Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:05 PM

101 posts, read 247,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Did you stop to think that JUST POSSIBLY his teachers are so busy teaching English to illegals that madmann101 and his legal American peers/students are being slighted in their education?
We, as human beings, sometimes prefer to shift the blame to others rather than saying it was my/our fault, because the latter is so much harder and it requires other complicated steps including self evaluation that we often tend to avoid.

To answer your question, it's not solely the teacher's responsibility for kids to learn, but also parents/guardians and most importantly, the student. There are ESOL classes that seperate regular students from non-English speaking students, not to mention special classes for honors and gifted students at most schools. Even if that's not the case, it's shouldn't be too much to ask an America born individual over age 12 to learn decent English.

There is no child in America who cannot get a library card that allows him/her access to limitless sources of information and knowledge, if he/she chooses to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 06:13 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times
notbymeofficer wrote: Im not sure where you got your percentage stats.. mine differ.. the hispanic population is the majority here now.. stats are skewed because reporting is estimated because no one really knows how many illegal immigrants are here.. take a drive around L.A. ,, one hour will have you unscientifcally realizing non hispanics are the minority

I got the percentages from the 2005 quickfacts web site of the U.S. Census Bureau. Of course, the numbers cover the entire states, and I have found many of them to be congregating in more areas than others. Hence, it looks much worse in Los Angeles or maybe south Texas than in some other parts of the states. Regardless, it's a MAJOR problem.

For instance, I live outside of a small town and work in another small town albeit larger than where I live. The town in which I work has much higher stats.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
yeah, Waco dosen't have a very good school system. Waco High is not a really good school cause of the lack of discipline and teaching. basically there they just pass you and last year they had an article about the school and it had 67 fights in one semester and 15 in the first month of the next semester, it is really sad.

I'm sorry about my grammer I don't never double check what I write so please bare with me lol.
I sympathize only to a certain level with your situation. It's true that kids don't learn on their own, but one cannot solely rely on teachers and the school system. If one who's born and living in America has the drive to succeed, with the exception of some extreme circumstances, there should not be anything to stop him/her.

You don't have to rely on your teacher to learn how to spell and write appropriately. There are books at you school or your local library that teach you how to do that for free. All you have to do is spend some time to learn it on your own. If you're willing to do that for every subject, you will be placed in honors and advanced classes away from the problems you're complaining about. Even if your school don't have honors classes, by learning more or learning how to learn will prepare you better for college if that's where you want to go and even if not, it will prepare you better for the real world.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
Don't worry about it.
I would have to strongly disagree. amjd, would you have said the same if it was your high school son/daughter who's writing like that?

Madmann101, do worry about it. Do yourself a favor and make your parents proud by following the advice I mentioned above. Three years from now, you'll be glad you did.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcity View Post

To answer your question, it's not solely the teacher's responsibility for kids to learn, but also parents/guardians and most importantly, the student. There are ESOL classes that seperate regular students from non-English speaking students, not to mention special classes for honors and gifted students at most schools. Even if that's not the case, it's shouldn't be too much to ask an America born individual over age 12 to learn decent English.

There is no child in America who cannot get a library card that allows him/her access to limitless sources of information and knowledge, if he/she chooses to learn.
I agree with what you've said but unfortunately, much of this is not realistic is this day and age. Do you happen to work at a public school? I do, and I hope not all children "care less" about an education as so many of them do at the school where I'm employed. The world in which we're living today is not the world I lived in as a youngster.

It is very sad, but true. I'm not referring to the illegals as many of them are hungry to learn.

For what it's worth, below is a quote by
Theodore Roosevelt that I think makes much sense.

"The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin or preventing all possibility of its continuing as a nation at all would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Not ALL illegal immigrants are bad for the US and our economy. Certain number of these illegal immigrants are very hard working and are productive members of society. Some of their kids even have the potential to become future leaders of America.
I'm sorry, but this kind of soft-headed reasoning -- that the Rule of Law can be trumped by economic outcomes -- is exactly the kind of brainrot that obscures the issues and perpetuates the problem. But if it makes sense to you, than here's some more of it:

1. Not all drug-dealers are bad. Most are creative entrepreneurs with good business skills who offer excellent customer service (including, in many cases, after-hours service and home delivery). Besides, who among us has never had a prescription filled at a pharmacy? That's makes you a drug user, too, so who are you to judge!

2. Not all prostitutes are bad. They are very hard-working hospitality-industry professionals who contribute to the economy by supplying a service for which there is a considerable demand...work that many college-educated people simply do not want to do. Almost all of them work the night shift -- weekends and holidays, too -- and tip their managers very well. At the very least it's better than drawing welfare, isn't it? If prostitution ended tomorrow, most of the country's economy motels would have to go out of business.

3. Not all gang members are bad. Many have a high degree of aesthetic sensitivity, and are quite accomplished in the aerosol arts and old English calligraphy. Who knows which one will become the next Picasso? Most are excellent marksman and great drivers, being able to operate vehicles they've never even been in before at high speed. These are brave and selfless souls, too. How many of YOU would be willing to volunteer this amount of time to patrol your neighborhood?

and so on, and so on...

Old 12-26-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I would have to strongly disagree. amjd, would you have said the same if it was your high school son/daughter who's writing like that?

Madmann101, do worry about it. Do yourself a favor and make your parents proud by following the advice I mentioned above. Three years from now, you'll be glad you did.
If my son or my daughter were to write poorly and someone who didn't know them went to all the trouble of correcting them on a Worldwide web site, I would really wonder about the person doing so.

As I mentioned earlier, I am feeling a bit of compassion for Madmann101. Don't you think you've humiliated him enough? I believe he gets the picture.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:36 PM

431 posts, read 393,915 times
Quote:

hotcity, you are unbelievable! You ASSUME madmann101's parents are not already proud of him?? Do you know him? Do you know his parents? No, you don't. Why are you picking on him? He posted a legitimate thread/topic about the ILLEGAL students in his town and school. You've crucified his every post for his grammar. Get over yourself and get on topic of ILLEGAL immigration and it's effects on our towns and cities across America.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I'm sorry, but this kind of soft-headed reasoning -- that the Rule of Law can be trumped by economic outcomes -- is exactly the kind of brainrot that obscures the issues and perpetuates the problem. But if it makes sense to you, than here's some more of it:

1. Not all drug-dealers are bad. Most are creative entrepreneurs with good business skills who offer excellent customer service (including, in many cases, after-hours service and home delivery). Besides, who among us has never had a prescription filled at a pharmacy? That's makes you a drug user, too, so who are you to judge!

2. Not all prostitutes are bad. They are very hard-working hospitality-industry professionals who contribute to the economy by supplying a service for which there is a considerable demand...work that many college-educated people simply do not want to do. Almost all of them work the night shift -- weekends and holidays, too -- and tip their managers very well. At the very least it's better than drawing welfare, isn't it? If prostitution ended tomorrow, most of the country's economy motels would have to go out of business.

3. Not all gang members are bad. Many have a high degree of aesthetic sensitivity, and are quite accomplished in the aerosol arts and old English calligraphy. Who knows which one will become the next Picasso? Most are excellent marksman and great drivers, being able to operate vehicles they've never even been in before at high speed. These are brave and selfless souls, too. How many of YOU would be willing to volunteer this amount of time to patrol your neighborhood?

and so on, and so on...
Excellent!! You're a genius!!

Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 PM

Steve87415, nice try, but your reasoning is flawed. You focus on the illegality rather on the un-ethicality of their actions. Drug dealers and prostitutes all violated the virtual universally accepted ethical standard, but not immigration.

Comparing drug dealing to immigration is like comparing pre-meditated murder to self defense. Yes, I agree with you that they broke the law; however, moral and ethical considerations impinge upon most legal questions and may decisively influence how the law will be applied and law changes to reflect on these moral and ehtical considerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration