U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2007, 01:12 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,858,230 times
Reputation: 330

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 View Post
You need to get out more. I have been to La, seen so much trash, and dead cars, lived next to some in NC bad there to as well as Maryland. As well as in Oregon. With disrespect comes trash. My number one reason for not wanting Illegals here, disrespect of my family that came here the hard way and assimulated and didnt protest or complain.
I need to get out more, I'm wanting to explore the rest of the country. Yeah the disrespect and the reverse racism is really harmful to American Citizens. I know what your talking about. Reverse Racism never feels good. I don't see a connection with garbage and disrespet though. What part of Los Angeles did you see those dead cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2007, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I need to get out more, I'm wanting to explore the rest of the country. Yeah the disrespect and the reverse racism is really harmful to American Citizens. I know what your talking about. Reverse Racism never feels good. I don't see a connection with garbage and disrespet though. What part of Los Angeles did you see those dead cars?
People that thrash their neighborhood or country for that fact shows complete disrespect. If someone dumped garbage on your street would you find like respectful? Hopefully not. i dont remember what part it was, we were visiting. I think it was east though. I NEVER use derogatory terms to people of different races, including illegals, but they sure like to sling them around to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2007, 01:46 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,858,230 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;243920
I NEVER use derogatory terms to people of different races, including illegals, but they sure like to sling them around to us.
LOL...this is funny...I have never heard so many racial jokes towards hispanics based on gardeners and fence cutting and hiding in trunks of cars. I've heard jokes, slurs. [mod cut - racial slang names ] RACISM ALWAYS GOES BOTH WAYS. I appreciate you not making derogatory racial terms, but it's very clear they exist every way possible.

Last edited by enlightenme; 01-02-2007 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: racial slang names
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2007, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
LOL...this is funny...I have never heard so many racial jokes towards hispanics based on gardeners and fence cutting and hiding in trunks of cars. I've heard jokes and slurs. RACISM ALWAYS GOES BOTH WAYS. I appreciate you not making derogatory racial terms, but it's very clear they exist every way possible.
It does go both ways, I wont say them, i dont like people calling them those names, that has nothing to do with them being illegal and I dont agree with people that do that. but make it very clear that they are just as guilty,my husband has almost come unglued by the things they have said to me in a sexual context, ( yes you pick things uop in spanish after awhile) luckily there are a few I know that stand up to them for me, and those I respect because they have shown me respect.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2007 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2007, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
489 posts, read 1,833,341 times
Reputation: 368
Default NOT isolated incidents

I fail to see how anyone can even suggest that such horrific behaviors and incidents are "isolated". Here we are on the Forum discussing the same problems, behaviors, and incidents, and not everyone is from the same state and yet sharing the same negative experiences and fallout from our illegal immigrant neighbors. That, for me, is proof that these are not at all isolated incidents or exceptions. This is just typical illegal immigrant behaviors.

Illegals drive our wages down because they will accept less pay (because they can when sharing expenses with 10 other illegals in one home, apartment, or condo and share one vehicle!), and our American citizen business owners have no loyalty to fellow citizens because they want more money for themselves. Illegals do trash our neighborhoods by not keeping up the property and the areas where they choose to live; they do give a bad appearance where they are living because not only are they seen in large groups sitting outside or standing around, but they also enjoy being heard as well (their loud Mexican or Cuban music blaring while they have their country flags waving in the wind!); they do deplete our government resources (need for additional law enforcement agencies and picking up the tab for their medical and oftentimes housing expenses!); they do continue to speak their own language rather than learn English (and expect us to accommodate them by learning THEIR language); they do drive without driver's licenses and insurance; and they do all of this while sending back money to their home countries rather than contribute to the country that gives them such opportunity - THE U.S. Not to mention that they feel entitled to even more and demand it.

I don't know what is happening when American citizens - business owners or not - look the other way when all of this is going on. I also have no idea why an American would defend illegals. Ignoring the problem or denying it is why illegals are here, and that is why our way of life and quality of life is being threatened. And it just sickens me when I read posts here that even begin to suggest that the U.S. needs illegals and the contributions that they make. That is just nonsense. We didn't get to be The Great United States of America by having illegals work for less pay while putting our own people out of jobs with better pay and also requiring Americans to know a foreign language to secure employment IN THE U.S.! We didn't get to be the great country that we are by making free medical care available to illegals while failing to provide the same care - at no cost - to our own people who have an honest need for it. If they all left right now, business owners would be forced to pay a living wage to American citizens. This is what was happening prior to our illegal immigrant problem, and it is also what will happen if and when we are fortunate enough to ever see them all deported (as they should be). If an American / citizen business owner cannot be in business or remain in business unless they have illegal immigrants on their payroll, then that business owner very simply cannot afford to be in business for him or herself. This is not rocket science.

It is the desire for denial, POPULARITY OF BEING "PC", and the "It isn't my problem" attitude that has given way to this terrible problem, and it will be those things that ensure that this problem continues while escalating.

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions, but I think it would be great if all of us who feel this way made a commitment not just to ourselves but to our country to storm our leaders concerning the illegal immigrants and the problems we are facing because of this issue - - not just air them here. The Forum is great, and I will continue to air my griefs here; however, it seems that there are enough people on these threads that if we all took these complaints to our people in government (and refused to vote for the people not enforcing laws concerning illegal immigrants), we should be able to at least be heard and possibly even get some changes made. I don't know what I alone can do, but I am going to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I fail to see how anyone can even suggest that such horrific behaviors and incidents are "isolated". Here we are on the Forum discussing the same problems, behaviors, and incidents, and not everyone is from the same state and yet sharing the same negative experiences and fallout from our illegal immigrant neighbors. That, for me, is proof that these are not at all isolated incidents or exceptions. This is just typical illegal immigrant behaviors.

Illegals drive our wages down because they will accept less pay (because they can when sharing expenses with 10 other illegals in one home, apartment, or condo and share one vehicle!), and our American citizen business owners have no loyalty to fellow citizens because they want more money for themselves. Illegals do trash our neighborhoods by not keeping up the property and the areas where they choose to live; they do give a bad appearance where they are living because not only are they seen in large groups sitting outside or standing around, but they also enjoy being heard as well (their loud Mexican or Cuban music blaring while they have their country flags waving in the wind!); they do deplete our government resources (need for additional law enforcement agencies and picking up the tab for their medical and oftentimes housing expenses!); they do continue to speak their own language rather than learn English (and expect us to accommodate them by learning THEIR language); they do drive without driver's licenses and insurance; and they do all of this while sending back money to their home countries rather than contribute to the country that gives them such opportunity - THE U.S. Not to mention that they feel entitled to even more and demand it.

I don't know what is happening when American citizens - business owners or not - look the other way when all of this is going on. I also have no idea why an American would defend illegals. Ignoring the problem or denying it is why illegals are here, and that is why our way of life and quality of life is being threatened. And it just sickens me when I read posts here that even begin to suggest that the U.S. needs illegals and the contributions that they make. That is just nonsense. We didn't get to be The Great United States of America by having illegals work for less pay while putting our own people out of jobs with better pay and also requiring Americans to know a foreign language to secure employment IN THE U.S.! We didn't get to be the great country that we are by making free medical care available to illegals while failing to provide the same care - at no cost - to our own people who have an honest need for it. If they all left right now, business owners would be forced to pay a living wage to American citizens. This is what was happening prior to our illegal immigrant problem, and it is also what will happen if and when we are fortunate enough to ever see them all deported (as they should be). If an American / citizen business owner cannot be in business or remain in business unless they have illegal immigrants on their payroll, then that business owner very simply cannot afford to be in business for him or herself. This is not rocket science.

It is the desire for denial, POPULARITY OF BEING "PC", and the "It isn't my problem" attitude that has given way to this terrible problem, and it will be those things that ensure that this problem continues while escalating.

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions, but I think it would be great if all of us who feel this way made a commitment not just to ourselves but to our country to storm our leaders concerning the illegal immigrants and the problems we are facing because of this issue - - not just air them here. The Forum is great, and I will continue to air my griefs here; however, it seems that there are enough people on these threads that if we all took these complaints to our people in government (and refused to vote for the people not enforcing laws concerning illegal immigrants), we should be able to at least be heard and possibly even get some changes made. I don't know what I alone can do, but I am going to try.


I know they are not isolated. I have been in the construction industry for more than 15 years in four states, it is always the same thing. I havent been able to run to another counrty to solve our problems we have to stay and stick it out and try to make it better, and if I did I am sure if I just sucked off their system they would arest and have me deported. Why should the situation be any different here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
 
4,307 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Reputation: 1572
Let's see... FedUpInFtMyers...

With increased wages comes costs. Are you willing to put a dent in the economy? A lot of fruit companies, construction companies, and other firms knowingly hire illegals to make the bottom line better. If you supposedly flushed out all of the illegals and put in legal residents, this would mean increased costs.

By the way, the people most hurt by illegal immigration are high school dropouts.

Just because the news publicizes "illegal immigrant behaviors" doesn't mean they are in most of them. What you need to do, FedUpInFtMyers, is find out how many illegal immigrants commit violent crimes, and, of a total illegal population, compare it to the native born U.S. population.

"Illegals do trash our neighborhoods by not keeping up the property"

They tend to live in apartment complexes next to each other, so they tend to not trash tree-lined middle class subdivisions. Of course, such places can give negative impressions of a city overall (i.e. Los Angeles), but, the best solution is to tackle the symptom, as the companies would not appreciate you going after the "problem."

Also, I feel like people carry the attitude of "illegals always commit violent crimes" so they do not have the "moral guilt" for not supporting new people moving into their area to better their own lives. The same attitude has been used against New Orleans Katrina evacuees. Since I recognize how this attitude is used, I ask for statistics about such crimes. Giving me individual news stories isn't going to cut it, since plenty of native-born Americans ALSO commit murder.

My way of dealing with illegal immigration is...
1. Put all illegals who drive cars (full stop) or commit violent crimes into forced prison labor.
2. Enforce city laws regarding upkeep of property
3. If you really do not like illegal immigration, do not buy products from illegal immigrant labor

Now, this isn't really related, but, if you find friends who you know are in to illegal drugs, beat some sense into them.

What we need to do is find a way to drastically reduce illegal immigration without starting price hikes and without draining the companies of their profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Orange County
354 posts, read 763,065 times
Reputation: 169
Fedupinftmyers, since you so long to know exactly how the U.S. became a world power, I'll provide an annotated history of primary aspects of America's economic growth.

The United States (rather, the 13 original colonies) largely began to import slaves in the early 18th century. By 1860, the slave population grew to 4 million. These slaves made the US agricultural industry as great as it was-- and at little cost to the "native" European-Americans.

As the 1st Industrial Revolution reached the US around the time of abolition, the US economy faced a legitimate problem-- a great need for laborers to work in recently flourishing factories. Luckily, the Irish potato famine and overall European pitfalls brought hundreds of thousands of immigrants willing to work for, you guessed it, very low wages. Upon the turn of the 20th century and the height of the 2nd Industrial Revolution, immigration included individuals from every Western, Southern, and Eastern European country. Additionally, a relatively smaller amount of Mexican immigrants sought employment in the "roaring 20's". However, when the Great Depression caused a shortage of jobs, the US government deemed both legal and illegal Mexicans "expendable" and exported about 500,000 laborers via Mexican Repatriation.

Both revolutions put America on the map of great, prosperous nations. However, as any economist will preach to you, TINSTAAFL-- there is no such thing as a free lunch. America's journey to greatness came at quite a high price; thousands of immigrant laborers, including young children, died at the hands of inhumane working and living conditions. Open racism ocurred in EVERY part of the country against persons of EVERY ethnic origin. I'm sure every Californian can recall the initial legislation to reject Chinese immigration. But, California businessmen couldn't resist the cheap labor and they began to welcome the influx. The result was thousands of Asian immigrants working in conditions no different than those of African-Americans a hundred years prior.

After the Immigration Act and Nationality Act were passed in the mid-20th century, an influx of Latin American immigrants came primarily to the southwestern states. As history repeats itself, the Latino population served to fill the low wage jobs as earlier immigrants became successful, assimilated, and rose above the lower class. At the turn of the 21st century, Latin American immigration has shown few signs of slowing; millions of Latinos currently occopy a majority of low wage jobs in several locales throughout the US.

So there you go... the noble ways in which America primarily achieved its greatness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
 
211 posts, read 220,336 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
After the Immigration Act and Nationality Act were passed in the mid-20th century, an influx of Latin American immigrants came primarily to the southwestern states. As history repeats itself, the Latino population served to fill the low wage jobs as earlier immigrants became successful, assimilated, and rose above the lower class. At the turn of the 21st century, Latin American immigration has shown few signs of slowing; millions of Latinos currently occopy a majority of low wage jobs in several locales throughout the US.
The difference is that those European nations we had large amounts of immigrants from were still relatively modern and industrializing. They were hotbeds of technology, invention and creativity. Large scale immigration from places such as Germany, Scandinavia, etc was not much of a problem because these are people who were intelligent and had contributed greatly to civilization.

Compare this to the flood of immigrants from countries whose races have no significant civilization to their credit and bring in disproportional amounts of crime and disease and you can see why we have a very real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 02:18 PM
 
157 posts, read 277,289 times
Reputation: 43
Angry Logic

Illegals is what we don't want. Don't say race. It is illegals and they would not be missed either. Maybe by welfare workers but not citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top