Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Any supremacist no matter what their race, Black Supremacists, Brown Supremacists, Yellow Supremacists are the blight on ALL Americans.
Very true prologic, I guess I was thinking white because I am

Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
I think its true for a lot of Mexicans who have a lighter shade than others to say they're Spanish and Mexican. I on the other hand, have light skin and do not consider myself to be Spanish and Mexican-- there was a lot of immigration to Mexico from Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if I was of another country's heritage besides Spain.

I believe the Mexicans who consider themselves Spanish as well (and are obviously not recent Spanish immigrants to Mexico) has to do a lot with Class. Being European is considered "fancy" in Mexico, which is why Euro styles are very prominent in Mexico. White-er Mexicans think that their White friends would think of them less if they weren't part European like their Anglo friends. This the conclusion I have come up with, and have called out a lot of people on this. You know, just for fun

Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM

418 posts, read 367,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
If sharing my ethnicity affects you, then you need to find another forum. I am very proud of who I am. I dont need to whitewash my face, I am hispanic, but white. If you've heard of "whitening stories" shame on them, if you can't enjoy what you are then you need to whitewash the darkness of your mind. I am not going to deny my own ancestors, that is precisely what makes of me a unique man.
Have a good day,
You're completely right. It's too bad more Americans don't follow that same philosophy. All of us should be proud of our ancestors and do the best we can to know about them. For you, you have the benefit of having grandparents from Europe, being born and possibly raised in a foreign country and being assimilated and involved in the American culture too. There are many Americans who don't even fit one of those three criterias.

We all need to keep our things in perspective too though. The problem is with some people is that they get too into it and no one understands their bias point of view. The only problem is there are many Americans who know little if not anything about their heritage. And they don't care to ever try. It's good to have a healthy balance, as long as it isn't indicative upon your social and economic life.

The one bad thing about people with a lot of heritage in this country is that much bigotry also exists. I notice this in people like my grandmother, who do like their heritage (although their whiteness and indirectly Americanism more) - but they don't even try. Some don't even make sense. For example, she says she'd love to adopt a black baby because ''they're adorable'', but she wouldn't want to live next to a black person because they would destroy the value of her home (she'd be a horrible real-estate agent lol).

Many of those ''old world'' traits exist in some of the freshest people. And their usually much more integrated into both white America and come across inner-city blacks. It's because the less money and political power you have - the more needy you become upon assimilation (especially at a quick pace). Most Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants are from the ''modern world'', and are much more here for economic reasons than the American dream - but they can keep their level of success and isolation. Most don't have those ''old world'' traits anymore either, because they are modernized. In fact, that's probably one huge political reason why they left.

The best of Latin America usually doesn't want the United States. However, usually the middle-class to upper-middle class is interested in Canada, Europe and other parts of the world. Most who come here remain those ''old world'' traits and no one ever taught them they were wrong. I know this example I'm about to give is one of the worse extremes possible, but it does exist. I was talking to someone the other day who is from Mexico, but raised in the United States. Their grandmother still lives in Mexico.

She was watching a movie on something involving the Holocaust. She was screaming during the movie - but not at the mistreatment that the Jews were receiving, but rather in favor of what was going on. I know anti-Semitism is no where at the level of a resentment towards African descent in Latin America mostly due to the fact that very few Jews live in Latin America - but that is an example of ''old world'' thinking. I'm sure in America and Europe a century ago, even if a gentile had that idea it wasn't promoted - but that doesn't mean it wasn't accepted.

I'm sure where you come from in Peru was probably more modern than where she came from though. Usually most places where European immigrants went in the last century aren't that behind. I definitely admire the fact that you are able to keep your heritage in perspective and not allow it to overwhelm you. As I'm sure both you and UrbanQuest agree though, not everyone is may be as lucky as yourself.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM

162 posts, read 326,354 times
Hats off to NYC0127. You really got the point of my post.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
A word of advise; If you're going to tell people to educate themselves, perhaps you should first learn proper grammer and stop capitalizing every word in a sentence.

And as far as your "we're here to stay" comment, that's fine, as long as said Latinos assimilate and want to be Americans. If there ever comes a time where this country is under attack by people trying to turn it into Mexico, Americans like me will take up arms and fight to the death before we ever let that happen, so I hope your comment wasn't to imply that Mexico is taking over, "like it or not".
Dude take some ritalin. People arnt out to get you they arnt going to overrun the country and make it mexico. America is not under attack. chill nobody's thinking about you no need to stress.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
Dude take some ritalin. People arnt out to get you they arnt going to overrun the country and make it mexico. America is not under attack. chill nobody's thinking about you no need to stress.
This is the type of paranoid attitude we see in a lot of anti-illegals. Not ALL, but a lot.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times
Quote:
Guess what genuis? I lived in Minnesota and spent a lot of time in Wisconsin, and you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if you've never even seen an illegal. And it is my opinion that America IS under attack, and that the government is doing nothing to stop it. MANY people feel the same way, did you ever stop to think that there might be a reason for this?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Guess what genuis? I lived in Minnesota and spent a lot of time in Wisconsin, and you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if you've never even seen an illegal. And it is my opinion that America IS under attack, and that the government is doing nothing to stop it. MANY people feel the same way, did you ever stop to think that there might be a reason for this?
Have you been to Milwaukee though we are nothing like the rest of the state? And many people feel the same way.... have you met many minoritys that thought that?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM

106 posts, read 471,973 times
Seriously if this happens I want some affirmative action.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 PM

106 posts, read 471,973 times
Quote:
I tend to disagree. I think we actually are under somewhat of an invasion currently. I say this because more 50% of mexican population believe that the southwest US and California are rightfully Mexico's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration