Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:33 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
lol, the ole crop picking argument again. Most illegals aren't picking crops only a small percentage are. For those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers. It's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work. What about all those once good paying construction and commercial landscaping jobs that illegal aliens have taken by working for less? What about all those entry level jobs that our young adults used to do that illegals have taken? I have to laugh at those who claim that Americans won't do those jobs when who do they think did them for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border?
what about your increased standard of living thanks to the plentiful and cheaper pool of labor? Unless you're a high school drop out with low aspirations in life you are directly benefitting.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Seriously, the wall is going to cost a ****-ton and it's not gonna be that effective. There are already plenty of walls and monitoring throughout the border area and people still get through. And you can't make it triple barbed wire with land mines and machine gun towers - which would be effective, by the way, as was shown by the Soviet Union back in the day.

Instead, you should all be focusing on employment verification. If you don't want the Central Americans to come, then deny them employment. Make employment verification serious business and enforce that. Why are you not up in arms about the fact that e-verify is not mandatory nationwide? There are some bills for it now in the works.

The dirty secret is that while Trump supporter types talk tough about the border, many don't talk very tough about illegals working in certain jobs. Same farmer who votes for Trump is happy to hire illegals, because he knows they're extra cheap and can be squeezed like lemons - and who are they going to complain to? And same consumer who votes for Trump is happy to buy cheap produce at the supermarket. Make e-verify mandatory everywhere (and beef up enforcement & penalties), force the farmers to hire Americans at boosted wages, and we all get ready to pay more for groceries. Ditto in other industries. Easy. Would cost serious cash, but it would be more effective.

But no...we have to look the other way on that and fixate on this wall thing...
There are many ways to help with illegals. One, yes, is insisting on employment verification, but that is just one. The wall or a fence is another. As for that argument about Trump and hiring illegals: get a life and think for yourself: he has little to do with who is hired. Those who help mange his businesses do the hiring just like with any large business. And, don't be so self righteous: there is not one of us who have not had a worker in our yard or someplace that wasn't an illegal. Do you ask everyone who does any minimal labor for you if they are legal? I don't. I do not like illegals either, but I realize many people do manual labor and are probably not legal.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:48 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are many ways to help with illegals. One, yes, is insisting on employment verification, but that is just one. The wall or a fence is another. As for that argument about Trump and hiring illegals: get a life and think for yourself: he has little to do with who is hired. Those who help mange his businesses do the hiring just like with any large business. And, don't be so self righteous: there is not one of us who have not had a worker in our yard or someplace that wasn't an illegal. Do you ask everyone who does any minimal labor for you if they are legal? I don't. I do not like illegals either, but I realize many people do manual labor and are probably not legal.
So are you saying that Trump has absolutely no control over who his companies hire? He is incapable of ordering his HR departments to verify the legal status of those they employ?

If that is true, he sure is a weak, ineffectual CEO.

Good leaders will say the buck stops at their desk. Trump passes that buck down to his subordinates and blames them for what goes on in his own businesses. And as usual, his supporters give him a pass on it.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:04 AM

24,003 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do. When I bought carpet, my first question was who will install it and where are the I 9s? Same thing with a fence that will be installed next month. I eat at restaurants I know don't have a kitchen full of illegals doing all the prep work and cleaning. My yardman is legal.

Some things are beyond our control, like the suncontractors cleaning the buildings and stores where we shop.

IMO, citizens can demonstrate with their pocketbooks, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration