Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times

Advertisements

What is even more troubling to me is the number of bi-lingual Hispanics mostly who are citizens that refuse to speak English unless they have to. Therefore, not only are businesses catering to illegal alien Spanish speakers by requiring job applicants to be able to speak Spanish but they are catering to Hispanic citizens who want to feel all warm and fuzzy by being spoken to and reached in Spanish rather than English. There is definately an non-assimilation factor going on with Hispanics and Hispanic immigrants whether they be legal or illegal.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Carlos Slim is the world's richest man and a Mexican national. Let him finance ESL classes since he probably benefits the most from illegal Mexican migration to the US.
Actually he's hurt from it more than anything else because his businesses rely on volume of usership (telecommunications, retail, etc.) and are mostly Mexico based. It would be a conflict of interest for Carlos to finance ESL for Mexican nationals.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What is even more troubling to me is the number of bi-lingual Hispanics mostly who are citizens that refuse to speak English unless they have to. Therefore, not only are businesses catering to illegal alien Spanish speakers by requiring job applicants to be able to speak Spanish but they are catering to Hispanic citizens who want to feel all warm and fuzzy by being spoken to and reached in Spanish rather than English. There is definately an non-assimilation factor going on with Hispanics and Hispanic immigrants whether they be legal or illegal.
Yeah, you're right. Those jerks. They should immediately forget any other language they know and only think and speak in English going forward....if nothing else because it suits your personal preferences, yay you!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah, you're right. Those jerks. They should immediately forget any other language they know and only think and speak in English going forward....if nothing else because it suits your personal preferences, yay you!
And you accuse others of putting words in YOUR mouth? I didn't say that. There is a time and a place for everything. I don't care what language someone chooses to use at home. Did you not read what I said about why there are so many employment ads requiring that one has to know Spanish in order to get a job in this country? I gave you two reasons why.

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-09-2010 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
I know alot of Mexican immigrants and I've never heard a single one declaring US citizenship unless they actually went through the citizenship process
Sorry, but they declare U.S. citizenship each time they steal an ID of a citizen, and then claim it as their own.

Quote:
Quit generalizing. There may be a select few who fit into this category but none of the ones I know demand welfare benefits, refuse to learn English and label people as racists when people complain.
Perhaps this is true among your circle of illegal alien friends, but there are millions of others who do in fact fit the description as stated by Eleanora1.

Quote:
If you look back in history first generation immigrants would come to the US speaking their foreign language and would go through essentially the same process that current immigrants go through...nothing has changed.
Yes, plenty has changed. In the past, there were no special accommodations for foreign languages. There was no press 1 for English, 2 for Italian, etc. Immigrants either learned English or they could not expect to prosper in this country. It was sink or swim, no exceptions.

Quote:
What do you expect them to do? Send all their citizens to government sponsored ESL classes? I'm sorry but this is just unrealistic at this point. I'm not sure how much you know about Mexico, but the government has far more serious issues they need to focus on at this point, and not to mention that the money isn't there to be funding these types of programs.
So, we shouldn’t expect Mexico to send their U.S.-bound citizens to ESL classes, but we should expect U.S. taxpayers to foot the bill once they illegally enter our country? You can’t be serious.

Unlike Mexico, we have unlimited funds and no pressing issues.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:46 AM

532 posts, read 1,055,686 times
What troubles me is the prevalence of these illegal alien interlopers in the Southwest not speaking Navajo and Apache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration