Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times

Advertisements

This has to be the most ignorant and illogical thread I've ever seen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Here's my question; Since Arizona police does not have the authority to deport people, what will they do once they arrest someone for coming into this country illegally?
The sheriff Joe hotel. If ICE releases them, they are not doing their jobs properly, but Joe's hotel has a basket weaving class, and brick making factory. Hungry ? Roasted scorpions. Reallly hungry ? desert rat souffle' ! nyum nyum what can a state do if the gubmint fails to uphold the law ? AZ should ship the worst of the worst to Georgetown, and the Hamptons. see how that goes over....

Old 08-01-2010, 12:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Stupid question.

Az is only concerned with national securoty as you put it as it pertains to THEIR STATE.

Now if Iran invaded Az, then yes it would be their concern.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 PM

286 posts, read 535,505 times
Quote:
Really? So if the state of Massachusetts decides to go to war with Iran because they violated sanctions put on by the U.N. and and US its okay? Or perhaps Nebraska wants to bomb Russia?

We have divisions of State and Federal because it provides a system of checks and balances.

I don't want a Governor in a different state making decisions of national security for me.

I don't want our current president making decisions of national security for me

Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM

301 posts, read 403,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
I don't want our current president making decisions of national security for me
At least he hasn't started an entire war based on a lie.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:11 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Here's my question; Since Arizona police does not have the authority to deport people, what will they do once they arrest someone for coming into this country illegally?

Let's send 'em northeast where they haven't had the privilege of having to deal with these thugs.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
They turn 'em over to the Feds.....

Now, if we want to compare a bit......looking back quite a few decades......

Prohibition. Sure, the feds enforced it, but also with a lot of help from local police depts. Alcohol is again legal of course, with some exceptions.

consider those dry counties......
Sure, I'm not saying local and state police can't help, especially since they already do under federal law, but

A.) Prohibition wasn't an issue of national security and
B.) Prohibition was passed by the federal government, not one state.

I don't have a problem with state police officers helping to enforce immigration laws, but I do have a problem with states passing laws enforcing more immigration legislation.

I don't care if you disagree about the power between State vs Federal power, because the fact is that current law states it is a federal issue, not a state one. You are all getting way to abstract.

We don't allow states to individually put sanctions on Iran, because that is an issue that we must handle as a Country, not as individual sates.

"Supreme Court ruled in 1875 that immigration was a federal responsibility. The Immigration Act of 1891 established an Office of the Superintendent of Immigration within the Treasury Department."

Now you can spew your anit-federalist ideals all you want, but the law is what the law is.

Last edited by TruthBeautyGoodness; 08-01-2010 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Sure, I'm not saying local and state police can't help, especially since they already do under federal law, but

A.) Prohibition wasn't an issue of national security and
B.) Prohibition was a Federal law, not a state law.

I don't have a problem with state police officers helping to enforce immigration laws, but I do have a problem with states passing laws enforcing more immigration legislation.

I don't care if you disagree about the power between State vs Federal power, because the fact is that current law states it is a federal issue, not a state one. You are all getting way to abstract.

We don't allow states to individually put sanctions on Iran, because that is an issue that we must handle as a Country, not as individual sates.
Again, you are comparing an orange and a pen, you aren't even in the same ballpark.

A large part of this country's problems is that State's rights have been taken away. And it was never meant to be that way.

Now you are double speaking.....
you don't mind the State's assisting but you don't want them enforcing the laws. That makes no sense at all. Especially when what they are trying to accomplish and enforce is a very real problem. Again, I say.....citizens of this country, legal, law abiding, tax paying citizens are being harmed because of these POS illegals, so therefore someone must step up to the plate. There is no other choice.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 PM

If someone was prevented from having an abortion, a city police officer who has never been to D.C. would/could step in and enforce the federal law allowing abortions across the country.

This is an example of a
city police officer enforcing a federal law that his state has no control over.

Much like how a police officer in any state anywhere right now in the country can arrest someone if they are found to not have citizenship. But a state cannot pass any new laws concerning immigration until the Supreme Court ruling of 1875 stating that immigration was a federal responsibility is overturned.

You are arguing why the current law is wrong. I am arguing that the current law should be followed until it is no longer the current law.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:08 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,188 times
Quote:
Really? So if the state of Massachusetts decides to go to war with Iran because they violated sanctions put on by the U.N. and and US its okay? Or perhaps Nebraska wants to bomb Russia?

We have divisions of State and Federal because it provides a system of checks and balances.

I don't want a Governor in a different state making decisions of national security for me.
Are you saying that if someone was breaking into your house, and the authorities in charge stood by and did nothing (even encouraged it) you would also step aside and do nothing? What if they were violating a member of your family while looting your home? At what point would you feel it was necessary to defend yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration