Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 10:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm annoyed at allowing US born kids with 2 illegal alien parents to get birthright. It's def past time for the US to join other decent countries like Ireland, Japan and so on in stopping birthright unless at least 1 parent's a citizen of the country being talked about.

my great grandmother on my dads side came to the USA as a tourist, her daughter my grandmother was born while she was on her vacation. my grandmother told me this story when she was alive. as a baby, she was not given American citizenship as a baby, she had to wait until she emigrated to the USA in 1898 with her husband and went through ellis island.

illegal aliens who have children born here should not be getting any citizenship at all, especially if someone on vacation here or a diplomats child is born here does not get one.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:11 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
George Washington (born February 22, 1732) John Adams (born October 30, 1735)
Thomas Jefferson (born April 13, 1743)
James Madison (born March 16, 1751)
James Monroe (born April 28, 1758)
Andrew Jackson (born March 15, 1767)
John Quincy Adams (born July 11, 1767)
William Henry Harrison (born February 9, 1773)
Martin Van Buren (December 5, 1782)
Zachary Taylor (born November 24, 1784) none born in USA soil
Uh; the US wasn't born yet. This is 2015, NOT 1776 so things change.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:24 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; the US wasn't born yet. This is 2015, NOT 1776 so things change.

YES they did-- agree 100% and when they brought the salves over -it ricochet on them and they had to change the law to include them. There is no mention anywhere it said black or Chinese or Martians. the law is the law- we can change the law- amend the law, add to it, take away, from it in due process- in the mean time we simply obey the law-

The 14th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified on July 9, 1868, and granted citizenship to “all persons born or naturalized in the United States,” which included former slaves recently freed. In addition, it forbids states from denying any person "life, liberty or property, without due process of law" or to "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” By directly mentioning the role of the states, the 14th Amendment greatly expanded the protection of civil rights to all Americans and is cited in more litigation than any other amendment.
June 2, 1924

Old 10-17-2015, 11:50 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times
Quote:
[/b] YES they did-- agree 100% and when they brought the salves over -it ricochet on them and they had to change the law to include them. There is no mention anywhere it said black or Chinese or Martians. the law is the law- we can change the law- amend the law, add to it, take away, from it in due process- in the mean time we simply obey the law-

The 14th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified on July 9, 1868, and granted citizenship to “all persons born or naturalized in the United States,” which included former slaves recently freed. In addition, it forbids states from denying any person "life, liberty or property, without due process of law" or to "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” By directly mentioning the role of the states, the 14th Amendment greatly expanded the protection of civil rights to all Americans and is cited in more litigation than any other amendment.
June 2, 1924

then explain how my grandmother was not given US citizenship when she was born in the USA, but her family was here in the USA on vacation during the late 1800's.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:39 PM

27,130 posts, read 15,308,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Where is that mentioned in the 14th Amendment? I read it over and it makes no mention of this....it simply states if you are born in the US, then you are a US citizen.

Which would make as much sense as if I am able to successfully enter your house without your permission then I own it.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:59 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Excuse me, but the wording of the 14th Amendment is pretty clear and straight forward:

If you're born in the USA, you're a citizen. Your parents' status makes absolutely no difference.
No excuse YOU: "And subject to the jurisdiction thereof." Illegals are citizens of other countries and not subject to our jurisdiction, otherwise children born to diplomats born on US soil would be given American citizenship yet they are not. History and context matter when interpreting the law. America had just fought a bloody war that tore us apart and its second largest group of people were literally considered chattel. Under what circumstances would the amendment have been written for pregnant Guatemalans trespassing on our land?

Old 10-17-2015, 03:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
No excuse YOU: "And subject to the jurisdiction thereof." Illegals are citizens of other countries and not subject to our jurisdiction, otherwise children born to diplomats born on US soil would be given American citizenship yet they are not. History and context matter when interpreting the law. America had just fought a bloody war that tore us apart and its second largest group of people were literally considered chattel. Under what circumstances would the amendment have been written for pregnant Guatemalans trespassing on our land?
Silliness. The real exception is foreign diplomats or foreign troops hostilely on American territory. They are not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. We can and do arrest illegal aliens demonstrating conclusively they are subject to our jurisdiction.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:22 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,194 times
Question What?

Quote:
George Washington (born February 22, 1732) John Adams (born October 30, 1735)
Thomas Jefferson (born April 13, 1743)
James Madison (born March 16, 1751)
James Monroe (born April 28, 1758)
Andrew Jackson (born March 15, 1767)
John Quincy Adams (born July 11, 1767)
William Henry Harrison (born February 9, 1773)
Martin Van Buren (December 5, 1782)
Zachary Taylor (born November 24, 1784) none born in USA soil
Good try but it does not matter. The early History of the US was people from the Old World Starting a New Land.

All of these Men left their Euro back ground behind. Today those who immigrate have no intention of becoming American and Speak English as the first Language.

Those men strived to make America a better place. Illegal Aliens jut want benefits from a very generous American Tax Payer.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Good try but it does not matter. The early History of the US was people from the Old World Starting a New Land.

All of these Men left their Euro back ground behind. Today those who immigrate have no intention of becoming American and Speak English as the first Language.

Those men strived to make America a better place. Illegal Aliens jut want benefits from a very generous American Tax Payer.

Today those who immigrate have no intention of becoming American and Speak English as the first Language.

so you say

Old 10-17-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then explain how my grandmother was not given US citizenship when she was born in the USA, but her family was here in the USA on vacation during the late 1800's.

OH come on!- just like the whole nation gives you a birth cert, one little town in Texas does NOT??-- who knows why?? Was she born in Texas? I know more about the Cubans--(from Miami) -- I know Cubans moms who delivered the babies (before the Castro problem) were entered in the Vitals Stats" or birth registry as Americans!! FACTO --- if not, better go throw out 1/2 of Miami's 60/70 yr olds 90% of NY and all of California many people were on visitors visas for month
With a 10-year multiple entry visitor's visa, you can visit the United States as often as you like until your visa expires in 10 years. Usually, a CBP officer will admit you for up to six months. To stay longer than the date on your I-94, you must apply for an extension. Use U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration