U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember the Berlin Wall?

It did an excellent job of keeping the East Germans in East Germany. Many people (including myself) wanted it torn down (which came to pass in 1989) because the German people on both sides of it despised the Wall.

Now; a properly fortified barrier running across our Southwest would essentially shut down the flow of illegals to almost zero.

Ff the narcos attempted to do as you stated------that would be an Act of War which would probably lead to the total destruction of Mexico.

Understand something about American culture: slow to anger; once pissed off-------we go flat out 'postal'. Let that serve as a warning to the narcos.
America and Mexico will not go to war. They have way too many economic ties.
If they did, it would have a horrible outcome for both sides.
As you konw, many Mexicans are rabidly proud of their country..a lot more unity under the flag than maybe even here.
Its bad enough when American's are battlign guerillas all the way in Iraq and Vietnam.
But with Mexico next door?
It would be very bad for both countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2008, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
America and Mexico will not go to war. They have way too many economic ties.
If they did, it would have a horrible outcome for both sides.
As you konw, many Mexicans are rabidly proud of their country..a lot more unity under the flag than maybe even here.
Its bad enough when American's are battlign guerillas all the way in Iraq and Vietnam.
But with Mexico next door?
It would be very bad for both countries.
I doubt it will come to war.

Still; fortify the border and enforce the law pertaining to illegal immigrants that is presently enacted in Oklahoma-----nation wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,921,320 times
Reputation: 5539
I agree with ArizonaBear. It would never come to war between the two countries.

If the US would fine or jail corporate executives that employ illegal aliens then 90 percent of this problem would be solved. Mexico and other countries are taking advantages of the "look the other way" mentality of corrupt politicians and other lawmakers that want this slave labor. Take away the carrot and the problem of illegal immigration will dwindle to a trickle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I agree with ArizonaBear. It would never come to war between the two countries.

If the US would fine or jail corporate executives that employ illegal aliens then 90 percent of this problem would be solved. Mexico and other countries are taking advantages of the "look the other way" mentality of corrupt politicians and other lawmakers that want this slave labor. Take away the carrot and the problem of illegal immigration will dwindle to a trickle.
Hammer, meet nail.

Well spoken, Synopsis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I doubt it will come to war.

Still; fortify the border and enforce the law pertaining to illegal immigrants that is presently enacted in Oklahoma-----nation wide.
I think it could come to war. The current and more likely next USA administration will have a very deep interest in keeping the Mexican government in power.

If things don't work out for Calderon and it seems as though the Mexican government is in danger of losing it's grip over that nation, if the Mexican military doesn't maintain control for the government then I think the USA will go to war with Mexico.

We'd be on the side of the wealthy elites, we would do whatever we had to do to keep the Mexican government in power. We're already involved by throwing millions of dollars their way. Everytime Calderon insists that he needs more millions for his military, he's got them. No questions asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 05:56 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it could come to war. The current and more likely next USA administration will have a very deep interest in keeping the Mexican government in power.

If things don't work out for Calderon and it seems as though the Mexican government is in danger of losing it's grip over that nation, if the Mexican military doesn't maintain control for the government then I think the USA will go to war with Mexico.

We'd be on the side of the wealthy elites, we would do whatever we had to do to keep the Mexican government in power. We're already involved by throwing millions of dollars their way. Everytime Calderon insists that he needs more millions for his military, he's got them. No questions asked.

YouTube - American Veteran Removes US Flag from beneath Mexican Flag

This guy would definitely be happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
I think it could be quite close to war now. Not war against the Mexican government of course. It's difficult to really tell what is going on down there, who is killing who and why. The military is supposedly there maintaining control, although more police and citizens are being killed than ever.

We never really read why a particular person has been executed, supposedly they are all working for some drug cartel but I'm less and less convinced that's the case. Over 400 just in Juarez so far in 2008, which seems like an awful lot of people being killed. The police are abandoning their stations for good reason, another death list was just released and those are not hoaxes, they kill the police on that list.

Either the Mexican military is supporting one or the other cartel or just plain incompetenet since after they arrived the killings have escalated alarmingly. Some big name people have been killed -- who really knows if they were corrupt or not. It's already affecting tourism somewhat.

If things start getting bad over there, I wouldn't put it past our government to offer military assistance. That would actually get us into a war no matter what they actually call it. "Peacekeeping" could be the way it's called but it would still amount to a kind of war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it could be quite close to war now. Not war against the Mexican government of course. It's difficult to really tell what is going on down there, who is killing who and why. The military is supposedly there maintaining control, although more police and citizens are being killed than ever.

We never really read why a particular person has been executed, supposedly they are all working for some drug cartel but I'm less and less convinced that's the case. Over 400 just in Juarez so far in 2008, which seems like an awful lot of people being killed. The police are abandoning their stations for good reason, another death list was just released and those are not hoaxes, they kill the police on that list.

Either the Mexican military is supporting one or the other cartel or just plain incompetenet since after they arrived the killings have escalated alarmingly. Some big name people have been killed -- who really knows if they were corrupt or not. It's already affecting tourism somewhat.

If things start getting bad over there, I wouldn't put it past our government to offer military assistance. That would actually get us into a war no matter what they actually call it. "Peacekeeping" could be the way it's called but it would still amount to a kind of war.
And I hope to God that disaster is headed off at the pass, so to speak.

If things truly 'blew up' SOB-------we would be dealing with a hell of an influx of refugees in the USA who we could not in good faith 'deport' for obvious reasons. At least for the period of time needed to secure Sonora, etc. for Displaced Person camps so the above could at least be back in their own nation.

That may explain my strong personal unease here in Arizona from just N of Tucson on towards the Mx border.

Using our military to destroy the Mexican army, etc. if they attacked the USA would be one thing-------I would have a huge problem slaughtering tens of thousands of helpless civilians who were fleeing probable atrocities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 PM
 
93 posts, read 297,334 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I agree with ArizonaBear. It would never come to war between the two countries.

If the US would fine or jail corporate executives that employ illegal aliens then 90 percent of this problem would be solved. Mexico and other countries are taking advantages of the "look the other way" mentality of corrupt politicians and other lawmakers that want this slave labor. Take away the carrot and the problem of illegal immigration will dwindle to a trickle.
Keep your eye on Arizona. Hispaniphobes here recently enacted an employer sanctions law that would suspend and possibly even devoid business licenses of companies hiring illegal immigrants...using the E-Verify system to check I believe. So far, not a single infraction has been reported despite the hype (Correct me if I'm wron ArizonaBear..I know you will).

"(conversation overheard at Phoenix-area McDonalds)... Gee..how come that Spanish-speaking McDonalds employee hasn't been deported yet? WHAT!!! He has papers...damn! how can I sanctify my blatant disregard for brown people who speak other languages now????"

Good luck with your giant thunderdome over the continental united states xenophobes. i hope it's foreign language-proof too in case someone speaks "non-english" at the border
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewbank View Post
Keep your eye on Arizona. Hispaniphobes here recently enacted an employer sanctions law that would suspend and possibly even devoid business licenses of companies hiring illegal immigrants...using the E-Verify system to check I believe. So far, not a single infraction has been reported despite the hype (Correct me if I'm wron ArizonaBear..I know you will).

"(conversation overheard at Phoenix-area McDonalds)... Gee..how come that Spanish-speaking McDonalds employee hasn't been deported yet? WHAT!!! He has papers...damn! how can I sanctify my blatant disregard for brown people who speak other languages now????"

Good luck with your giant thunderdome over the continental united states xenophobes. i hope it's foreign language-proof too in case someone speaks "non-english" at the border
Crewbank:

Since when has being against illegal immigration been considered xenophobic? To me; it is a sign of patriotism.

Or; are you afraid of something?

My father was in immigrant; he came here legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top