Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
1. I don't need you to make up excuses as to why Americans won't take the jobs. The point is they won't and migrant workers will.

2. Vistas are obviously hard to get if it is still more of an incentive to come here illegally. Vistas are too much trouble.
Is that really your response? How very closed-minded and pointless in this discussion. You tell me that you don't NEED me to make up excuses? Excuses? What excuses or are they just common knowledge for anyone who knows the economic and social history and trends of the United States. Are you just not able to accept the obvious, logical and economically-supported truth. Or are you unable to hear other people's perspective?

Things have changed so much in the history of the United States. There aren't going to be as many people jumping to take an agricultural job 20 miles from their home and that is why if farmers want legal workers they should go through the process.

Oh, I work in a specific field and NO it is not as difficult to RECRUIT and HIRE migrant workers if you are a farmer. It is their responsibility to find their workers legally. It is unprofessional, lazy and sloppy to wait until the last minute to hire workers.

Quote:
1. Farmers tie labor shortage to state's new immigration law, ask for help *| ajc.com

The supposed legal workers you see obviously aren't enough( as if you can look and tell who is legal anyway lol). Yet GA is still hovering above 9% unemployment.

2. Call it what you want, if I would rather risk everything to sneak over vs getting one to be legal, it must not be all that simple.
Of course they are going to say that. It takes TIME to phase in LEGAL workers. Of course they are going to be hurting. You all (people who act like we just NEED illegal immigrant agricultural workers) are not realizing that it isn't going to be cured overnight. You can't expect farmers to all of a sudden have their workforce filled back up after they lose their illegal workers. A lot of farmers are too lazy and unprofessional to even look for legal workers. I know ...

Quote:
Then you aren't solving the problem. If you know they are aware of the visas and still would rather risk so much to come here illegally to work then option isn't viable. You can keep saying they are "adults" all day but visas are obviously out of reach or not a option and needs to be easier to obtain if they would rather put themselves in danger. You still haven't answers my original question of why Americans are filling the holes in Georgias or Alabama's farming and this discussion is not about supposed other job illegals do ( as if we know they are illegal by looking).
Dude, you need to realize how selfish illegal immigrants are. Once you realize that, the better you will be. They would rather just take a chance at sneaking in than going the legal way because it is EASIER. If you can't cut it in the United States and you can't get a visa or come in legally, then what, it's OK to lie and sneak in?

Quote:
Then you why would you be debating them then if you could care less about comming up with a solution? Why bother unless you just like to argue or troll?

Then you agree that Americans aren't up for the task and visas are out of reach, otherwise they would just get them. We need it done though right? Why kick a machine that isn't broken? So we are back at square one.

Since there is no such thing as a "fair wage" they are working market wages that Americans think they are too good for obviously. I suggest you start a new thread if you want more answers.
The only one acting like a troll is you. There is a big difference between you and those here that oppose illegal immigration. We LISTEN ... we hear the other side, you aren't. When someone makes SOME sense on the topic of illegal immigration, I have no problem accepting it (I very rarely here something that isn't emotion-driven or compassion-driven). However, when people like yourself talk about this, you all just make excuses and carry no facts. Yet, you keep talking and try to debate this.

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2011 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Dude, you need to realize how selfish illegal immigrants are. Once you realize that, the better you will be. They would rather just take a chance at sneaking in than going the legal way because it is EASIER. If you can't cut it in the United States and you can't get a visa or come in legally, then what, it's OK to lie and sneak in?
I do things because they are easier than the alternative all the time. Just today I walked to work the fastest way instead of walking around the city 10 times. SELFISH!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I do things because they are easier than the alternative all the time. Just today I walked to work the fastest way instead of walking around the city 10 times. SELFISH!
You're not required to walk around the city 10 times, are you? And illegal immigrant was required to enter the United States legally, by law. He or she has chosen to take the option of not following that rule, the easy way. I understand that some have tried and tried before or things have gotten so bad that they have no choice, but how much of that will we justify or excuse? When something as serious as entering the United States and working here illegally is done, being selfish is not an option. You do the crime, you suffer the consequences.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
You're not required to walk around the city 10 times, are you? And illegal immigrant was required to enter the United States legally, by law. He or she has chosen to take the option of not following that rule, the easy way. I understand that some have tried and tried before or things have gotten so bad that they have no choice, but how much of that will we justify or excuse? When something as serious as entering the United States and working here illegally is done, being selfish is not an option. You do the crime, you suffer the consequences.
So once it's illegal, it's automatically selfish? The government has created a system where entering illegally is substantially easier than getting documentation. This is a problem with the system, not the people who are making rational choices by avoiding the much more difficult option.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 PM

951 posts, read 745,471 times
Quote:
When something as serious as entering the United States and working here illegally is done, being selfish is not an option. You do the crime, you suffer the consequences.
notsureifserious.jpg

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
So once it's illegal, it's automatically selfish? The government has created a system where entering illegally is substantially easier than getting documentation. This is a problem with the system, not the people who are making rational choices by avoiding the much more difficult option.
It IS selfish, yes. You sneak ahead of other people? Yeah, that's pretty selfish. I said it, ... what?

Also, yeah, it's rational to them, ... but is it rational to everyone else? If there are people that have to pay to help them live here (which no one can deny that many illegal immigrants are taking more than they give), then you can't go ahead and say it is "rational."

Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times
Quote:
Wait, that's how they hand out visas? That can't be right, because people who can "cut it" (as evidenced by the fact that they GET and HOLD jobs) currently have NO way of getting a visa. The fact that visas are available for other people doesn't indicate that they did something wrong. The deck is stacked.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Also, yeah, it's rational to them, ... but is it rational to everyone else? If there are people that have to pay to help them live here (which no one can deny that many illegal immigrants are taking more than they give), then you can't go ahead and say it is "rational."
That's not a question that makes sense. The economic decisions of one person are separate from those of others.

If you're asking "is it rational to allow immigrants to enter this country" then that's a separate question. I would say that even with the complaints made here, minor reforms (waiting periods for welfare, etc.) would make it unquestionably beneficial.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:32 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times

YouTube - ‪Legal Workers Line Up for Restaurant Jobs After Sheriff Joe Raids‬‏

Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM

63 posts, read 274,093 times
You gotta give it to fox news. The spin is blatant and almost artful. It resembles a Twix commercial more than a news segment, doesn't use too many big words, and lets you know that white people are the real Americans. They even got an African American woman to read it so you don't have to feel racist

Last edited by TheBletch-PortlandOR; 08-26-2011 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration