I would choose the Korean junk over any other. Like someone said, the resale drops on Genesis is max. There is a reason for that. There is more to compare than horsepower. Hyundai may have come a long way but there is a reason why they depreciate so fast. Like others have said, Audi or even CTS-V. I don't know of many problems with the CTS-V so if you want real performance and 600 hp, get the CTS-V, and buy stock in Michelin, you'll need it.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Lexus if you want the bells, whistles, and trim to last for a really long time.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:07 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,133,562 times
Hmmm, guess who won the premium full size segment?

https://www.alg.com/residual-value-awards/

Old 02-17-2015, 08:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,603 times
Hyundai interior quality is straight garbage compared to new Lexus cars. They're a good 5 - 6 years behind. And resale value is extremely weak. IMO, you'd be throwing that money away in terms of depreciation. Plus, the GS is so much nicer on the inside.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,133,562 times
Ok, so I test drove the SS and while it does have some remarkable attributes its not really the same class of vehicle. A great sleeper car though, you'd never know from looking at it what it was capable of. So based on that I'm pretty sure a Charger isn't going to work either, and certainly not the Hellcat version, that's just a bit much for a daily driver.

And I like the post about Hyundai's being for posers, too funny!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Ok, so I test drove the SS and while it does have some remarkable attributes its not really the same class of vehicle. A great sleeper car though, you'd never know from looking at it what it was capable of. So based on that I'm pretty sure a Charger isn't going to work either, and certainly not the Hellcat version, that's just a bit much for a daily driver.

And I like the post about Hyundai's being for posers, too funny!
So what do you mean by not the same class of vehicle....the SS is more of a performance sedan versus the Genesis more of a luxury? I also will consider both of these cars in the next year if I sell or trade my beemer. If you can give more details about the test drive of the SS versus Genesis including the suspension, performance, quiet, look and feel, etc, I would appreciate it.

BTW, I'm not down on German cars, I've put over 100K on my BMW 7 Series and haven't had to have any service other than the regularly scheduled service. But they do depreciate fast and if you do need to have it serviced, not going to be cheap. I think Lexus are nice but ther´'s none of them that interest me currently.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Interesting... if you don't mind, please elaborate on your road-test observations. One rarely reads objective reviews by prospective buyers. Were you disappointed by interior/luxury/feel/ride-quality? What about acceleration, braking, handling? What about general build-quality?

The Charger is 500 pounds heavier; larger, brasher and more of a "cruiser". I had a 3.6L charger as a rental car, driving it from NYC to SW Ohio. It was comfortable and quiet (by my reckoning). Seats were not particularly supportive. Interior quality was acceptable, but uninspiring. Performance was deeply disappointing, but then again it was just the 3.6L V6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia