Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You old people you.. who do you think will be running the country when you die?
Better watch it little boy, you gonna be one of us "Old People" one of these days. Words have a way of cooming back to bite us in our butts. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/Choctawmaid/lol46vn.gif (broken link)

Old 11-05-2007, 12:45 AM

43 posts, read 88,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Raelynn, I respect your opinion and am not looking for a fight either. That said, I want to ask you a few questions. The majority of the United Stated of America Speaks English, so how are we suppose to conduct business with legal/illegal immigrants if they don't speak English, how do we order food in a restaurant, conduct banking transactions, teach their children at school, etc.? Your right, we can't FORCE anybody to learn a language, but it doesn't make sense to come here and expect an entire country to learn their language.

My ancestors came here and learned the language, they did not expect all the citizens of America to learn German and Italian. My goodness, they were so damn proud to come here and they did so legally. They were damn proud to learn English too. I don't know where your ancestors are from, but if they legally came here from another country ~ did they learn English when they came here?

Also, what other country would accept this? If I wanted to move to Italy, could I demand the entire country to learn English because I choose not to speak Italian?? Same goes for everywhere else, if someone from France moves to China, can they expect the entire country of China to learn French because they choose not to learn Chinese? Of course I'm speaking of singular here to simplify.

I grew up in the metro Detroit area, around a lot of Arab people - probably the greatest concentration of people of Arab descent in this country. Everyone I knew spoke English, they spoke Arabic too, of course, but they took English classes when they came here. Except for the elderly and young babies of course, and they didn't complain about it or refuse to do it, they also proudly did it.
Sorry I've been unable to get to my computer but your reply. With this thread I simply wanted people to know that english is not our offical language. Because for a long time I really thought that it was and felt the same way if your in america you should speak english. Then when i found out it wasn't i changed my mind about things. I read all the time that if you live in america you should have to speak english. I'm just saying thats not fair for people who dont speak english that would be like forcing someone to do something just because everyone else did it. Like when my mom would tell me if your friends jumped off a bridge would you jump as well. I know thats an extreme comparrison but thats whats comes to mind.

I was in wal mart the other day and a chinese family was trying to buy a digital camera and their son was the only one who could really spoke english. The girl who worked at the counter explained it to their son because they didnt understand.

I do speak english and spanish. I seen someone post something about learning sign language I dont speak it because you cant but I do know some and have used it in my work place. I want to learn more languages and currently am attempting to learn german and use attempting as the key word in the sentence.

I dont think that people shouldnt try to learn english I just think that we should force them to.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:50 AM

43 posts, read 88,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
i dont even know how to give someone a bad rep...dont really care to learn either, because he does have the right to have an opinion...even if i dont always agree with what he says.
let it roll off your back...not worth it.

and i'm still waiting on raelynn myself....
I think that my reply on my other thread can answer everything. if not i guess you will let me know if i left anything out please.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
Sorry I've been unable to get to my computer but your reply. With this thread I simply wanted people to know that english is not our offical language. Because for a long time I really thought that it was and felt the same way if your in america you should speak english. Then when i found out it wasn't i changed my mind about things. I read all the time that if you live in america you should have to speak english. I'm just saying thats not fair for people who dont speak english that would be like forcing someone to do something just because everyone else did it. Like when my mom would tell me if your friends jumped off a bridge would you jump as well. I know thats an extreme comparrison but thats whats comes to mind.

I was in wal mart the other day and a chinese family was trying to buy a digital camera and their son was the only one who could really spoke english. The girl who worked at the counter explained it to their son because they didnt understand.

I do speak english and spanish. I seen someone post something about learning sign language I dont speak it because you cant but I do know some and have used it in my work place. I want to learn more languages and currently am attempting to learn german and use attempting as the key word in the sentence.

I dont think that people shouldnt try to learn english I just think that we should force them to.
I don't think any of my questions were answered here

Your Walmart experience is a good example of why people SHOULD learn the language. Can you imagine this happening to the Walmark clerk all day long.

No we shouldn't force anyone, it should just be common sense to move to a country and speak the language there. I'd have a really hard time in Germany not speaking the language and trying to conduct daily business and life there ~ expecting everyone to get me a translator at the drop of a hat.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
English is the language of commerce. Like it or not, English is the lingua franca of the United States of America.

My grandparents on my father's side, who emigrated LEGALLY in 1910 were REQUIRED to know English before they were allowed to become citizens, yet they loved this country so much and so desired to be citizens, that not only did they learn English, but my father and his four siblings never learned more than a few words in my grandparent's native language. According to my grandmother, "We are Americans and Americans speak English."

Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
There is a flip-side to this whole English debate, so the problem here is illegals are not speaking English, yet they are taking jobs of Americans right?

Well if English is the language of business, wouldn't the illegals knowing English be even worse for Americans? I mean imagine the jobs illegals could hold if they knew English.

My example is Indians and Chinese, I work for a major software company in Silicon Valley, we are overwhelmingly Chinese and Indian that are on H1-B's. Many Indians and Chinese (barely english speaking) come here and overstay their visas, find jobs at Web Startups making 85k a year.

So I guess you should be careful what you wish for when it comes to language, at least by the illegals NOT knowing English they have created a barrier to American business where English is required. At least we are talking jobs that make 15 an hour and not 50 an hour.

Your cozy office jobs are pretty safe from the Spanish Only people.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:55 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
There is a flip-side to this whole English debate, so the problem here is illegals are not speaking English, yet they are taking jobs of Americans right?

Well if English is the language of business, wouldn't the illegals knowing English be even worse for Americans? I mean imagine the jobs illegals could hold if they knew English.

My example is Indians and Chinese, I work for a major software company in Silicon Valley, we are overwhelmingly Chinese and Indian that are on H1-B's.
many Indians and Chinese come here and overstay their visas, find jobs at Web Startups making 85k a year.

So I guess you should be careful what you wish for when it comes to language, at least by the illegals NOT knowing English they are created a barrier to American business where English is required. At least we are talking jobs that make 15 an hour and not 50 an hour.
If they overstay their visas, they're illegal and should also be deported.

People think they can just come in on an H1-B, quit the job with the company that sponsored you, then create a startup. Once you lose/quit the job you were granted the H1-B for, you have a very small window of time before you're out of status.

Those illegals need to go home too.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
If they overstay their visas, they're illegal and should also be deported.

People think they can just come in on an H1-B, quit the job with the company that sponsored you, then create a startup. Once you lose/quit the job you were granted the H1-B for, you have a very small window of time before you're out of status.

Those illegals need to go home too.
Hrmm I don't see raids at Web Startups, but really my point is about English.
Americans can rest easy knowing that their office jobs are safe from those darn Spanish Only Speaking people, isn't that kind of nice in a way?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Hrmm I don't see raids at Web Startups, but really my point is about English.
Americans can rest easy knowing that their office jobs are safe from those darn Spanish Only Speaking people, isn't that kind of nice in a way?
That isn't even true anyway. There is a huge demand here for office workers, mostly customer service telephone operators, who speak Spanish...and some of them speak ONLY Spanish.

I work in a large office building here in Dallas that also houses one of the area's larger insurance companies that deals with a lot of workman's comp cases. I see a lot of people walking around the building wearing ID badges from that company who can barely speak English.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
That isn't even true anyway. There is a huge demand here for office workers, mostly customer service telephone operators, who speak Spanish...and some of them speak ONLY Spanish.

I work in a large office building here in Dallas that also houses one of the area's larger insurance companies that deals with a lot of workman's comp cases. I see a lot of people walking around the building wearing ID badges from that company who can barely speak English.
OK answering phones in Spanish for the Spanish speaking crowd? If a company wants to support Spanish customers they are going to have to hire Spanish speaking workers right?

Poor example IMO.

If English is the language of business then how far can any NON-English Speaking person really go up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration