Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:11 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You're mixing apples with oranges here. What you are doing is not a mispelling. All we are asking you is why do you capitalize the letter O in You? So this is a mannerism all of a sudden? Why are you getting so testy over a simple question and why the big chip on your shoulder? I'm done with this nonsense.
Misspelling...

And it certainly is...

I'm not "testy", it is a quote from someone...

Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why so nit-picky over English usage and spelling? I don't ask why YOu consistently misspell "sovereign" in post after post. Certainly I'm not going to fight over every single god damned word.

Let it go, I am free to express my mannerisms in any way I want to...
You certainly are. But, it isn't random, or an inadvertent misspelling of the word. It's quite deliberate. And, I know exactly why YOu're doing it.

Back on topic. I have the same question as malamute. How is your wife relevant to this topic, or for that matter, ANY topic involving illegal immigration? Also, please explain the connection between Mexicans being targeted (the topic of this thread), and the issuance of Matricula cards, or the price of a Mexican passport? Why would the average citizen "target" Mexicans for having or not having either? How would they even know?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is something that you have started all of a sudden. It makes no sense to capitalize the Y and O and not the U. You are doing it with every post now. Is it so hard to answer a simple question? I have wondered myself and one other in here why you are doing this. So that makes three of us who have asked you now.
Subconsciously I think he's trying to say he's the one guilty of that. I saw "YO" which means "I" in Spanish and didn't notice the "u" since it was lowercase. I thought he was admitting what he does.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Subconsciously I think he's trying to say he's the one guilty of that. I saw "YO" which means "I" in Spanish and didn't notice the "u" since it was lowercase. I thought he was admitting what he does.
As always, YOur speculations are wholly and utterly off...

It's actually quite amusing to see the bandwidth developed on the capitalization of one letter, when we have so much conflicting mutually exclusive logic coexisting within some members here....

Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
What I want to know is if anyone just walking down the street could be identified from 10 feet away as a Mexican, a Salvadorian, a Guatemalan or a Tejano. I don't think so. And u;less you're very very good in the Spanish language you probably wouldn't be able to clearly identify them by speech patters or accent...except maybe the Tejano and even that would be a task for most. Mexicans are singled out because they are the largest group within illegal community and I'll bet very often the person identified is not a Mexican at all.

If you live in LA test yourself. Go to MacArthur Park and see if you can identify what Latin American country the come from just by looking at them.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
What I want to know is if anyone just walking down the street could be identified from 10 feet away as a Mexican, a Salvadorian, a Guatemalan or a Tejano. I don't think so. And u;less you're very very good in the Spanish language you probably wouldn't be able to clearly identify them by speech patters or accent...except maybe the Tejano and even that would be a task for most. Mexicans are singled out because they are the largest group within illegal community and I'll bet very often the person identified is not a Mexican at all.

If you live in LA test yourself. Go to MacArthur Park and see if you can identify what Latin American country the come from just by looking at them.
Yes - certain people at least can tell. If a white American is walking down the street in Germany, and couldn't speak German, many Germans will be able to pick up on the Americanness. Same with a black American in an African country, most likely the people of that country will know that person as an American.

I've been stopped and questioned by border patrol 3 different times and I was down at the river once and some white Americans yelled "welcome to America" at me -- and I'm as American as it gets. But I know what you have to do to look like you might be an illegal. It's not race obviously.

Where I live, 90% of people are hispanic - but one time I observed the border patrol on the other block observing two teenaged kids. The kids were dressed in blue jeans and t-shirts with English words, and tennis shoes and backpacks. They walked up the street and didn't see the border patrol on the other block.

Then the kids made it to a busy intersection and pulled bags of limes out from their backpacks to sell -- and suddenly the border patrol snared them.

I don't think most tejanos could be confused with Guatemalans or most illegals from Mexico. They don't speak the same kind of Spanish. And certainly Hondurans and Salvadorans can be distinguished from tejanos and Mexicans. The minute you hear them say "vos" you know.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Yes - certain people at least can tell. If a white American is walking down the street in Germany, and couldn't speak German, many Germans will be able to pick up on the Americanness. Same with a black American in an African country, most likely the people of that country will know that person as an American.

I've been stopped and questioned by border patrol 3 different times and I was down at the river once and some white Americans yelled "welcome to America" at me -- and I'm as American as it gets. But I know what you have to do to look like you might be an illegal. It's not race obviously.

Where I live, 90% of people are hispanic - but one time I observed the border patrol on the other block observing two teenaged kids. The kids were dressed in blue jeans and t-shirts with English words, and tennis shoes and backpacks. They walked up the street and didn't see the border patrol on the other block.

Then the kids made it to a busy intersection and pulled bags of limes out from their backpacks to sell -- and suddenly the border patrol snared them.

I don't think most tejanos could be confused with Guatemalans or most illegals from Mexico. They don't speak the same kind of Spanish. And certainly Hondurans and Salvadorans can be distinguished from tejanos and Mexicans. The minute you hear them say "vos" you know.
That reminds me of my ex, a legal immigrant from Argentina. He always seemed to know the national origin of Hispanics we would see. I suppose it's similar to black people having the ability to know when a person who "appears" to be white, is actually black. Of course, there are always exceptions, but generally, we know.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:

You've said essetially what I did. I did mention that the only way to tell is by accent or speech patterns not by looks.

The first paragraph where you talked about Europeans and so-called "white Americans" is the same. It's not the physical look it's the air (aire) that a person carries. walks different, dresses different. I don't think many on the street policemen can identify Mexicans and Central Americans by speech pattern. The use of "vos" by a guatamalan would go unnoticed by most uniformed policemen. ICE agents is another question. I worked on the Mariel parole panels with a lot of Tejano USPB agents and most of them could not tell where I was from by my accent. The ones who were 10 year verterans and were completely bi-lingual did better but not all Tejanos are bi-lingual today.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
You've said essetially what I did. I did mention that the only way to tell is by accent or speech patterns not by looks.

The first paragraph where you talked about Europeans and so-called "white Americans" is the same. It's not the physical look it's the air (aire) that a person carries. walks different, dresses different. I don't think many on the street policemen can identify Mexicans and Central Americans by speech pattern. The use of "vos" by a guatamalan would go unnoticed by most uniformed policemen. ICE agents is another question. I worked on the Mariel parole panels with a lot of Tejano USPB agents and most of them could not tell where I was from by my accent. The ones who were 10 year verterans and were completely bi-lingual did better but not all Tejanos are bi-lingual today.
Yes -- but also by actions, mannerisms and other cultural traits. Not race -- race would be no indication.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That reminds me of my ex, a legal immigrant from Argentina. He always seemed to know the national origin of Hispanics we would see. I suppose it's similar to black people having the ability to know when a person who "appears" to be white, is actually black. Of course, there are always exceptions, but generally, we know.
Yes - and most American blacks and I would think whites can distinguish an immigrant from Africa or Haiti from an American black. YOu can usually tell if someone is from Boston as opposed to being from Alabama. (The YOu is just a joke).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration