Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I don't have all the data. I don't claim to know right now. I do know that enforcing our laws as written could be pretty bad economically speaking. One study estimates that illegal immigrants will add 1.5 trillion to GDP over the next 10 years. The cost estimates vary significantly, but most figures are at around $100 billion annually (Heritage Foundation)...I would need to do more research.
One study estimates illegal aliens will add $1.5 trillion over the next 10 Years? Based on what? I do believe an issue of this magnitude requires a tad more than ONE study. Don’t you?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
To have a sensible approach to Immigration Legal and Illegal Obama would have to go.

These issues can't be addressed while we have a Buffoon in office in perpetual campaign mode willing to bend over every time he sees a chance to advance his political fortunes no matter what the costs.

His tired rhetoric,Lies and hollow promises are only clouding the realities of these issues. In short the American Public doesn't trust this FOOL to do the right thing.

Just look at the issues and promises he made about Iraq
,Gitmo,Afghanistan,the Economy,Immigration Reform,Tax cuts,Unemployment,etc,etc...
Yes, I am sure you would be much happier with Dubya back in office so he can resolve the issue by making all illegals into legals through amnesty. As for who the American Public trusts we will see in 2012. Oh what is the issue with legal immigration?
Casper

Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, I am sure you would be much happier with Dubya back in office so he can resolve the issue by making all illegals into legals through amnesty. As for who the American Public trusts we will see in 2012. Oh what is the issue with legal immigration?
Casper
What an idiotic reply.Bush couldn't do that in 8 years( 2 terms) and a President can only serve 2 terms in office so stop trying to DELUDE yourself with that scenario.

Your presumption= TOTAL FAIL !!!!!

BTW WAKE UP !!!!! Bush Jr. has been out of office for 2 YEARS !!! Time to get with the times (2010).

What is your next Ludicrous statement going to be? Here I'll help you,it makes about as much sense as science cloning Kennedy and having him return to grant blanket Amnesty through Executive Order even though He would no longer be in office and why stop there you can bring up fictional scenarios about every President from Washington to Clinton also.

BTW Thanks for a good laugh,is that the best you can come up with?
Ill top that maybe Muhammad,Buddha,Spiderman or Jesus Christ Himself can return to pass Amnesty,would you be happy then?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
What an idiotic reply.Bush couldn't do that in 8 years( 2 terms) and a President can only serve 2 terms in office so stop trying to DELUDE yourself with that scenario. Typical, you missed the point completely. Oh and that is exactly what Dubya proposed to do but I am sure you do not want to discuss what the right has done.

Your presumption= TOTAL FAIL !!!!!Which one was that, think your grading is a bit biased

BTW WAKE UP !!!!! Bush Jr. has been out of office for 2 YEARS !!! Time to get with the times (2010). Really? Jeez I hadn't noticed glad you have a calender.

What is your next Ludicrous statement going to be? Here I'll help you,it makes about as much sense as science cloning Kennedy and having him return to grant blanket Amnesty through Executive Order even though He would no longer be in office and why stop there you can bring up fictional scenarios about every President from Washington to Clinton also.I will make up my own speculation if you don't mind, I saw you had no problem making up yours in an attempt to tell us all what President Obama wants and why, but then again I am sure your cyrstal ball is working overtime.

BTW Thanks for a good laugh,is that the best you can come up with?
Ill top that maybe Muhammad,Buddha,Spiderman or Jesus Christ Himself can return to pass Amnesty,would you be happy then?
When President Obama proposes an amnesty bill let us know, I was speaking of those that had, but you are obviously not a student of history only rhetoric. When you can answer with an adult level reply let me know.
Casper

Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
One study estimates illegal aliens will add $1.5 trillion over the next 10 Years? Based on what? I do believe an issue of this magnitude requires a tad more than ONE study. Don’t you?
Obviously there have been multiple studies. That is an addition to the GDP, roughly 5% of the GDP (slightly less proportionate to the population). I think it was the Immigration Policy Center that published that one in 2009 or 2008.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
There is when the law needs to be changed. Prohibition is a good example. Instead of saying "hey there is a problem, we need to change the law" and insisting that enforcement only will fix the problem is irrational in the face of the evidence. Arguments that don't into consideration the costs of total enforcement and the costs of non-enforcement are irrational. Esp. when trying to fix the current problem.
It is only your "opinion" that our immigration laws need to be changed. I don't think most Americans would agree with you. Enforcement doesn't stop all crimes but it is certainly a deterrant. What is the alternative, allow people to behave in a way that is detrimental to our society? Same thing applies about illegal immigration.

Prohibition isn't a good example. Prohibition prohibited all alcoholic beverages. We have a legal way to to come here so therefore immigration isn't prohibited per se.

Enforcing any of our laws costs money but it is a necessary evil to remain a nation of laws and to protect the innocent.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
I'd say fine him, charge him for back taxes, allow him to finish his one term and then, after he ruins what's left of America, make him a citizen.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is only your "opinion" that our immigration laws need to be changed. I don't think most Americans would agree with you. Enforcement doesn't stop all crimes but it is certainly a deterrant. What is the alternative, allow people to behave in a way that is detrimental to our society? Same thing applies about illegal immigration.

Prohibition isn't a good example. Prohibition prohibited all alcoholic beverages. We have a legal way to to come here so therefore immigration isn't prohibited per se.

Enforcing any of our laws costs money but it is a necessary evil to remain a nation of laws and to protect the innocent.
If there are illegal immigrants and if the economic impact is too great, then the laws need to be changed. Pure and simple. I personally don't want a double dip recession nor do I want this many illegal immigrants.

Prohibition is a great example. People broke the law immensely during prohibition. There were economic consequences to enforcement as worded. The same thing with our current immigration laws. Look at the consequences of the prohibition, not at the wording. Then you'll see a parallel.

Enforcing bad laws cost too much. It's not a necessary evil to enforce bad policies.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'd say fine him, charge him for back taxes, allow him to finish his one term and then, after he ruins what's left of America, make him a citizen.
Who? Are you implying Obama is not a citizen?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Who? Are you implying Obama is not a citizen?
LOL. That's exactly what I'm saying.

Just the fact that the Gov. of Hawaii is threatening to show proof, but hasn't, is proof enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration