Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 06:15 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times

Advertisements

[quote=BOS2IAD;51847419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post

"Lame excuses"?

Are you willing to drive 2-3 hours each way to do the seasonal work of picking crops? No need to answer, we all know that you will say "no". You won't do it even if you were down on your luck and in need of money.

When I was in high school, I heard of a summer job picking crops. I would have gladly done it if I had transportation. If there was a bus that took workers to the fields, I would have availed myself of it.

As I said, for some doing that type of commute for that work would eat up most, if not all, their paycheck. I'm sure that you will be more than happy to volunteer your vehicle and your money to take people to the fields.
You are destroying your own argument. You said that it was nonsense to suggest that jobs currently held by undocumented immigrants could not be filled by Americans instead. Now you say that is only true if the commute time is short, the employer or someone else covers your commute costs, it provides year round work and a net pay deemed sufficient by the employee. Why not lifetime free beer and a unicorn too? Isnt that exactly what people are trying to tell you? You admitted that there are many jobs that Americans would refuse to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 06:18 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Say what you want but if it were not for Illegals, where I live (Branson) the labor shortage is so critical that 90% of the restaurants, and many other businesses would close. Not to mention that Tyson's food would cease to exist.
Has it occurred to you that illegals lowballing wages is exactly why you have a labor shortage?

We had a meat packing plant less than 25 miles from where I live. One of the largest in my state. They got raided and now only hire legals. They didn't fold. Didn't go out of business. Meat prices didn't double and the sky didn't fall.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:20 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
[quote=shorman;51842221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

So which is it?

Americans will line up in droves to take jobs away from undocumented immigrants. Or Americans will come up with at least a half dozen lame excuses to avoid doing hard work like picking crops.
You do know that only about 2.5 to 3 % of all illegals work in agriculture right? Imagine if those corporate farms had to pay for work VISA applications and do it legally?
The only lame excuses I see are those made by the illegal apologists and enablers.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:38 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
[quote=shorman;51848345]
Quote:

You are destroying your own argument. You said that it was nonsense to suggest that jobs currently held by undocumented immigrants could not be filled by Americans instead. Now you say that is only true if the commute time is short, the employer or someone else covers your commute costs, it provides year round work and a net pay deemed sufficient by the employee. Why not lifetime free beer and a unicorn too? Isnt that exactly what people are trying to tell you? You admitted that there are many jobs that Americans would refuse to do.

You clearly did NOT read my original post on this topic. Where did I say that Americans couldn't do those jobs? Point it out. You won't find it because I never said it. If you paid attention, I did point out that in the Heartland kids who live in rural areas spend their summers working the farms. So, no, I NEVER said that Americans refused to do those jobs

Do you deny that many unemployed people who live in urban/suburban areas often don't have reliable transportation? Do you also deny that if they had to drive 2 or 3 hours each way to work, most of their paycheck will go to gas and maintenance costs for their vehicle? That's assuming that they have a reliable vehicle. Do you also deny that people want year-round work, not seasonal work?

You are now veering into the ridiculous with talk like "lifetime free beer and a unicorn, too".

Would you take a job that required you to commute 2-3 hours a day and your paycheck didn't cover your gas and vehicle maintenance costs?

I never said anything about farmers covering the commuting costs What I said was that you and others are free to volunteer your vehicle, your time and the cost of gas to take people to the fields.

No...it is YOU who is destroying your own argument.

Besides, farmers have access to an agricultural visa program that has no caps on it. If there really is a labor shortage, they need to avail themselves of this visa program. When AL and GA got tough on illegals, farmers who used the guest worker program had no problems getting their crops picked. It was the sleazy farmers who refused to use the visa program and instead opted for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor who had problems.

Most illegals don't do agricultural work.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/49110815

Besides, more and more farmers, when possible, are turning to automation to get their crops picked.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:18 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
[quote=shorman;51842221]
Quote:

So which is it?

Americans will line up in droves to take jobs away from undocumented immigrants. Or Americans will come up with at least a half dozen lame excuses to avoid doing hard work like picking crops.

Americans will do the jobs if the pay is what the job is worth.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:20 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Because they violate immigration laws and enter the country illegally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
You should be hating all the republican business owners who hire them.
And you should be hating the democrats for supporting them with our tax dollars, giving them rights to vote, and paying for their children to go to college.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:11 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
You should be hating all the republican business owners who hire them. These people just want a better life. You take out he jobs and they won’t come.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not only Republican business owners that hire them the Democrat owners do also. No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. Jobs are only one of the incentives that bring them here. Birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits do also. The solution has to be e-verify, ending the two things above and a wall that will help deter them at the border in the first place. It has to be a total package.

This issue has nothing to do with hate and I for one am sick of hearing it. It's about our laws and the damage that illegal immigration does to our own citizens.
If you are sick of hearing it, then dont be here, problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Better life...do like we did in America 220 years ago...fight for it, but moving to the US is the coward's way out.

Wow...so democratic leaning businesses like Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon doesn't hire illegals? You do know that some of largest employers in the US are liberal leaning don't you? Most, if not all, of the high tech businesses in California Silicon Valley heavily support democratic causes? Even the state of California just hired an illegal alien to head the commission to increase college access for minority communities and illegal residents.

Agree... removing access to jobs by implementing e-verify would stop illegal aliens from coming.
At least you got the last part correct.
They should fight for it. Wage war and kill others like the illegal anglo immigrants did. Turnabout is fair play.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:16 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"The coward's way out"? Is that anything like a white guy gifting a smallpox-laden quilt to a tribe of Native Americans?

"Fight for it," huh? Nice try. The people who came here centuries ago weren't looking for a better life so much as they were running away from England.
So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Not all are coming here for "a better life," and jobs. Many are criminals trafficking in drugs, guns, and human trafficking. Gangs come here as well.
Do you have stats to back this up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
They made a choice to break OUR laws !

At the end of the day they are just illegal aliens who have no respect
for America or OUR Laws...Actions speak louder then words

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
Just because it is a law, doesnt make it just.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:44 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Just because it is a law, doesnt make it just.
Evey country has immigration law, FFS

Old 05-11-2018, 03:52 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post

They should fight for it. Wage war and kill others like the illegal anglo immigrants did. Turnabout is fair play.
This is a sick and despicable comment^^^^

Those "Anglos" weren't here illegally. There was no country and thus no immigration laws

Besides, if you are Hispanic, some of those Spaniards were your own ancestors.

Do you seriously think that the Native Indians were all peaceful people? If so, I have some oceanfront property in AZ to sell to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration