Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 03:57 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times

Advertisements

Way to go Clark Fork. I did not even get Christmas out again this year. Would rather spend my time doing my mosaics LOL. No family so no point in doing it just for me when ME does not really care about it. LOL

The night before last and all day yesterday and partly through the night it snowed here. Then the winds blew and made big drifts. One path I did not get shoveled yesterday was close to two foot deep but I am sure a lot of it was drifting, Neighbor said he measured 15 inches out of this last storm Another rolling in tonight. This old lady is about half whooped and the county plowed the road and filled across the end of my driveway with ice chunks off the road I need to move before the next 8 inches comes at me. I am just doing about an hour at a time and resting I have a good light for the driveway It is about 35 foot wide and the berm the county plowed up on me is about 8 foot in from the road OH Grrrr I finished shoveling last night at 10PM. Oh well keeps me in shape. I have the carport roof snow puled down about 3/4 of the way . Had to come in to change gloves. Mine were so wet and icy they were slipping on the roof rake poles. Getting me nowhere.

Otherwise all is good here. I was cracking up watching my three kittens playing in the snow. WHO KNEW kittens would have so much fun with snow. Diving into it in their kennel. In an effort to reduce my snow management efforts I now pull the tarp roof off the out door kitty kennel The high rise kennel only gets a little bit of snow on one side of it so no need to deal with that. And now the dog house roof is built strong enough to hold up as much weight in snow as can cover it. Fortunately some of the ideas I have had to make my life easier are working. I think to any one moving to this snow country thinking ahead on snow removal issues is a must.

I am shocked it is already February!! Happy Belated New Year Every one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
We had a low of 0.7* at our place last night. Daytime highs have been in the low teens. Some snow in the past few days, but we're still at a point where I think we'll be below average for the year (only about 40" so far).

We have found the limits of the heater on our chicken waterer, so that's taking some extra work a couple times a day to keep their water flowing. They seem to be handling the cold ok though.

Remarkably, Schweitzer was all but closed yesterday due to weather. They just had one lift open servicing the bunny runs. I heard an unconfirmed rumor they were having wind gusts up to 100 mph at the summit.

I have to say I prefer this weather to rain with temps in the 30's. We had a fair amount of that early in the winter.

Dave

Old 02-10-2019, 06:17 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
We had a low of 0.7* at our place last night. Daytime highs have been in the low teens. Some snow in the past few days, but we're still at a point where I think we'll be below average for the year (only about 40" so far).

We have found the limits of the heater on our chicken waterer, so that's taking some extra work a couple times a day to keep their water flowing. They seem to be handling the cold ok though.

Remarkably, Schweitzer was all but closed yesterday due to weather. They just had one lift open servicing the bunny runs. I heard an unconfirmed rumor they were having wind gusts up to 100 mph at the summit.

I have to say I prefer this weather to rain with temps in the 30's. We had a fair amount of that early in the winter.

Dave
We fussed with chicken waterers in some really cold below zero snaps and finally started using a plug in heated bucket and I t worked perfectly. The smaller size so the chickens can easily reach the water and they didn’t make a mess of it at all.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Snow, lots of snow. And swirly winds that make snow blowing miserable.

I have been snow blowing every day and will have to do it again today, and it is still snowing.

My son brought me a beautiful big snow blower, heated cab and the whole works, but he didn't put it together, so I am still walking behind the little snow blower, which handles the snow just fine as long as it isn't too deep, or too wet, or too frozen.

All of which is OK. The view out my back windows of the snow on the pine forest is absolutely stunning. The beauty makes it all worth the effort.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:33 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The winds were fierce and the snow blowing sideways and even upward, and little "dust devils" of snow going across the yard.

The hated woodpecker was sheltering on my front porch, clinging to the side of the porch columns away from the wind. I briefly considered driving him out into the storm, with hopes he would freeze to death, but I decided to call a foul weather truce.

I don't really want him to die, I just want him to go away and poke holes in someone else's house, the noisy destructive little booger.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The winds were fierce and the snow blowing sideways and even upward, and little "dust devils" of snow going across the yard.

The hated woodpecker was sheltering on my front porch, clinging to the side of the porch columns away from the wind. I briefly considered driving him out into the storm, with hopes he would freeze to death, but I decided to call a foul weather truce.

I don't really want him to die, I just want him to go away and poke holes in someone else's house, the noisy destructive little booger.
Love this.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM

Huge fire on First St.

https://www.kxly.com/news/four-sandp...far/1011865779

Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We fussed with chicken waterers in some really cold below zero snaps and finally started using a plug in heated bucket and I t worked perfectly. The smaller size so the chickens can easily reach the water and they didn’t make a mess of it at all.
I thought about going that route, but I was concerned our birds would make a mess of it. We have some other buckets we use to give them treats from time to time (this time of year they like hot oatmeal), and they pretty much make a mess of them.

We use a 5 gallon bucket that has a big screw on lid. I installed some of those nipples around the bottom. I'm heating it by setting it on a hollow concrete block inside which there is a ceramic heating element. It does keep the bottom of the bucket from freezing, but in the really cold temps over the past week or so we've been getting a layer of ice on the top, which airlocks the whole thing so water doesn't flow out the nipples. Works well as long we we get daytime highs in the 20's.

Dave

Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post

That's just terrible. I saw it on Twitter this morning, but wasn't able to tell exactly where it was. Now I can see it's on the corner of 1st Street and Bridge Street leading to City Beach. I think they even restored that corner a few years ago. That's heartbreaking.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:50 AM

349 posts, read 1,040,580 times
My time as a NID resident is winding down, heading back to Salmon in the spring, it has been a fun 7 years here but I am looking forward to going back home again and spending time with the grandkids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho