Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's too often the case -- and face it -- the ones we would want to bring here are the very people their own countries should be trying to keep.

Brain drains are a big problem to the third world, how can you develop when your best minds are being lured away?

We should want to bring stability and prosperity to more countries than just our own. It's not helpful to us to take the welfare classes of the third world, but it's also not helpful to take all their best potential out either. We simply cannot hold the entire world's population in the USA so it's time to realize that there needs to be other countries for people to live in.
I know where you are coming from about the 'brain drain'..............just that First World culture people (no matter their actual ethnicity) want to live where the Rule of Law holds sway.

Money/talent/brains follows money/talent/brains AKA water seeks its own level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM

78 posts, read 139,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
The Internet is full of appeals calling for loosened immigration from Haiti. The country is in chaos and with the damage from the last few hurricanes we need to allow a significant number of Haitians to come to America.

Would you support significantly increasing immigration from Haiti?
If they are suffering, I would allow them to come in and share their culture with us

Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuquiyu View Post
If they are suffering, I would allow them to come in and share their culture with us
That is a beautiful sentiment, but what if their culture was at direct odds with ours? I know this wouldn't apply to Haitians, but there are cultures out there that do approve of such things as female genital mutilation, child slavery and honor killings. Culture does encapsalate more then food and music.....

Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That is a beautiful sentiment, but what if their culture was at direct odds with ours? I know this wouldn't apply to Haitians, but there are cultures out there that do approve of such things as female genital mutilation, child slavery and honor killings. Culture does encapsalate more then food and music.....
As you stated.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
Some parts of South Florida already look like Haiti. So no thanks we don't need anymore.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
why would we want to????????????????Cant be the life boat for every one............Can WE?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:46 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
It's not Uncle Sam's responsibility to take care of some dirt poor woman in Haiti who decided to have 6 kids, even though she can't even financially afford to take care of 1 kid let alone 6. Let the Haitian government deal with it, that is their job not ours. It's not America's fault that so many of Haiti's poor and the poor in the 3rd world in general do not have common sense. The last thing we need is more welfare queens in the U.S, after all we already have our fair share here and I don't want the number to keep increasing no thanks.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:

child slavery, honor killings?????? what is this?, a commune in the U.S.?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:11 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Quote:
That is a beautiful sentiment, but what if their culture was at direct odds with ours?
I find any immigrant culture who's birth rates are high enough to displace the native culture an act of ethnic cleansing. Sorry I could not be more PC about it. Mexifornia is a perfect example. I dont see the same thing happening in Mexico. Complete hypocrites.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I find any immigrant culture who's birth rates are high enough to displace the native culture an act of ethnic cleansing. Sorry I could not be more PC about it. Mexifornia is a perfect example. I dont see the same thing happening in Mexico. Complete hypocrites.

Do you mean when the mexican territory of California was invaded?....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration