Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Not 25 years, in 2000 in oregon white dudes were making 10-12 an hour. My husband has been in construction 20 years, and he is now a PM, and they still want to pay him 20.00 an hour!!!
My mistake, nice information..I know they don't pay that well in California, I'm sure of that...but in your last quote you do understand the complications of a low supply of caucasian workers in the always booming construction industry. I went to Utah, saw some Latinos doing Construction in the snow. I wonder if they know about yellow snow, since it doesn't snow in Latin America much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 02:21 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
My mistake, nice information..I know they don't pay that well in California, I'm sure of that...but in your last quote you do understand the complications of a low supply of caucasian workers in the always booming construction industry. I went to Utah, saw some Latinos doing Construction in the snow. I wonder if they know about yellow snow, since it doesn't snow in Latin America much.
Being in the business as long as we have, there is no shortage of white dudes, businesses just choose to hire the lower wage workers. Many white dudes have either opened their own business and now hire illegals or have gone on to be PM's or supers or gotten out alltogether. Construction ISNT for everyone, but I know some women that frame, believe me there are people that will do the work for fair pay. It has taken several years to almost exclude the white guy from many construction markets, they are there you just dont see them.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Dont go there, white dudes do construction, my husbands one of them and I know so many more. White dudes cant afford to live off the money they pay illegals , (that have taken the jobs), because we pay taxes.
Yeah, your husband probably holds an upper level construction management job. Again, we are talking about the peons, the serfs. Yeah, but the illegal immigrants send money back to their families so that cuts the tax differential.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, your husband probably holds an upper level construction management job. Again, we are talking about the peons, the serfs. Yeah, but the illegal immigrants send money back to their families so that cuts the tax differential.
He didnt always have a higher position, we prefer laborers to peons, anyway, he had to get out of the labor part,no one would hire a white guy that wanted 12-15 and hour, when they could pay 2-5 for an illegal!!! And yes they send money back but when you have 10 living in a home sharing expenses, it adds up. Me I prefer to live with just a couple people!!! my family!!

Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 PM

It's supply and demand. More willing illegal workers, less demand of citizens, lowering of wages, removal of citizens.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 PM

I do believe that if more "citizens " did the work we would have better quality in construction. That I have witnessed way to many times. as far as the builders go they get what they pay for. And then we over pay for it.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:32 PM

More citizens don't do the work because it's physically draining to the max. I did construction for one week, and was horribly soar after each day.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
More citizens don't do the work because it's physically draining to the max. I did construction for one week, and was horribly soar after each day.
No not the case at all, I know women that do it, I have done it and I am small. My husband is 5'11 and 175 pounds. You get used to it, just like anything else. People would be surprised by how many people I know that would jump at the chance. Saying there is no one willing to do the work thats why the illegals do it is a lame excuse, they pushed them out.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:49 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the illegal immigrants send money back to their families so that cuts the tax differential.
And therein lies a huge problem....that $$$ is not going back into the US economy

Old 12-30-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
And therein lies a huge problem....that $$$ is not going back into the US economy
yep..........

"According to the study, sponsored by the Multilateral Investment Fund of the 47-nation Inter-American Development Bank, remittances from the United States to Latin America this year will total more than $45 billion. That is 51 percent higher than they were only two years ago."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration