Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

i beg to differ sur
illegals do not voluntarily pay taxes.
but i do agree that they should work pay taxes and get social security
IN MEXICO claim your citizenship now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Spanish culture, language, and values is what unites the different spanish american countries, including the usa where there are more spanish people than in Spain, there are different terms that the anglos use in an attempt to group spanish people, however, none accomplishes the term spanish that we prefer....
That's funny, I don't know of any Spanish speakers in this country that like to be referred to as Spanish or Spaniards because most of them are from Mexico and cling to their native indian roots and the only thing Spanish about them is their usage of the Spanish language. The Mestizos of Mexico that comprise most of the Spanish speakers in this country like to be called Mexicans or Mexican-Americans, not Spaniards.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Spain??, I've been there many times, and I know
the people of every region very well, one thing about them is that they don't want to be like the english or swedish, they want to be themselves, even the catalan speaing people are very spanish conservative, they are also very proud of the spanish expansion into the Americas, you bring
the issue of skin tones again, yes there are racist people, but not like we have here in the US where there is almost total segregation of racial groups, except for the spanish who can mingle with any group, I would like to know where you get such misconceptions, ???????
Methinks I touched a nerve somewhere.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Spanish culture, language, and values is what unites the different spanish american countries, including the usa where there are more spanish people than in Spain, there are different terms that the anglos use in an attempt to group spanish people, however, none accomplishes the term spanish that we prefer....
4th lie I caught. Keep it comin'.

Quote:
Have you ever been to Spain??, I've been there many times, and I know
the people of every region very well, one thing about them is that they don't want to be like the english or swedish, they want to be themselves, even the catalan speaing people are very spanish conservative, they are also very proud of the spanish expansion into the Americas, you bring
the issue of skin tones again, yes there are racist people, but not like we have here in the US where there is almost total segregation of racial groups, except for the spanish who can mingle with any group, I would like to know where you get such misconceptions, ???????

Geez, all this talk about Spain. This is so not the issue here. I don't get why people keep bringing this up. You've never been to Spain. Gotta be kidding - conservative? Sinngle payer health care system and gay-marriage dosen't sound very conservative to me ( which is a good thing ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That's funny, I don't know of any Spanish speakers in this country that like to be referred to as Spanish or Spaniards because most of them are from Mexico and cling to their native indian roots and the only thing Spanish about them is their usage of the Spanish language. The Mestizos of Mexico that comprise most of the Spanish speakers in this country like to be called Mexicans or Mexican-Americans, not Spaniards.
Well, of course not. If your white and someone would call you black, then I'm sure you wouldn't like that.
Spaniards are white, most Mexicans are not. Would be kind of ignorant if you call a person something he/she isn't.

Last edited by XodoX; 12-07-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM

411 posts, read 468,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Methinks I touched a nerve somewhere.

I'm sure you are well intended, I just wanted to clarify some facts...

Old 12-07-2009, 11:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Most of the Spanish "speaking" in this country are Mestizos from Mexico. They are not Spanish people per se and not referred to as such. They are usually referred to as Latinos or Hispanics or by their nationality of Mexican.

Not difficult at all to tell whether we are talking about illegal aliens in this country or legal Hispanics. Your side are the ones who blur the lines. Of course we object to their ethnocentric aiders and abettors also. Is that a surprise?
When they're trying to impress everyone, they like to call themselves Spaniards, Europeans and claim that Spaniards are better than all other Europeans, but when they're standing in the financial aid lines and demanding their affirmative action handouts, they will grab the minority label.

They are the Conquistador and the Victim at the same time.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When they're trying to impress everyone, they like to call themselves Spaniards, Europeans and claim that Spaniards are better than all other Europeans, but when they're standing in the financial aid lines and demanding their affirmative action handouts, they will grab the minority label.

You notice that as all I see.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 PM

411 posts, read 468,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

A tactic people have used for centuries has been to strip people's culture out of their heart by degrading their culture with stupid remarks, that will never work with the Spanish-american community, since thre is too much pride and cohesion, and the question always remains, Assimilate to what???

1. to not beleive in the concept of family
2. to disregard any other culture
3. talk about assimilation, however live in profound segregation, wtf???
4. Thanksgiving and hamburgers, I give you that.

USA is great because of the government system, as it was made in resemblance to the French constitution, however cultural identity is certainly not our strength....

Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
A tactic people have used for centuries has been to strip people's culture out of their heart by degrading their culture with stupid remarks, that will never work with the Spanish-american community, since thre is too much pride and cohesion, and the question always remains, Assimilate to what???

USA is great because of the government system, as it was made in resemblance to the French constitution, however cultural identity is certainly not our strength....
Yet our culture, the culture of the American people, gave us a great and wealthy nation, with a very strong middle class. Don't forget - the American culture is about middle class, respect for laws and so on.

In fact almost all English speaking nations are the cultures of the middle class, the 3 countries in the western hemisphere with the highest standards of living, the most middle class cultures are the USA, Canada, and Barbados, all 3 English speaking.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
And if this is the case, then why do all the people of hispanic countries do whatever they can to leave their nations of hispanic culture to come and live the good life of the American culture?

Why aren't hispanics at least attempting to immigrate to hispanic culture countries if the values of those cultures are so great? No. Instead they're dying to flee the countries formed by their own culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration