U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Reputation: 5895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Ok.

This is another shining example of a cop from Texas doing something that perpetuates every negative stereotype people have of law enforcement.
Ok; let us know what'd you do if you were the cop and you were dealing with a felony situation like in this thread.

 
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,752 posts, read 18,400,837 times
Reputation: 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually a cop that isn't afraid to confront criminals is not a bad thing at all.
Well aware, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really? What did this trooper do wrong?
Opening fire on a vehicle for no legitimate reason is a good start.

Quote:
You're stereotyping most law enforcement personnel as being lawless renegades and in particular in the state of Texas?
In Texas? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ok; let us know what'd you do if you were the cop and you were dealing with a felony situation like in this thread.
Basically nothing. Let the helicopter do what helicopters do and safely trail them.

Such a simple concept.
 
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well aware, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Opening fire on a vehicle for no legitimate reason is a good start.

In Texas? Yes.



Basically nothing. Let the helicopter do what helicopters do and safely trail them.

Such a simple concept.
No legitimate reason? Did you read what happened? The trooper was well within his rights to try and disable the tires on that truck.

Where is your proof that many or most law enforcement officers in Texas are rotten apples?
 
Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,752 posts, read 18,400,837 times
Reputation: 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No legitimate reason? Did you read what happened? The trooper was well within his rights to try and disable the tires on that truck.
Yes, I read the story through, and my point still stands. This truck was out in the middle of the open, desolate desert, suspected of having drugs and posed no immediate threat to anyone, especially to the trooper and the helicopter. Opening fire was reckless, and incredibly stupid. There was literally zero justification for his actions and a little rational thought could have spared some lives.

Quote:
Where is your proof that many or most law enforcement officers in Texas are rotten apples?
I said that is the stereotype, which I don't think is even particularly debatable, even if you feel the stereotype has no merit.
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
 
26,163 posts, read 14,467,561 times
Reputation: 17235
2 senseless murders FOR WHAT???????

I dont care WHY,its still more bloody evil done by this country
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601
I'm amazed that there was a helicopter, with sharpshooter, able to respond within a short amount of time, for an area that is not very populated. Why do they have a need for airborne snipers on a regular enough basis anyway? When that is viewed as a deployed asset, aren't we in a hammer-and-nail mentality?
 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I'm amazed that there was a helicopter, with sharpshooter, able to respond within a short amount of time, for an area that is not very populated. Why do they have a need for airborne snipers on a regular enough basis anyway? When that is viewed as a deployed asset, aren't we in a hammer-and-nail mentality?
As I am constantly amazed that no matter the circumstances any law enforcement agency or personnel that tries to repel illegal immigrants in any way shape or form (even where suspected drug smuggling is involved) is viewed as being evil by some in here.

I refer back to LR's post #2. "The tires were shot out, the driver lost control and 2 occupants died. DPS policy's general manual, which says troopers are allowed to use such force when defending themselves or someone else from serious harm or death. Shooting at vehicles is justified to disable a vehicle or when deadly force is deemed necessary. The tires were shot out and 2 of the 8 occupants were hit. Kinda hard to know they were under a tarp in the bed of the truck."
 
Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,752 posts, read 18,400,837 times
Reputation: 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As I am constantly amazed that no matter the circumstances any law enforcement agency or personnel that tries to repel illegal immigrants in any way shape or form (even where suspected drug smuggling is involved) is viewed as being evil by some in here.
And I'm generally pro-law enforcement and pro-government (and can show you posts on this very forum where I come to their defense) so when I take a stand against them, it's usually for good reason. Look below.

Quote:
I refer back to LR's post #2. "The tires were shot out, the driver lost control and 2 occupants died. DPS policy's general manual, which says troopers are allowed to use such force when defending themselves or someone else from serious harm or death. Shooting at vehicles is justified to disable a vehicle or when deadly force is deemed necessary. The tires were shot out and 2 of the 8 occupants were hit. Kinda hard to know they were under a tarp in the bed of the truck."
Read the sentence directly before the one you quoted.

Quote:
troopers are allowed to use such force when defending themselves or someone else from serious harm or death
This situation does not meet that criteria. This truck was in a desolate, open area and no one's life was in immediate danger. There was no reason to open fire on the truck at that time, the trooper was out of line in doing so and people paid with their lives when they shouldn't have had to.
 
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And I'm generally pro-law enforcement and pro-government (and can show you posts on this very forum where I come to their defense) so when I take a stand against them, it's usually for good reason. Look below.



Read the sentence directly before the one you quoted.



This situation does not meet that criteria. This truck was in a desolate, open area and no one's life was in immediate danger. There was no reason to open fire on the truck at that time, the trooper was out of line in doing so and people paid with their lives when they shouldn't have had to.
I disagree. The trooper was just trying to shoot out the tires to stop the truck. Drug smuggling was suspected and he had no way of knowing there were people hiding under the tarp and he wasn't aiming at the tarp. These people paid with their lives because they put themselves in harms way.
 
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM
 
3,853 posts, read 3,163,124 times
Reputation: 2452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It is regrettable that lives were lost, however the root cause remains the same. People opted to violate our laws by entering illegally. They further compounded the crime by refusing to yield to the police. No where is it written that crime is a safe path to making a living. Had the illegals obeyed our laws all of them would more than likely still be alive today.
Given the amount of drugs smuggled across the border it was a reasonable assumption that this vehicle was being used to smuggle drugs.
Really simple, I agree, if they followed the laws they wouldn't have been in that situation.

Maybe foreign countries can use this in a PSA to educate their criminals on the risks of engaging in this type of behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top