Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,748,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Does ten people in a home bother you and Mexican flags hanging outside their houses? I could honestly say I care more about my toilet than this issue.
If you don't care about it then why are you discussing it?

Both bother me, along with all their gang signs, making us foot the bill so they can bear more children, teach their children English (so they can still speak Spanish at home), lock up their criminals, etc. You should care. It's going to effect the whole future of the country. AND your tax dollars are being spent on them. Blech!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
If you don't care about it then why are you discussing it?
I was making a simple point.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:13 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,552 times
Quote:
I know some that don't misuse the system and some who do. Regardless, I respect others no matter what they do to me or my surroundings, and others choose to vent their anger in such a way that lets the situation overrun them. I would never see a favorable immigration stat on this site, because as they say in psychology, it's called confirmation bias.
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Do you have a job? Pay taxes? As for the favorable immigration statistics, why don't you post some for us? You live in California, correct? My husband grew up in Santa Monica. At the time, the California public schools were the finest in the nation. Perhaps you can tell us how much things have improved in CA in the last 15 years or so.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:31 PM

989 posts, read 5,926,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Top 5 Reasons Why I love Illegal Immigrants:

1) They do jobs I don't want to do.
2) Help make cities more vibrant.
3) I love Latin women.
4) They help divert attention from us African Americans.
5) I love Mexican and Central American food.
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Your reasons are crap. You want food? GO TO MEXICO! You want prostitutes?-Go to Mexico! Whatever you do-just leave now.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:48 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,786 times
Well, I won't shy away from questions. I'm 20 years old, i worked in an office for six months until last October, and I pay taxes. I'm currently about to take a job as a pizza delievery man. The reason why California has slid in the past few years, traffic congestion/commute time, overpriced homes, run down neighborhoods and poor schools. These are not produced by illegal immigrants. except for children having the inability to speak strong English in public schools. Most homes were built in the 40's and 50's, they need remodeling. The high populations consists of job opportunities. The congestion caused by 36 million people who reside in the state, fourteen million more than any other state. The overpriced homes from willing buyers who desire the weather, a proffesional job, and an upscale community. Their are blacks, whites, latinos, and asians in Los Angeles County who have members involved in gangs and are in prison, and degrade the community around them. Their are illegal immigrants who are involved in gang activities and degrade communities, but their the only ones taking cheap shots. Where might you live? If I post immigrant statistics, you folks will show a confirmation bias towards your own opinions.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:22 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,552 times
Quote:
Well, I won't shy away from questions. I'm 20 years old, i worked in an office for six months until last October, and I pay taxes. I'm currently about to take a job as a pizza delievery man. The reason why California has slid in the past few years, traffic congestion/commute time, overpriced homes, run down neighborhoods and poor schools. These are not produced by illegal immigrants. except for children having the inability to speak strong English in public schools. Most homes were built in the 40's and 50's, they need remodeling. The high populations consists of job opportunities. The congestion caused by 36 million people who reside in the state, fourteen million more than any other state. The overpriced homes from willing buyers who desire the weather, a proffesional job, and an upscale community. Their are blacks, whites, latinos, and asians in Los Angeles County who have members involved in gangs and are in prison, and degrade the community around them. Their are illegal immigrants who are involved in gang activities and degrade communities, but their the only ones taking cheap shots. Where might you live? If I post immigrant statistics, you folks will show a confirmation bias towards your own opinions.
I live in a suburb of Chicago, just west of the city. It is considered one of the more integrated areas around Chicago, our population is 66% white, 22% african american and 12% asian, hispanic, etc. We also have a sizeable gay/lesbian population. There is probably more 'diversity' on my block than in many people's neighborhoods. For the most part everybody gets along. The village promotes the fact that it is home to people from different races, etc. so that tends to select for people who don't mind living next door to someone who is not a cookie cutter replica of themselves.
But I digress. See, Chicago is a 'sanctuary city' and we have experienced a large influx of illegal aliens within the past 5-10 years and, to be real honest with you, I don't see the net impact they have on the city as being positive.
I am still interested in your immigration statistics if you are willing to post them.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 PM

989 posts, read 5,926,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Chicago is a 'sanctuary city' and we have experienced a large influx of illegal aliens within the past 5-10 years and, to be real honest with you, I don't see the net impact they have on the city as being positive.
I was told by a young fellow in CT that "illegals enhanced his life."...LOL So I asked him how so? and if he could imagine his life without them and if it would be better??. Needless to say, he changed his mind. In conclusion, many people just say, "whatever" about immigration. Many just try and bring only the positive out of all bad situations.. ..and that's simply not the best way to operate any business or society.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,496,263 times
Quote:
Does ten people in a home bother you and Mexican flags hanging outside their houses? I could honestly say I care more about my toilet than this issue.

That's because you live in a upper class neighborhood that's mostly white and still attached to Mom and Dads purse strings. Try living out in the world on your on, perhaps Az or Tx for awhile and see how it really is.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM

178 posts, read 735,314 times
You know it's kind of funny because the whole point of the forum
is to help people decide what places they could move to etc, that could
improve their lives and that they would enjoy living in. I live
in a tourist place with lot's of immigrants and I was just thinking
the other day that, that's why they have moved to the United States.
To improve their lives. The ones that are here in the desert work
hard and are law abiding. I mean there are bad apples everywhere
.... what about the white trash meth users that are "ruining" everywhere.
Yes, there are some bad elements of the immigrants from Mexico
but I would bet they are a very small percent compared as a whole.
I'm sure there are area's in La etc where you see mostly the bad
elements but those are area's where there are bad elements of all
races and ethnicity. I don't dislike people for the color of their skin
or where they come from. There are good and bad in all,and
for me it's hard to dislike someone who's just trying to move their
family to a better place. It's like the people in Oregon hating Californians...
It's pretty arrogant I think on their part. I've lived in California 46 years and
I've seen every town I've lived in explode with growth. Yes, I don't like
the changes but it's to be expected. I can't expect to "own" my town
and keep all other new comers out. After all .... we're all newcomers
sometime or somewhere. Even if it's just being born into a town.
Oh, and I wonder how many of us,if we had been born in Mexico would
be trying to figure out a way to get our families and ourselves here to the US.
I consider myself lucky to live in such a great place as the United States where
others risk their lives to cross the border to work manual jobs making
less than minimum wage.

Last edited by la quinta family; 02-02-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-02-2007, 10:24 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,340 times
[quote=dusesean1986;329531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;329201

Instead they spread around their mess with gangs, graffitti, etc.

And from what I've seen, the blacks and hispanics fight each other!!!

QUOTE]

Your ignorance is quite visible.
Well if his ignorance is visible, how about the report from the Southern Poverty Law Center that was just released within the past week. It didn't really make many headlines, but here's some snippets:

...Incredibly, even though these gangs are fundamentally criminal enterprises interested mainly in money, gang experts inside and outside the government say that they are now engaged in a campaign of “ethnic cleansing”—racial terror that is directed solely at African Americans.
...“There’s absolutely no motive absent the color of their skin,” adds former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Michael Camacho.
...Anti-black violence conducted by Latino gangs in Los Angeles has been ongoing for more than a decade. A 1995 Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) report about Latino gang activity in the Normandale Park neighborhood declared, “This gang has been involved in an ongoing program to eradicate Black citizens from the gang neighborhood.” A 1996 LAPD report on gangs in east Los Angeles stated, “Local gangs will attack any Black person that comes into the city.”
...The LAPD estimates there are now 22,000 Latino gang members in the city of Los Angeles alone. That’s not only more than all the Crips and the Bloods; it’s more than all black, Asian, and white gang members combined. Almost all of those Latino gang members in L.A.—let alone those in other California cities—are loyal to the Mexican Mafia. Most have been thoroughly indoctrinated with the Mexican Mafia’s violent racism during stints in prison, where most gangs are racially based.
...Researchers found that in areas with high concentrations, or “clusters,” of hate crimes, the perpetrators were typically members of Latino street gangs who were purposely targeting blacks. Furthermore, the study found, “There is strong evidence of race-bias hate crimes among gangs in which the major motive is not the defense of territorial boundaries against other gangs, but hatred toward a group defined by racial identification, regardless of any gang-related territorial threat.”

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intel...le.jsp?aid=722
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration