Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
We have every right to protest the illegal immigrants being here in the USA.

Hint, hint, Washington.
But in schools? All that assignment does is draw lines between kids and create targets on their backs. Of course some stupid kids are going to take the other side.

It is an irresponsible assignment, the teacher should be fired for causing this.

We have enough violence in schools, we don't need teachers creating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I don't particularly disagree with her. Freedom of speech does not apply to sppech that could cause a disruption in a school context. You wish to assert this did not cause a disruption?

If one adopts disruptive behavior for good cause I have no particular problem with the morality as long as one is willing to deal with the consequences. Rosa Parks broke the law...good for Rosa Parks.

A.) Her behavior wasn't disruptive. The assignment itself may have been controversial at most...Her assailants disrupted a peaceable person by turning a controversial assignment into a disruption...

Ur right. Rosa Parks, WITHOUT PHYSICAL VIOLENCE, broke from a cultural norm relevant to her time period...thereby breaking the law...and she was arrested...whats your point?..thats exactly what should happen to these kids...they should be arrested.

B.) Rosa Parks fought for civil rights...meaning the rights of civilians (civilians are citizens of this country)...not for the rights of non citizens, who by the very fact that they are in this country illegally, are criminals

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
When Rosa Parks (who BTW, was Mulatto, not Black according to the 1930 Census) broke the law ca. 1955 by refusing the bus driver's order to vacate her seat for a 'White' man---------public opinion was already turning against Jim Crow laws.

Here in Arizona we had changed most of not all of ours by ca. 1952.

Back to Ms Parks; the Jim Crow laws in the South started dropping like flies shortly thereafter---------the last one banning 'interracial' marriage was declared unconstitutional in 1967 (Virginia).

In fact: Soledad O'Brien's (the anchorwoman) mother and father had to marry in NY or DC to avoid that nonsense---------he was a White Australian and she was a Black (Hispanic) from maybe Cuba?
And I expect in the fullness of time the illegal problem will be solved by making almost all of them legal. Hopefully once we have removed that impediment to a good immigration policy we will actually gain control of our immigration. Then again we may again blow it like we did in the 80s.

It is reasonably straighforward to control, track and remove an illegal sector of a few hundred thousand. Once they achieve millions with an even larger "fifth column" it is not going to happen.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
And I expect in the fullness of time the illegal problem will be solved by making almost all of them legal. Hopefully once we have removed that impediment to a good immigration policy we will actually gain control of our immigration. Then again we may again blow it like we did in the 80s.

It is reasonably straighforward to control, track and remove an illegal sector of a few hundred thousand. Once they achieve millions with an even larger "fifth column" it is not going to happen.
Anymore; I put little stock in your opinions-----------you are coming across as a 'Quisling' IMHO.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
I don't particularly disagree with her. Freedom of speech does not apply to sppech that could cause a disruption in a school context. You wish to assert this did not cause a disruption?

If one adopts disruptive behavior for good cause I have no particular problem with the morality as long as one is willing to deal with the consequences. Rosa Parks broke the law...good for Rosa Parks.
According to your reasoning, any speech or written word that might 'upset' hispanic students should be banned from school. Nonsense. The problem was not her poster, it was their reaction to it.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Anymore; I put little stock in your opinions-----------you are coming across as a 'Quisling' IMHO.

Please...you never put any stock in my writings. I write for those who approach the subject with an open mind.

Your writings are classical xenophobic rantings cloaked in the cover of "illegal" oppositon.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:27 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Isn't this just the worst assignment you ever heard of? Don't we already have enough school shootings in America, yet teachers choose a such a controversial topic that is sure to make stupid kids violent.

Talk about making schools safer. I blame the teacher, especially in Texas where you know some white kid is going to protest illegals.

If these students are only capable of responding to a viewpoint that differs from theirs by becoming violent, then they belong in a special school that is equipped to handle such students.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:27 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Please...you never put any stock in my writings. I write for those who approach the subject with an open mind.

You writings are clasical xenophobic rantings cloaked in the cover of "illegal" oppositon.
By open mind, you mean, open only to your own personal prejudice, right?

ArizonaBear's writings are anything but xenophobic - and they most definitely aren't "rantings". He makes rational points and I have yet to read a single post showing signs of xenophobia. And his frankness dispels your insinuation that he is cloaking anything at all.

FWIW, it's spelled "classical".

Wow, the pro-illegals seem to grasping at straws now. Signs of desperation.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:

Your writings are classical xenophobic rantings cloaked in the cover of "illegal" oppositon.

'Change This? Nah Can't' --------- BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If these students are only capable of responding to a viewpoint that differs from theirs by becoming violent, then they belong in a special school that is equipped to handle such students.
Did you go to public school? I did, violence in schools crosses all racial boundaries and does not need to be instigated by teachers.

I doubt a college would even have such an assignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration