Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 09:58 AM

17 posts, read 85,577 times

Advertisements

In my experience as a Mormon (Which is NOT like the "N" word to the LDS Members, although not preferred) living in Idaho and having lived in other states, is that it goes both ways. I have been isolated, ignored treated badly by people of other faiths. Both here in Idaho and in other states. I think it doesn't have anything to do with their faith, but their level of tolerance and acceptance. Some of my greatest friends aren't LDS.

I don't think the issue at hand is an LDS/Non LDS debate, but rather a tolerance, acceptance issue. Having lived in other states the ridicule and rude remarks about me BECAUSE of my faith is not surprising. The LDS member are used to it, and if they aren't then they live a very isolated life.

So just like a knife, it cuts both ways!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 12:50 PM

41 posts, read 155,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
It is funny. Some of these people who are so anti Mormon probably refer to themselves as being diverse open minded people. What hypocrites.
haha
I am open minded. I am anti mormon because how they have treated me, so dont even generalize.[/i]

Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinLittleRock View Post
haha
I am open minded. I am anti mormon because how they have treated me, so dont even generalize.[/i]
Mmmmmmmm, I don't think so.
So, what did all of these mean LDS members do to you to jade you so much? You grew up in a predominately LDS area and feel that way which is your right. But, how do you think non Catholics feel who grew or are growing up in an area where the Catholic church is dominant? I have heard many horror stories of how people in that situation have felt.
I think it all boils down to how strong of a person somebody is and how their self esteem was as they grew up.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Mmmmmmmm, I don't think so.
So, what did all of these mean LDS members do to you to jade you so much? You grew up in a predominately LDS area and feel that way which is your right. But, how do you think non Catholics feel who grew or are growing up in an area where the Catholic church is dominant? I have heard many horror stories of how people in that situation have felt.
I think it all boils down to how strong of a person somebody is and how their self esteem was as they grew up.
I have heard bad stories too. and being in that enviroment has made me even stronger as a person. so unless you crawl in my head and figure it all out, politley shut your trap about my growing up, because you were not there.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:50 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinLittleRock View Post
I have heard bad stories too. and being in that enviroment has made me even stronger as a person. so unless you crawl in my head and figure it all out, politley shut your trap about my growing up, because you were not there.
How did it make you a stronger person if you obviously are still jaded and upset by it?
And, I have no desire to crawl in your head, no way, sorry. And the last time I checked, I don't have a trap.
And I was not writing your "growing up".

Old 08-09-2007, 01:55 PM

obviously your idea of strength and mine are different. I never said I was upset. I just hate the rosy picture people portray of this situation, when I am proof that its not flowers and butterfly's could write a book if you'd like of all the times I dealt with being a second class citizen for not being mormon. I think I'll start later and post in series here.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:42 PM

355 posts, read 564,699 times
Quote:
It is funny. Some of these people who are so anti Mormon probably refer to themselves as being diverse open minded people. What hypocrites.
From what I have read here (no personal experience), I can't agree with your position on this post.

No one is saying that LDS folks aren't wanted or welcome, they are saying that the LDS folks are not welcoming THEM.

For that reason, your criticism makes absolutely no sense.

I don't discriminate against others, and being from Ca with it being the melting pot that it is, there would be plenty of opportunity to do so.

But, I would NEVER want to move to an area where my kids wouldn't be invited into their friends' houses or allowed to date a neighbor based on their religion.

I'd like to relocate to Idaho for them, so doing something that would be detrimental to their development or psyche would be 180 degrees off...

Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjoey View Post
From what I have read here (no personal experience), I can't agree with your position on this post.

No one is saying that LDS folks aren't wanted or welcome, they are saying that the LDS folks are not welcoming THEM.

For that reason, your criticism makes absolutely no sense.

I don't discriminate against others, and being from Ca with it being the melting pot that it is, there would be plenty of opportunity to do so.

But, I would NEVER want to move to an area where my kids wouldn't be invited into their friends' houses or allowed to date a neighbor based on their religion.

I'd like to relocate to Idaho for them, so doing something that would be detrimental to their development or psyche would be 180 degrees off...
Well, Joey, if you move to an area of Idaho dominated by the LDS faith, you and your family will experience little difficulty assimilating. In reading most of the posts regarding the Mormons shunning outsiders, I have picked up on what I believe to be a fair amount of personality dysfunction. In short, Johnny or Jane doesn’t play well with others.

Yes, Joey, I’m LDS, but I am retired and live part of the year in Mexico. No, I do not live in an American enclave; I live in the heart of Mexico on land that my son-in-law’s father sold to me. My wife and I have had to learn the language and live with the fact that the entire community is Catholic with a capital C. No one shuns us, but we have made it a point to involve ourselves in the community and the Church, even though we are not Catholic.

If you choose to move to Idaho and find yourself in an LDS community, remember the social life of Mormons is the Church. Dances, dinners, performances, you name it; it’s usually at the church. If you decline invitations to social events, you will be cut off to some extent, but it has nothing to do with them not liking you.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM

355 posts, read 564,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Well, Joey, if you move to an area of Idaho dominated by the LDS faith, you and your family will experience little difficulty assimilating. In reading most of the posts regarding the Mormons shunning outsiders, I have picked up on what I believe to be a fair amount of personality dysfunction. In short, Johnny or Jane doesn’t play well with others.

Yes, Joey, I’m LDS, but I am retired and live part of the year in Mexico. No, I do not live in an American enclave; I live in the heart of Mexico on land that my son-in-law’s father sold to me. My wife and I have had to learn the language and live with the fact that the entire community is Catholic with a capital C. No one shuns us, but we have made it a point to involve ourselves in the community and the Church, even though we are not Catholic.

If you choose to move to Idaho and find yourself in an LDS community, remember the social life of Mormons is the Church. Dances, dinners, performances, you name it; it’s usually at the church. If you decline invitations to social events, you will be cut off to some extent, but it has nothing to do with them not liking you.
I agree with what you are saying, and would plan to assimilate and not to try to turn Idaho into something that it is not. I have never had a problem getting along with people, and don't plan to start now.

But, the point of my post was to point out that it seemed that most of the comments that seemed 'anti mormon' (according to Syringaloid) were not posts that were critical of the LDS people, but rather pointing out that they felt that LDS folks would not allow them to be part of the community.

I don't have any personal experience though, as I mentioned.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 PM

sergant, then explain why I was never once invited to ANYTHING SOCIAL from mormons growing up. hmm?
or why even neighbor kids couldnt ride bikes with me because I wasnt one of them. dont blow smoke. mormons are a tightknit bunch of people, who in my experience do not really accept outsiders at all.

flame away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho