Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times

Advertisements

This issue above others has always torn me. On one hand I am a person that believes in the rule of law and I think laws should be enforced. Those that are not should be taken off the books. So it really makes me mad when people sneak into the country illegally. I have always been of the opinion that such people should be caught and deported and the people who hire them sent to jail or subjected to asset forfeiture or both. But on the other hand, I see these people as a real positive for our country. They get up and work hard everyday. They do jobs that Americans would not touch for any wage. And frankly they work harder and have better character than many people who were born here and are lazy bums or criminals. I honestly think we need to help these people in some way. I just don't know how to help them without encouraging more of them to sneak in. We need some kind of amnesty so they can stay but an amnesty that will not encourage more illegal entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
This issue above others has always torn me. On one hand I am a person that believes in the rule of law and I think laws should be enforced. Those that are not should be taken off the books. So it really makes me mad when people sneak into the country illegally. I have always been of the opinion that such people should be caught and deported and the people who hire them sent to jail or subjected to asset forfeiture or both.
I agree.

Quote:
But on the other hand, I see these people as a real positive for our country. They get up and work hard everyday. They do jobs that Americans would not touch for any wage.
That is a myth. Many are working surprisingly good jobs (there have been stories posted on this forum about illegals making $18+ per hour). In addition, some Americans who have been out of work for a long period would take just about any job.

Quote:
And frankly they work harder and have better character than many people who were born here and are lazy bums or criminals. I honestly think we need to help these people in some way. I just don't know how to help them without encouraging more of them to sneak in. We need some kind of amnesty so they can stay but an amnesty that will not encourage more illegal entry.
Look at what happened after the 1986 amnesty. Amnesty only encourages more illegal immigration.

This issue is an emotional one to me as well. However, I am more concerned about the American poor. They are the ones who are most harmed by illegal immigration. Focusing on my concern for them allows me to not focus on my concern for the illegal aliens.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
This issue above others has always torn me. On one hand I am a person that believes in the rule of law and I think laws should be enforced. Those that are not should be taken off the books. So it really makes me mad when people sneak into the country illegally. I have always been of the opinion that such people should be caught and deported and the people who hire them sent to jail or subjected to asset forfeiture or both. But on the other hand, I see these people as a real positive for our country. They get up and work hard everyday. They do jobs that Americans would not touch for any wage. And frankly they work harder and have better character than many people who were born here and are lazy bums or criminals. I honestly think we need to help these people in some way. I just don't know how to help them without encouraging more of them to sneak in. We need some kind of amnesty so they can stay but an amnesty that will not encourage more illegal entry.
All you have to do is consider our unemployment rate is double theirs -- at least when it comes to the country of the bulk of the illegals.

It's not sustainable to keep millions of Americans on government handouts and indefinitely extend unemployment and keep bringing in millions of foreigners to do the work.

They have their country, we have ours. If there is something they don't like about their country, they can work for reforms, but we can't provide all the jobs for the entire world and allow Americans to never work again.

And it might be true that many Americans have become too lazy to ever work, have no desire but to live off government handouts but that is not the answer. Americans have to work.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
You need to educate yourself on this subject. Illegals are not doing jobs that Americans won't do. Who do you think did those jobs before the arrival of illegal aliens? They also brought down the living wage on those jobs. Working hard does not excuse law breaking and they aren't all hard workers anyway.

Since most Americans aren't lazy bums or criminals why are you using them as justification for illegal aliens in our midst? Our country is already very generous in helping the poor in other countries. Our country is going broke in case you didn't notice. We need to start taking care of our own for a change. Why should we give them amnesty to stay? We need the jobs they are holding and the 1986 amnesty proved that it just encourages more illegal entry. They need to go back to their homelands and seek changes there.

Last edited by chicagonut; 01-02-2012 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-02-2012, 11:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Besides - there is an H2A visa program that has no cap on the number of visas given for all those jobs that Americans won't do.

The catch however is that legal wages have to be paid, and some feeble attempt has to be made to offer the job to Americans first.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
I get tired of foreigners who voluntarily break our laws being held up as role models. They're nothing of the sort. There's nothing positive about someone who breaks into another country without permission, forges documents to take a job and then refuses to leave.

Illegals are simply arrogant creeps who believe themselves about American laws. They should not be rewarded for that behavior.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
There is not one single job out there that wouldn't be done for the appropriate price. Excuses to short cuts are what I am hearing just to maximize profits illegally.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Frankly, I am so tired of hearing that they do the jobs Americans won't do. I have seen such an increase of unemployed young men starting yard care services here to feed their families. They do wonderful work and work just as hard in the intense heat in AZ. My son has one of those jobs while going to school...he washes dishes and preps food in a restaurant. He feels lucky to have it right now. I think it is time to secure our borders and take care of Americans, especially the servicemen and women coming home to find long lines in the employment agencies. Build the darn fence now. If we have to send them food, then let us be humane and send them food. But they can go home to fix their problems instead of adding to ours.

One more thing, the young men doing these yardwork services have given us lower prices for doing the same task. Guess who I am hiring from now on?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
They do jobs that Americans would not touch for any wage. And frankly they work harder and have better character than many people who were born here and are lazy bums or criminals. I honestly think we need to help these people in some way. I just don't know how to help them without encouraging more of them to sneak in. We need some kind of amnesty so they can stay but an amnesty that will not encourage more illegal entry.
I respect your opinion, but I want to ask you which jobs illegal immigrants are doing that "Americans would not touch for any wage?" The illegal immigrants that I have known have worked in places such as restaurants, schools, or they are working and getting some help from the government.

"Help" them? How? How about the country from which they come from helping them out?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM

313 posts, read 329,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is not one single job out there that wouldn't be done for the appropriate price. Excuses to short cuts are what I am hearing just to maximize profits illegally.
You mean scrubbing toilets for $15 an hour in order to keep up with the jonses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration