Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM

17 posts, read 85,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinLittleRock View Post
sergant, then explain why I was never once invited to ANYTHING SOCIAL from mormons growing up. hmm?
or why even neighbor kids couldnt ride bikes with me because I wasnt one of them. dont blow smoke. mormons are a tightknit bunch of people, who in my experience do not really accept outsiders at all.

flame away
You probably didn't get invited, because the mormons you were living next to were closed minded and afraid of the influence of the Neighbors that didn't think like they did. I wouldn't base your expereince on all LDS members, just those that are closed minded folk. And I think we all agree that closed minded people don't make the best people to be around whether they are Mormon, Catholic or Athiests.

It seems to me the problem that you have isn't against the Mormon religion, but those neighbors that couldn't see past the end of their noses. I would hate to have to live in a communty that is like that, I don't care what they believe. So please stop saying that ALL Mormons are like that, because we aren't. And those that are, are NOT living what their own religion teaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 PM

41 posts, read 155,616 times
hahahaha
I'll leave you to your illusions. Most of the mormons I have come across are like that.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 PM

110 posts, read 572,930 times
I don't want to open a can of worms, but my subdivision is 89% Mormon and although my husband and I get invited to social events in the subdivision, my daughters are not allowed to play with the kids in the subdivision and the kids are not allowed to come to our house. It becomes quite obvious when as soon as my kids go outside, the LDS kids go inside and they decline every invitation to come to our house or to go places with my kids - such as the pool or the park. This has happened for 7 years, at two different neighborhoods I lived in. I actually confronted my LDS neighbor about it and she said when you become LDS, you are supposed to leave all your old friends and habits behind and that true LDS followers are not supposed to make last longing friendships with non LDS, some of this due to the fear that their kids will eventually want to have a relationship with non LDS kids and by this I mean getting married - which will lead to a marriage outside of the temple and they won't be accepted at the highest level of heaven. So they try and avoid deeper relationships with non LDS folks. This is something I heard from her and her husband and they are not afraid of saying what they believe in. Since hearing their reasoning, I respect their opinion and I stopped trying to make friendships with the LDS folks at my subdivision. I am not saying all LDS people are like that, but there are certain LDS churches that follow the religion word by word and therefore they don't want contact with non LDS and neither do they care to have friends with non LDS since they have all of their friends at the church and they all complete each other in their believes. I guess it is just hard to explain day after day to my 3 year old why she can't play with the kids outside, sometimes she screams from the window of our house and tries to talk to the kids only to be ignored. We are used to such behavior here where we live and we are happy to finally relocate from this area (we move in 30 days). I really don't want my daughters growing up with the idea that they are not good enough to play with the kids around them. The last comment made to us was that my daughter would be alone at the school bus because she doesn't go to the LDS church and therefore the kids wouldn't play with her. Also that she wouldn't be a proper girl and might corrupt the other kids. This was something a neighbor made a point to come and say to me a few months ago. After this specific comment, we put our house in the market and we are going far away from Idaho. I have nothing against Mormons, maybe pitty towards the ones at my neighborhood, but I believe we must live in a very extreme area - being a block away from the LDS church. So hopefully, it is different everywhere else. So as a warning, choose your neighbourhood wisely before you buy. Fab

Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabforever View Post
I don't want to open a can of worms, but my subdivision is 89% Mormon and although my husband and I get invited to social events in the subdivision, my daughters are not allowed to play with the kids in the subdivision and the kids are not allowed to come to our house. It becomes quite obvious when as soon as my kids go outside, the LDS kids go inside and they decline every invitation to come to our house or to go places with my kids - such as the pool or the park. This has happened for 7 years, at two different neighborhoods I lived in. I actually confronted my LDS neighbor about it and she said when you become LDS, you are supposed to leave all your old friends and habits behind and that true LDS followers are not supposed to make last longing friendships with non LDS, some of this due to the fear that their kids will eventually want to have a relationship with non LDS kids and by this I mean getting married - which will lead to a marriage outside of the temple and they won't be accepted at the highest level of heaven. So they try and avoid deeper relationships with non LDS folks. This is something I heard from her and her husband and they are not afraid of saying what they believe in. Since hearing their reasoning, I respect their opinion and I stopped trying to make friendships with the LDS folks at my subdivision. I am not saying all LDS people are like that, but there are certain LDS churches that follow the religion word by word and therefore they don't want contact with non LDS and neither do they care to have friends with non LDS since they have all of their friends at the church and they all complete each other in their believes. I guess it is just hard to explain day after day to my 3 year old why she can't play with the kids outside, sometimes she screams from the window of our house and tries to talk to the kids only to be ignored. We are used to such behavior here where we live and we are happy to finally relocate from this area (we move in 30 days). I really don't want my daughters growing up with the idea that they are not good enough to play with the kids around them. The last comment made to us was that my daughter would be alone at the school bus because she doesn't go to the LDS church and therefore the kids wouldn't play with her. Also that she wouldn't be a proper girl and might corrupt the other kids. This was something a neighbor made a point to come and say to me a few months ago. After this specific comment, we put our house in the market and we are going far away from Idaho. I have nothing against Mormons, maybe pitty towards the ones at my neighborhood, but I believe we must live in a very extreme area - being a block away from the LDS church. So hopefully, it is different everywhere else. So as a warning, choose your neighbourhood wisely before you buy. Fab

I don't know whether Sage will allow this post to stand, but I simply have to respond. I don't care what you were told, but there is no such policy, teaching, or doctrine in the LDS faith regarding long lasting relationships outside of the Church. I have served in Bishoprics and High Councils and have never heard of any such thing. Anyone who has told you this must have significantly abused psychoactive drugs when they were young. It is counter to LDS beliefs and defeats one of the primary missions of the Church. I believe you, but I would advise that you look elsewhere for the real reason your neighbors are isolating you, because it's not for the reasons they have stated.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 PM

I don't see why he should delete my post, it is just my experience with the religion and much like people have good and bad experiences with other religions, I too had my share of unfriendly experiences with LDS. As far as what I was told, I am not LDS so I can't confirm what is true or not, I have no idea of the teachings of the church and therefore I can only post what I have experienced and what my neighbor said to me. Is it possible that different LDS churches follow different teachings? I see nothing wrong with my post, I think it is nice to see the negative side also since the world is not perfect and neither are humans - so even LDS people can commit mistakes, I am sure.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:44 PM

41 posts, read 155,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I don't know whether Sage will allow this post to stand, but I simply have to respond. I don't care what you were told, but there is no such policy, teaching, or doctrine in the LDS faith regarding long lasting relationships outside of the Church. Anyone who has told you this must have significantly abused psychoactive drugs when they were young. In your case, I suspect something else is going on, and what you were told was simply a cover up for the real reason.
funny how my own mother who is temple mormon has told me this after she converted and then tried to get me to convert as well. so have several friends who have went on missions. and the girl I dated after high school who broke it off because she was told to end it because I couldnt get her into heaven.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:58 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
You know I wish I could comment more on this thread, but due to my license, I'm not even going to go there. All I want to say is why do people have to "be something"? It just causes so much grief for everyone. Honestly sometimes I wish there was no such thing as religion. It only seems to create barriers amongst people instead of bringing them together.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:03 PM

Torrie, why don't you create a different nickname and use it when you need to talk more openly about things. You could come here as 'Torrie' and not the realtor sometimes. I am sure you have a lot of good information to share and no one would know it is you (Torrie, the realtor) posting. I am not even sure this can be done - is it against the rules here? We do appreciate your insights and it would be nice to hear more from you, especially because as Torrie (the person, not the realtor) I am sure you know facts about the area we don't know. Fab

Old 08-09-2007, 10:07 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
No can do, not allowed.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
No can do, not allowed.
What a shame! We do appreciate your help though. Thanks, Fab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho