Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:15 PM

87 posts, read 126,593 times

Advertisements

If illegal immigration is bad, and legal immigration is good, why don't we just increase the legal immigration quotas? Why not double or triple them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 03:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
If illegal immigration is bad, and legal immigration is good, why don't we just increase the legal immigration quotas? Why not double or triple them?
Gee, I don't know. Probably for the same reason that we don't combat the problem of 'incompetent airline pilots' by just letting the passengers take turns flying the plane.....the "cure" would probably be worse than the "disease"...

Old 12-26-2007, 03:28 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Talking Cops in Scottsdale, Ariz. now routinely ask for proof of citizenship

The issue in hand is to verify legal status as to drivers license and/or proof of citizenship. Being from Calif, may I please quote from the CALIF STATE DRIVERS HANBOOK of 2005. "Some acceptable BIRTH DATE/Legal presence documents are: US BIRTH CERTIFICATE, PROOF of INDIAN BLOOD DEGREE, US PASSPORT, US ARMED FORCES ID CARDS, CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION, PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD, or a foreign passport or MEXICAN BORDER CROSSING CARD with a VALID 1-94" Your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER will be VERIFIED with the SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION. This is a main thrust of what is basically needed in Calif. Other STATES are probably similiar in demands. Hope this info fills some inquiring minds. Stefhen

Old 12-26-2007, 03:38 PM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times
Default Comprehensive Immigration Bill wanted to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
The failed comprehensive immigration bill called for a huge increase in legal immigration. It would have doubled the population in America in 50 years to 600 million. Hispanics would dominate the population in our lifetimes. Is that what you want?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:50 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
The failed comprehensive immigration bill called for a huge increase in legal immigration. It would have doubled the population in America in 50 years to 600 million. Hispanics would dominate the population in our lifetimes. Is that what you want?
Being dominated by "Hispanics" is a non-issue, since anybody (literally) can be a "hispanic." You can move to Uruguay tomorrow, have a baby, and bring a "Latino" baby back with you to the US when you come back.

But I digress. It's not "Hispanics" that are the problem, I believe that labels such as "Hispanic" will be moot in the future, but I certainly don't want the US to succumb to the cultural imperialism of "Latino" nations - i.e., Spanish language dominance or even equivalence with English. It's simply not fair, nor useful to be "bilingual" in a multi-racial, multi-ethnic nation.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Being dominated by "Hispanics" is a non-issue, since anybody (literally) can be a "hispanic." You can move to Uruguay tomorrow, have a baby, and bring a "Latino" baby back with you to the US when you come back.
Would the baby then be said to have "anchor parents"?.....just asking

Old 12-26-2007, 05:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I agree that every nation has its rise and fall. We seem to be following Rome's fate. It just seems to me that there are a lot of folks here that want to speed up the process for some reason. Perhaps they are absolute failures or simply have been taught that the USA is evil and does not deserve to continue. Puzzles the heck out of me as to why we would import or allow to sneak into the county, so many poor, uneducated workers.
We are still safe for about 150-200 years re: Rome's decline IMHO.

As for those who want to see us fail-------there is 'one in every crowd'

Quote:
Bring in the Irish!!
ROFLMAO!

Ireland today; if anything, is having people immigrating due to its barely replacement level birthrate of 2 children per woman.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:24 PM

64 posts, read 152,296 times
and the cops in the old appartheid South Africa would routinely ask the "Coloreds" and "Negroes" for "passbooks"

Old 12-26-2007, 06:03 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
In America one is not required to carry identification. It will be a sad day, although apparently applauded by some, the day we are required to carry ID.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
In America one is not required to carry identification. It will be a sad day, although apparently applauded by some, the day we are required to carry ID.
It sure won't be applauded by me--I'd HATE it. I'm just saying we're probably headed that way, if we don't make some changes. At one time, we didn't ask for a receipt when we bought something. Now, sadly, we'd be foolish not to. The trust that was once taken for granted can no longer be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration