Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times

Advertisements

I think the same people who believe "The Council of La Raza" is racist a group are those who think ACLU is racist, also BET is a racist TV channel or the Telemundo Spanish channel is racist.

There is a distinct difference in a group providing support for a minority vs not being supportive of other races. La Raza speaks for rights of Hispanics in America, they provide representation for a minority in a dominant euro-white country.

IMO most Americans automatically think La Raza is racist because it means "The Race" in Spanish. This is a major misinterpretation of the words, and often applied wrongly to distract from what the group really does.

Remember La Raza = The Race doesn't mean they want to conquer all of the world and make everyone Mexican. Actually to Mexicans it just means Chicano or Mestizo, in San Diego they have Museums for La Raza:

Centro Cultural de la Raza

From what I have read it has mostly been allegations of racism towards the NCLR, nothing of substance. They aren't going around burning crosses or hanging folks of other colors.

Here is a good speech from the President of the NCLR that discusses many of the allegations and the stance of the NCLR:
http://www.nclr.org/files/42528_file_CHICANOFEDSPEECHMAY2005FINAL.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
But let s be clear about something; we want the same things that
all Americans want no matter what their color, no matter what
their heritage, no matter how they identify themselves. We
understand the nations very legitimate needs to ensure its security
because, like all Americans, we want to be secure in our own
homes.

Last edited by Mach50; 07-01-2008 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,747,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I think the same people who believe "The Council of La Raza" is racist a group are those who think ACLU is racist, also BET is a racist TV channel or the Telemundo spanish channel is racist.

There is a distinct difference in a group providing support for a minority, vs not being supportive of other races. La Raza speaks for rights of Hispanics in America, they provide representation for a minority in a dominant euro-white country.

IMO most Americans automatically think La Raza is racist because it means "The Race" in Spanish. This is a major misinterpretation of the words, and often applied wrongly to distract from what the group really does.

Remember La Raza = The Race doesn't mean they want to conquer all of the world and make everyone Mexican. Actually to Mexicans it just means Chicano or Mestizo, in San Diego they have Museums for La Raza:

From what I have read it has mostly been allegations of racism towards the NCLR, nothing of substance.

Great post!!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
I think the same people who believe "The Council of La Raza" is racist a group are those who think ACLU is racist, also BET is a racist TV channel or the Telemundo spanish channel is racist.

There is a distinct difference in a group providing support for a minority than not being supportive of other races. La Raza speaks for rights of Hispanics in America, they provide representation for a minority in dominant euro-white country.

Remember La Raza = The Race doesn't mean they want to conquer all of the world and make everyone Chicano. Actually to Mexicans it just means Chicano or Mestizo, in San Diego they have Museums for La Raza:

From what I have read it has mostly been allegations of racism towards the NCLR, nothing of substance.

If their "Raza" includes only "Chicanos" and "Mestizos," I think many of us would appreciate if they'd stop saying they advocate for "Hispanic" rights, as by the "Mexican" definition, MOST Hispanics in the world aren't part of "La Raza."

Then again, most non-Chicanos know that groups like "La Raza" don't REALLY care about all Hispanic/Latinos at large, and are simply a pander group trying to get power in the American Southwest where a large number of Mexican decent persons are present.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:35 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
From what I have read it has mostly been allegations of racism towards the NCLR, nothing of substance. They aren't going around burning crosses or hanging folks or other colors.
Actually, that was fully acknowleged, by myself and a couple of others. Indeed I endeavored to state that they are not in the same league as the Klan as far as racism goes. But racist they are.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If their "Raza" includes only "Chicanos" and "Mestizos," I think many of us would appreciate if they'd stop saying they advocate for "Hispanic" rights, as by the "Mexican" definition, MOST Hispanics in the world aren't part of "La Raza."

Then again, most non-Chicanos know that groups like "La Raza" don't REALLY care about all Hispanic/Latinos at large, and are simply a pander group trying to get power in the American Southwest where a large number of Mexican decent persons are present.
They started off as mainly a Mexican "Chicano" group, Puerto Ricans joined in on the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's and from there it has grown to encompass Latinos or Hispanics.

You are proving my point though, most people just pick at the name.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Actually, that was fully acknowleged, by myself and a couple of others. Indeed I endeavored to state that they are not in the same league as the Klan as far as racism goes. But racist they are.
But why do you call them racist? I don't think they have done anything to hurt other races.

Is wanting immigration reform and civil rights for the Latino population hurting other races?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
They started off as mainly a Mexican "Chicano" group, Puerto Ricans joined in on the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's and from there it has grown to encompass Latinos or Hispanics.
Indeed. I wonder what great work they've done for Cubans or Argentinians recently?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:55 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
But why do you call them racist? I don't think they have done anything to hurt other races.

Is wanting immigration reform and civil rights for the Latino population hurting other races?
I explained why in my first post. You may refer to that.

They do not want immigration reform. They want unimpeded access to come here above and beyond what our very generous laws and quotas allow. No country on Earth allows that. Civil Rights? People who reside here legally benefit from the same laws and protections as anyone else. People who are illegal have broken the law and thus have automatically compromised their postion within society. So would it be for me if I entered another country illegally.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Indeed. I wonder what great work they've done for Cubans or Argentinians recently?
From what I have read the NCLR and the CNC (Cuban American National Council, Inc. (CNC)) are United. As well as many other Latino groups like CASA (COLOMBIAN AMERICAN SERVICE ASSOCIATION ), Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund (Puerto Rican Defense) etc.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I explained why in my first post. You may refer to that.

They do not want immigration reform. They want unimpeded access to come here above and beyond what our very generous laws and quotas allow. No country on Earth allows that. Civil Rights? People who reside here legally benefit from the same laws and protections as anyone else. People who are illegal have broken the law and thus have automatically compromised their postion within society. So would it be for me if I entered another country illegally.
Where in this statement from the President of the NCLR does it state they want unimpeded access?

Quote:
But let s be clear about something; we want the same things that
all Americans want no matter what their color, no matter what
their heritage, no matter how they identify themselves. We
understand the nations very legitimate needs to ensure its security
because, like all Americans, we want to be secure in our own
homes.
http://www.nclr.org/files/42528_file...Y2005FINAL.pdf (broken link)

Or how about on their own site:

Quote:
Border Security and Immigration
Unfortunately, NCLR has been called an “open-borders advocate” and the “illegal alien lobby” numerous times. NCLR has repeatedly recognized the right of the United States, as a sovereign nation, to control its borders. Moreover, NCLR has supported numerous specific measures to strengthen border enforcement, provided that such enforcement is conducted fairly, humanely, and in a nondiscriminatory fashion. For example:
National Council of La Raza: Border Security and Immigration (http://www.nclr.org/section/border/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration