Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times

Advertisements

Being a fact that each one of us have different views about this topic, it'd be interesting to know why we think like we do.

In my case they come from what I do, and the experiences that have came out of that, thanks to my job I can travel around and work in different countries (legally) with few restrictions, all my colleguages come from different countries some of mine as well, we get to know each other by the internet, forums and because we meet at the parties in different places around the world, most of us stay long periods of times in foreign countries, so interesting things happen, we get to make friends from other cultures and learn foreign languages, some of my friends have fallen in love with people from other countries and they either decided to make those countries their base or they have took their spouses to their home country.

some countries make huge electronic music festivals that attract people from all around the world, specially in those countries that have less restrictive immigration policies (they don't require tourist visas or hand them out easily, etc) and a lot of these people likes to travel and follow the parties or their favorite dj's, most of these people are young individuals, but you get to see older people up to their sixties in these parties and most share the concept of a global culture.

it is a weird job and a hard one, because sometimes you have to be far from your friends, your spouse, your family and your homeland for really long periods, but it has the advantage that you get to know the world and you get to make new friends, it is really high tech because we use advanced music and sound synthesis technology to create our tracks, and we usually follow the market we go to the countries that have the most parties and we get paid in the currencies that have the most value, it used to be the dollar before, now it is the euro, but the Brazilian real is being an option now because of the inmense party activity that Brazil has and because it's currency is becoming really strong.

the reason we can work legally in most countries without much problems is because we are backed up by international labels who release music on a regular basis, it used to be released on vinyl and cd's but now sites such as http://www.beatport.com have created a revolution, thanks to this party promoters get interested, they contact our booking agents and when the deal is closed they hire their immigration lawyers to tramit an artist visa.

well that's what motivates my views in immigration, what motivates yours?

respect!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-28-2007 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
My immigration views evolve from these concepts:

-We need to have some level of new ideas and shared concepts

-Economics need to have balance, USA workers should not be forced to work for substandard wages due to market forces (foreign workers, both legal and primarily illegal) beyond their control

-We need to assure our citizen safety, and make certain that folks with appropriate character are who we admit

-We need to have sufficient production capacity to ensure a minimum level of ongoing autonomy, and minimize the vulnerability to being held hostage by other nations

-We need to provide opportunity and upward mobility for our citizens, and not truncate their ability to advance economically due to flooding the labor markets

-We need to ensure sustainable long term population growth

Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
From opportunities in the oil/gas industry, I've worked with people from a wide variety of nationalities and glad to have had the privilege. As far as I'm concerned, all U.S. citizens, all visitors, all immigrants have as much right to be here, in the U.S., as I do. As long as each of those persons has successfully complied with citizenship and/or immigration policies as set forth by the U.S. Congress.

Those who have arrived illegally, I am sad to say, should not be here. Back up, get in line, do it right.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:18 PM

140 posts, read 111,971 times
My views on illegal immigration are motivated by first hand experience and research.
Awhile back someone asked me on this forum why my views toward illegal immigration were so negative. Below is what I posted as a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
I don't think my experiences with the subject are unique from any other American living in an area where illegal immigration is prevalent. Many people equate opponents of illegal immigration with racism but for me, this is not the issue. I have many freinds who are hispanic. They are hardworking people who want the same things that most Americans want; a safe place to raise their children, good schools, quality medical care, the freedom to pursue their dreams. These are things that we as Americans have fought and died for. My father was a veteran. He fought bravely in Vietnam. He died as a result of inadequate medical care. Think the VA cares about American veterans? Think again! My father worked hard his entire life. I can remember his sadness and shame when due to his health he was no longer able to work. I practically had to beg him to apply for social security benefits. I can remember telling him "Dad, it is not charity! This is money that you have paid into for 30 years". When we went down to the local social security administration we were turned away because the office only handled english speaking people two days a week! The place was almost entirely Mexican on the day that they did accept english speaking people. I remember that there were about eight or ten lines, only one of which was for english! So when I learned that illegal immigrants receive free medical care while the veterans of our country cannot obtain it I became very angry. Especially when you take into account the fact that they despise us.
I purchased my home about ten years ago. When I first previewed the neighborhood it was clean, quiet and very nice. Everyone maintained their homes and yard. I was very proud of myself for having acquired the American dream; 2.5 kids and a home in the suburbs. Now that the illegals have moved in many things have changed:
  • Formula and personal toiletries at every grocery and drug store are under lock and key. If you wish to purchase these products you go to the glass display, push a little red button, and after awhile a clerk will come and unlock the cabinet and take your items up to the register.
  • There is a great park several blocks from my home. I used to take my children there all the time. Now it is full of illegals camping, mexican drug dealers making deals, mexican music blaring from everywhere, trash overflowing from every refuse container. But what's worse then all of this is the hatefull stares from these people! My wife is terrified of them, and with good reason; she was raped by one of them as a child!!!
  • I have seen mexican businesses spring up all over the place.
  • My home value has dropped by $100,000.00!!!
  • My bank has been robbed to many times to count. Now they have thick bullet proof glass in front of the bank tellers.
  • My wife and I used to talk the children for walks as soon as the sun went down (we live in southern Nevada and it is too hot for the children to be out for any length of time during the day). This was a part of our daily routine and it helped the kids get settled before bed. Now our once quiet neighborhood is full of mexicans driving around with their music blaring, screaming insults in spanish at us, etc.
  • My home has been vandalized (graffitti - in spanish)
  • My cars have been vandalized
  • My mail has been stolen (our mail carrier is now hispanic. We are constantly receiving mail that is not ours. I can only assume that we are not getting at least some of our mail.)
  • My oldest child is 11 years old. I have seen untold mexican men learing at her. One time when we were going to the K-Mart op the road from us we passed a group of drunk mexican men sitting on a bench outside the store. As we were walking past the one of the men tried looking up her skirt. As he was down on the ground on his hands and knees I kicked him in the face as hard as I could. I earned a weekend in jail with charges of assault. (When in jail I was not surprised to discover that 90% of the inmates were hispanic!)
I could go on and on. Basically, the illegal immigration is changing the very fabric of our society. If we don't do something the America we once knew will only be a fading memory.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,573 times
humanitarianism, the understanding of imbalanced economies between neighboring countries, personal friends and their families' experiences and lifestyles, working alongside "illegals", not being scared of new cultures or languages, an understanding of the true reason schools are failing.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:28 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
the purpose of this thread was to give everybody an oportunity to share their views, not to confront them.

if we do that we'll ruin the purpose of the thread everybody deserves to be heard, perhaps after we get to know why everybody thinks the way they do we can start exchanging ideas and views

peace, love, light, harmony

Last edited by Travelling fella; 10-28-2007 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 07:55 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
I admire stsmith's ability to tell the illegals from the legals. I admit, I am not that capable. MOD CUT

I respect humans who will climb every mountain to improve their lives and the lives of their children. The laws of the United States regarding immigration are as rational as a 45mph speed limit on the interstates. I compare them to marijuana laws, in a nation where cigarrettes and booze kill a million people a year, the government has the audacity to outlaw a benign herb?

I admire the work ethic and family orientation of Mexicans ( try walking up to a family party in the park, say something nice about the kids, you will go home with a belly full of carne asada, enchilada's and beer or sodas) Often when one hears a Mexican group speaking Spanish around one, the anglo listener is convinced they are say bad things about him. Trust me, you are that important, they are talking about their lives, not yours]

I like the culture, we as a family spend time in Mexico and not in the large resorts, but in the small towns and fishing villages. We feel welcome and safe.

I do not know why the Bracero program ended, but the result of canceling that program was the unionization of the workers with the ensuing rise in costs, and in the onslaught of illegal workers filling a void.

Remember this, if there were no need they would not be here.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-28-2007 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: no commenting about other posters families unless invited to do so via a request

Old 10-28-2007, 08:17 PM

140 posts, read 111,971 times
I can only assume that you are hispanic, hense the reason for your feelings of safety and comfort. As to hispanics in general, I have always admired their work ethic, that is not the focus of this discussion. The focus is the legal issues, crimes committed, etc. by many of the illegals.
As to the Bracero program; it ended in 1964 and was immediately replaced by the labor union; United Farm Workers. Just because the niche of the migrant workers changed does not justify the lawlessness that followed.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:28 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
I am about as English as one can get without the accent. Why would Mexicans scare you? They are moms and dads and sisters and brothers and aunts and uncles just like you and your family.
Quote:
As to the Bracero program; it ended in 1964 and was immediately replaced by the labor union; United Farm Workers. Just because the niche of the migrant workers changed does not justify the lawlessness that followed.
The utter innocence and simplicity of this statement takes my breath away. You apparently have no idea of the 20 year struggle against the Union by the growers. You apparently have no idea of the violence perpetuated by UFWOC against men and women who just wanted to work. I blame the United Farm Workers Union for the early death of my father. His heart and soul were destroyed in his struggle to keep what my Grandfather began in 1909, we kept it, but at the cost of his life. The Union and Cesar Chavez in my opinion are evil.

But, that does not affect my compassion for those who actually work our land.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:18 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
My views on illegal immigration are motivated by first hand experience and research.
Awhile back someone asked me on this forum why my views toward illegal immigration were so negative. Below is what I posted as a response.

Thats a terrible experience. I think you should move to my part of town, I dont see that problem here. The parks are full of white people and I look like the outcast. Heck, I cant even get decent mexican food on this side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration