Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
S/he has no source for their statistics. And when statistics are presented that go against what they are trying to prove, they conveniently ignore the post, much like they are ignoring your request. [moderator cut: off topic].

I know. But the buggers had to have it pointed out that they are basically lyers creating facts to support untrue positions. It is always good to leave that clearly on the record.

At least those of open mind who stumble upon the interchange will know they were deliberately lied to.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: edited linked post

Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:
S/he has no source for their statistics. And when statistics are presented that go against what they are trying to prove, they conveniently ignore the post, much like they are ignoring your request. [moderator cut: off topic].
It was in the Washington Post about 9 months ago, and I cant find the article. Still looking though........

Last edited by madicarus2000; 04-11-2008 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: edited linked post

Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 PM

162 posts, read 326,366 times
When Americans travel away from home, most people talk to them in english, when tourists come to America, they speak english....
hmmmm
When Americans move overseas, very few ones get to learn the local language, most of the times, Americans look for other Americans and speak english only. This sounds like whats going on with foreigners in America is not that different of what is going on in foreign countries with Americans living there.
I was born in a foreign country, and I have seen this situation all the time, and nobody seems to be angry at the Americans who can't speak the local language. They all get along somehow.
There is nothing that irritates me more than the lack of respect, the racist coments and the cowardy of individuals who offend people just because they feel powerful behind the keyboard and their senseless coments.
God bless America.

Last edited by CATOGAMO; 04-10-2008 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,878 times
Whitechocolate. I will tell you the same thing i told ocexpo. Do I agree with illegal immigration? No. Do I agree with the way that you approach the topic? No. There are numerous threads in this forum that specify illegal immigrants, this forum is titled simply "immigrants", and my debate will only pertain to posts dealing with immigrants. If I wanted to talk about illegal immigrants I would go to the appropriate thread. Of course you can move wherever you want, but the negative tone of many of your posts sounds too similar to the negative overtone already overly abundant here.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:
Whitechocolate. I will tell you the same thing i told ocexpo. Do I agree with illegal immigration? No. Do I agree with the way that you approach the topic? No. There are numerous threads in this forum that specify illegal immigrants, this forum is titled simply "immigrants", and my debate will only pertain to posts dealing with immigrants. If I wanted to talk about illegal immigrants I would go to the appropriate thread. Of course you can move wherever you want, but the negative tone of many of your posts sounds too similar to the negative overtone already overly abundant here.
Neither of us has EVER addressed anyone but illegal immigrants. We dont have anti-semetic views about hispanics. I dont recall ever saying that I did? Do you whitechocolate? I bash ILLEGAL ALIENS. It just so happens that almost all illegal aliens in OC are hispanic, so its kind of natural to assume the illegal hispanic culture because I really dont understand any other culture of illegal immigrants besides hispanic. I think hispanics are great. They have the best food, they occupy jobs we are too lazy to do, and my neighbor is one of my best friends. I am not against Hispanics for the last time, I am against illegal aliens. Stop putting ideas where they arent valid.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
The refusal to learn any English proves they are not here to become American, they have no intention (or maybe ability) to adapt and assimilate.

Immigration should be limited to those people who wish to be American, who can and have a desire to adapt. Those who cannot, who wish to stick to their old ways should just remain in their own countries.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The refusal to learn any English proves they are not here to become American, they have no intention (or maybe ability) to adapt and assimilate.

Immigration should be limited to those people who wish to be American, who can and have a desire to adapt. Those who cannot, who wish to stick to their old ways should just remain in their own countries.
Do any of you honestly have proof that 2nd generation children of Mexican immigrants refuse to speak English in America?

I would venture a guess that many immigration waves in the past didn't learn the language, but their children did and assimilated. I think many of you are purposely tough on hispanics, even though they are following the same track.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
That they do not speak English does not bother me at all. They can always bring along a friend to speak for them. It does bother me when they act like they expect me to speak Spanish. I was born into what I consider to be an English speaking nation. I should not be expected to learn someone's elses language just because they decided to come here. I am also a little tired of having to look hard on commercial packageing to find the instructions in English.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 AM

31 posts, read 66,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
THANK YOU!!! I have too, but these people dont seem to agree.
whatever. The questions isn't whether they can or can't speak english, it is whether it bothers you or not.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
no and i speak spanish so it besides the point. well to be honest i get a lil irritated that i can get better and faster customer service when i speak spanish on the phone.
anyway what bugs me, really, when kidults cannt speak or read english very well now that really bothers me. of course i am speaking about "college students". really overall limited speaking ability way below college level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration