Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 PM

328 posts, read 240,093 times

Advertisements

I may be a little naive, but sunny, why would you be offended if someone called you Caucasian? Totally curious...I've never heard anyone say that in my 30 years of life...give or take...lol

Old 01-04-2007, 11:30 PM

11 posts, read 40,504 times
Let's face it - we have almost free flows of capital and goods in the world. So why not labor? After all, USA made the largest effort of all contries for the development of this global economy (from which we profit handsomely too) and the movement of labor is just another side of it. I think as long as global economy exists there will be very significant migration whether or not goverments choose to stop it - the pressure is just too strong and it is not worth the effort. So to stop illegal immigration - just give an automatic visa to everyone who can land a job offer - make it legal - at least you will collect on taxes that way.
If all goes well with the world, I bet in 100 years from now the fact that people were required to undergo elaborated procedures and were often banned to move, live and take a job in another country just because they had a misfortune to be born outside it, would seem as barbaric as we view slavery today.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:49 AM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
Let's face it - we have almost free flows of capital and goods in the world. So why not labor? After all, USA made the largest effort of all contries for the development of this global economy (from which we profit handsomely too) and the movement of labor is just another side of it. I think as long as global economy exists there will be very significant migration whether or not goverments choose to stop it - the pressure is just too strong and it is not worth the effort. So to stop illegal immigration - just give an automatic visa to everyone who can land a job offer - make it legal - at least you will collect on taxes that way.
If all goes well with the world, I bet in 100 years from now the fact that people were required to undergo elaborated procedures and were often banned to move, live and take a job in another country just because they had a misfortune to be born outside it, would seem as barbaric as we view slavery today.
So, let's let all the MILLIONS of $.10 per hour laborers from China just go anywhere they feel like working in the world to compete, including this country. Man, that sounds like a fantastic idea! The average Joe might be lucky enough to land a $.25/hr job in this country then. That is precisely the problem with what a lot of people consider globalization--which a more accurate term would be exploitation. All those high paying tech jobs would be gone, since tons of people from India would flood over and drive down wages. I could go on and on. This would create the ultimate divide between rich and poor. It sounds like a great plan...if you're a CEO...

Old 01-05-2007, 01:51 AM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times
Oh and BTW, that free flow of goods...well, we can just look at our trade deficit to see who's been the real benefactor in those deals...

Old 01-05-2007, 01:56 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Keep in mind that 400 years ago this land was 100% non-white until European colonists began genocide, rape, and widespread theft. Could this be justice coming around at last?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

By that logic, shouldn’t you be speaking Algonquin?

Seriously…

Illegal immigration is a problem. But all this talk about “preserving White America” and treating English as some sort of sacred, unchanging icon is silly. 1,500 years ago I’m sure that there were lots of Romans bemoaning the death of Latin. It’s not that they were wrong. It’s that you can’t stop history from happening.

There are good, sensible economic and social reasons for enforcing strict immigration laws. But “preserve White society” certainly isn’t one of them.

You want to stop illegal immigration? Here’s what you do:

Repeal NAFTA and CAFTA.

Penalize US corporations who utilize out-of-country labor and manufacturing. Reinstitute a just and fair tariff system.

Find businesses who are employing illegal aliens, hit them with heavy fines, and start throwing some CEOs in jail. Get the Waltons a nice prison cell until every Wal-Mart in the world no longer uses illegal labor.

Strengthen labor unions. You know why businesses rarely used illegal labor throughout the 1950s and ’60s? Because unions kept them out. Construction sites couldn’t hire illegal immigrants because the unions would raise H-E-double-hockey-sticks.

Fund education. It sickens me how so many conservatives bemoan so many in their communities who can’t speak English or read or write, then they turn around and vote to cut education funding. If you want the new legal immigrants to learn your language, you need to teach them.
Hahaha,
Most Ignorant Post Ever...

Tellus about the "Tooth Fairy"...

Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 AM

79 posts, read 286,051 times
yes there is a way.... leave the usa and become a legal immigrant somewhere else like new zealand or argentina. forget europe, they have their own issues with different types of immigrants. much worse issues than we have here. those riots in paris for instance.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
I am not guilty for every sin created 100 years ago... bad nasty europeans..

Indian tribes in California are so heavily on the public dole I think reparations have been made thousands of times over.. I would love to be exempt from many taxes and regulations.. wouldnt you? The tribe here hands out 30k every january first to all its tribal members... just where is that money coming from? Its comes, of course, directly or indirectly from the rest of us...yuck.. makes me sick..

We cant "get away" from immigrants.. nor should we... but we NEED to "get away" from illegal immigrants for all the reasons stated 10,000 times over and over.

Its easy to tell when someone hasnt dealt with , daily, the overhwhelming effects of the broken system. What is apparent is that we are ALL now being impacted... and this impact is slowly creeping towards every community in America.... and the life we knew... the American dream... it will not be the same for any subsequent generation
Im third generation Irish... should I demand payment because my grandad was discriminated against in Hells Kitchen 100 years ago?

Bottom line... I want to live with people who have the same traditions as I do... and a feeling of something cohesive as an American.. and its the American that is bleeding away...

Old 01-05-2007, 07:19 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
yes- but prefer not to be called it-lol. For the same reason I respect that some black Americans would rather be called African American, and others would not- I take offense to being called "caucasian" that term was never used in the 60's 70's 80's or even 90's.

That being said, I will step out now!

sunny.
Interesting. I didn't know that African-American was a race. Always thought the race was "black" and that African-American, as Irish-American, as Cuban-American, as German-American, was an ethnic origin and the race could be black, caucasian, asian, or native indian.
Hispanic or Latino also is not a race. It's an ethnic background that can be from any race - eg. Asian but of hispanic origin.

How about Homo Sapien? You don't want to be one of those either?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 AM

211 posts, read 290,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Hispanic or Latino also is not a race. It's an ethnic background that can be from any race - eg. Asian but of hispanic origin.
Hispanic is a stupid census term but it was really added to keep tabs on the brown-skinned population. As it is the overwhelming majority in the United States are non-White (although they are counted under White crime statistics).

There should get rid of the term all together and add ones such as Mestizo, Amerindian, etc. As people from Spain should follow under "White" and those from Argentina (which has a White majority) and Brazil (whose Southern areas are White and wealthy).

Either way -- the term "Hispanic" is a stupid census term. It was created to keep tabs on the Brown population.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
Hispanic is a stupid census term but it was really added to keep tabs on the brown-skinned population. As it is the overwhelming majority in the United States are non-White (although they are counted under White crime statistics).

There should get rid of the term all together and add ones such as Mestizo, Amerindian, etc. As people from Spain should follow under "White" and those from Argentina (which has a White majority) and Brazil (whose Southern areas are White and wealthy).

Either way -- the term "Hispanic" is a stupid census term. It was created to keep tabs on the Brown population.
It is a census term. You've got your races and then they've added of Hispanic origin or the other choice of non-hispanic origin. But I'm glad somebody knows that Hispanic is not a "race".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration