Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 01:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
American business have always had a long history of cutting corners, collusion, monopoly, etc.,etc., and now the latest, employing illegal aliens. American businesses aren't ever going to police themselves.

Employing illegal aliens has been so lucrative, that employers of illegals have been able to buy politicians, even Presidents, and to hire a legion of pro illegal open border lobbyists/activists to try to convice the sheeple of the dire consequences to the economy of getting rid of illegal labor. Another very important job of these activists is to deflect the full responsibility for this illegal Mexican invasion away from those who caused it, the unscrupulous employers of the exploited illegals.
As you stated.

Safety regulations: intrusive Big Government intervention or common sense (I am referring to seat belts in vehicles, noise protection in factories, pollution control, etc. obviously)?

You decide (rhetorically speaking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:03 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
American business have always had a long history of cutting corners, collusion, monopoly, etc.,etc., and now the latest, employing illegal aliens. American businesses aren't ever going to police themselves.

Employing illegal aliens has been so lucrative, that employers of illegals have been able to buy politicians, even Presidents, and to hire a legion of pro illegal open border lobbyists/activists to try to convice the sheeple of the dire consequences to the economy of getting rid of illegal labor. Another very important job of these activists is to deflect the full responsibility for this illegal Mexican invasion away from those who caused it, the unscrupulous employers of the exploited illegals.
It seems that we have some of those sheeple on this thread now.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
Thinking of retiring to Mexico? It's very relaxing and laid back here, good place to let your fears and anxieties fade away!

dave,

isn't there any danger of the federales waking you up in the middle of the night and instructing you to leave? someone once told me that this happened to her in baja (rosarito bch, i think)

Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Thinking of retiring to Mexico? It's very relaxing and laid back here, good place to let your fears and anxieties fade away!
This is an option that appeals to many Americans, for many reasons. It's made particularly appealing by the fact that, should one elect to do this, while retaining US citizenship, the US could serve as a 'place of refuge' when, and if, anything ever 'turns sour' in Mexico.....

Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 PM

334 posts, read 827,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
dave,

isn't there any danger of the federales waking you up in the middle of the night and instructing you to leave? someone once told me that this happened to her in baja (rosarito bch, i think)
Not a chance, unless, I guess, if you were here illegally, or involved in the drug/gunrunning business, or -- and this DOES happen -- if you are a fugitive from the US on a serious charge, then they might "hunt you down".

But otherwise, no, no problem. There are 14,000 US/Canadians who live/own property in Rosarito, a city of 140,000.

It's inconceivable that Mexico would want to rid itself of good people who contribute to the economy and do not cause trouble.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:32 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
It's inconceivable that Mexico would want to rid itself of good people who contribute to the economy and do not cause trouble.
Most countries would agree with this. People who contribute to the economy and do not cause trouble are ALWAYS welcome.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It's a suicide mission and they have the option to take it or not. So if your trying to draw sympathy,,,your wasting your time.
I'm not hoping to change you mind on anything where the immigrants are concerned, there are more than enough in every state people that are concerned about their plight.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:52 PM

269 posts, read 812,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I do not agree. These people are poor that are crossing the borders. They do not have the time or the money it takes to do it the legal route. If I were desperate to feed my family I would do the same thing.
Good as your intentions are, I don't think that's the honest way to do things.

My ex used to always tell me if worse comes to worse and he "couldn't" feed our family, he would "steal" to get it. (And gosh darn those a-holes who would lock him up for "doing what he has to do for his family"...) This was his justification for being lazy and not working. Rather than fix the problem and get a job, and feed his family the legal way, he was "willing" to say screw the law, if I have to feed my family, I'm doing it! (Know he never did... that was just his way of boosting his ego for inadequacy)

My point being, there's NEVER any reason someone would HAVE to do something. People make choices. If my family ever came to a point where we couldn't have fed our kids... Stealing was only ONE of the choices. Asking for government help is another, asking for friends/family help is another, looking for another job is also another... and those are the LEGAL choices... Why opt for the illegal one? Because it's easier and less stomping on your pride? Well in jail, your pride means nothing.

That's just like the immigration debate. I doubt they HAVE to come here illegally. They CHOOSE to. How is it fair that Mexico borders the US and they get to hop here illegally with no money so easily, but there are plenty of people in Asia, Philippines, Europe, etc... who have to pay money, apply and wait years?

I have nothing against Mexico, I was just using that as an example since (I think) that's where this thread was going... (From seeing people mention borders) My opinion goes for ALL people coming illegally from ALL countries.

I just think it's unfair everyone who comes here legally has to wait years, but some people can just hop right over any day they want. My mother had to wait 7 years for her to come here with my sister and I. (My dad already lived here) She had applied to come here before she got pregnant with me, and was finally approved when I turned 6! That's not even half as bad as my aunt who waited 19 years. (She came here about 3 years ago... She applied the same time my mom did!) If these people had to wait, I don't see why others shouldn't.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slove1106 View Post

My ex used to always tell me if worse comes to worse and he "couldn't" feed our family, he would "steal" to get it. (And gosh darn those a-holes who would lock him up for "doing what he has to do for his family"...) This was his justification for being lazy and not working. Rather than fix the problem and get a job, and feed his family the legal way, he was "willing" to say screw the law, if I have to feed my family, I'm doing it! (Know he never did... that was just his way of boosting his ego for inadequacy)

My point being, there's NEVER any reason someone would HAVE to do something. People make choices. If my family ever came to a point where we couldn't have fed our kids... Stealing was only ONE of the choices. Asking for government help is another, asking for friends/family help is another, looking for another job is also another... and those are the LEGAL choices... Why opt for the illegal one? Because it's easier and less stomping on your pride? Well in jail, your pride means nothing.

That's just like the immigration debate. I doubt they HAVE to come here illegally. They CHOOSE to. How is it fair that Mexico borders the US and they get to hop here illegally with no money so easily, but there are plenty of people in Asia, Philippines, Europe, etc... who have to pay money, apply and wait years?

I have nothing against Mexico, I was just using that as an example since (I think) that's where this thread was going... (From seeing people mention borders) My opinion goes for ALL people coming illegally from ALL countries.

I just think it's unfair everyone who comes here legally has to wait years, but some people can just hop right over any day they want. My mother had to wait 7 years for her to come here with my sister and I. (My dad already lived here) She had applied to come here before she got pregnant with me, and was finally approved when I turned 6! That's not even half as bad as my aunt who waited 19 years. (She came here about 3 years ago... She applied the same time my mom did!) If these people had to wait, I don't see why others shouldn't.
Point well made..........thank you

Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slove1106 View Post

I thank you for your post. I do agree that Ilegal immigration is a problem, that this government has done nothing about. As you can tell from the amount of posts that neither side can agree. I wish there was a workable solution for all concerned but I doubt that will happen. I wish the ones that have been here for a long time and not causing problems would be allowed to stay, either that or let them come over and work and go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration