Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM

485 posts, read 1,840,236 times

Advertisements

In my many visits to Mexico, where a previous company I worked for had many offices, I was always shocked by the poverty and passive nature of its citizens. I liked many aspects of the Mexican culture but strongly believed that the country will never have the prosperity of the United States, Canada or Western Europe.

Many people tell us that if only America would work with the Mexicans on their economy and send them billions of dollars in economic aide, their economy would boom and they would no longer need to send huge numbers of immigrants into America.

If only it were so easy. I see the main problem with Mexico is the Mexican Culture. People live for their families and live for the day. Education and infrastructure development are not considered that important. What can be done tommorrow will wait. Being on time is not that important or is efficency or a sense of urgency.

Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
In my many visits to Mexico, where a previous company I worked for had many offices, I was always shocked by the poverty and passive nature of its citizens. I liked many aspects of the Mexican culture but strongly believed that the country will never have the prosperity of the United States, Canada or Western Europe.

Many people tell us that if only America would work with the Mexicans on their economy and send them billions of dollars in economic aide, their economy would boom and they would no longer need to send huge numbers of immigrants into America.

If only it were so easy. I see the main problem with Mexico is the Mexican Culture. People live for their families and live for the day. Education and infrastructure development are not considered that important. What can be done tommorrow will wait. Being on time is not that important or is efficency or a sense of urgency.

Agree or disagree?
First and foremost, for more than a century, we have done everything humanly and humanely possible and are currently at risk of surrending our soverneignty all in the name of propping up Mexico.

For decades we have provided their government and its citizens: economically, socially, emotionally, militarily and now politically. You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make it drink.

It's time to seal our borders, get rid of their illegal aliens, wash our hands of this cesspool and get our own house in order.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:24 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:

Agree or disagree?
Mexico already gets billions from our American economy. The $$ wired back home to Mexico from the illegal aliens and legal immigrants here in the US is the 2nd largest industry of Mexico-only behind tourism.

Mexico has been the beneficiary of American factories shutting down and relocating to Mexico due to NAFTA. Again more $$ out of the American economy to the Mexican economy.

We taxpayers also send how much $$ in aid to Mexico?

All this and illegal aliens still come here. We don't need to give Mexico anymore $$.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Despite what the above people are assuming, Mexico is improving. It has a pretty good economy due to all the foreign corporations(including American) investing in Mexico.

To understand whats wrong with Mexico, you have to understand its past of bad leadership.

But as the economy in Mexico improves, there is now a growing middle class. What Mexico needs to do right now is clean house, put a stop to the corruption that is so deeply rooted in the military/government/police.

Mexico is adjacent to the country with the biggest demand for drugs. It is also in between the United States and a lot of places that make those drugs. Mexico's unique location makes it vulnerable to all kinds of corruption. Transporting drugs into the United States is BIG business.

People say a lot of bad things about Calderon(or any other Hispanic in power), but I see him shaking up the cartels.
Also, I read about a "legal revolution", a number of young lawyer types who are determined to end the corruption of the Mexican legal system.
Like I said before ,I think its up to the youth of Mexico to put an end to the cycle of corruption.

I dont think the cartels will ever go away(Americans are always going to need their drugs!), but I think that the Mexicans will want change in the coming years/decades.

I only see Mexico improving in the future. Theres more than enough money to go around. Little by little, I think the status quo will break. People have been protesting a lot lately in Mexico. I think people know what they want, and thats the most important thing.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
Quote:

Agree or disagree?
completely disagree. these are generalizations. what are you basing this on?

i have plenty of family in mexico and other parts of america. none of them are starving. most are university educated and very well off. most stayed because they were smart. why would they come here to work for nothing when they can work over there for a lot more.

it is a certain type of person that comes looking for a "better life". but even then its hard to fully describe those people.

the culture is not the problem. it is national policy. and transnational policy. its puppet politicians. its corrupt cops. its drug cartels. its a lot more complex than a simple laid back attitude.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
completely disagree. these are generalizations. what are you basing this on?

i have plenty of family in mexico and other parts of america. none of them are starving. most are university educated and very well off. most stayed because they were smart. why would they come here to work for nothing when they can work over there for a lot more.

it is a certain type of person that comes looking for a "better life". but even then its hard to fully describe those people.

the culture is not the problem. it is national policy. and transnational policy. its puppet politicians. its corrupt cops. its drug cartels. its a lot more complex than a simple laid back attitude.
Lol. THIS is not the reason Mexico has problems:

Old 09-11-2008, 03:10 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
What we are getting is the bottom of the barrel. Those cast aside by their govt. The equivalent here of transients and homeless.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,219,784 times
[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bDo.iclI1EgBYCOjzbkF/SIG=12dvdgu52/EXP=1221253822/**http%3A//renaseveados.weblog.com.pt/arquivo/r3132178813.jpg[/IMG] and this is why america has problems, except they walk without the robes on, and disguise themselves as regular citizens!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:12 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Despite what the above people are assuming, Mexico is improving. It has a pretty good economy due to all the foreign corporations(including American) investing in Mexico.

To understand whats wrong with Mexico, you have to understand its past of bad leadership.

But as the economy in Mexico improves, there is now a growing middle class. What Mexico needs to do right now is clean house, put a stop to the corruption that is so deeply rooted in the military/government/police.

Mexico is adjacent to the country with the biggest demand for drugs. It is also in between the United States and a lot of places that make those drugs. Mexico's unique location makes it vulnerable to all kinds of corruption. Transporting drugs into the United States is BIG business.

People say a lot of bad things about Calderon(or any other Hispanic in power), but I see him shaking up the cartels.
Also, I read about a "legal revolution", a number of young lawyer types who are determined to end the corruption of the Mexican legal system.
Like I said before ,I think its up to the youth of Mexico to put an end to the cycle of corruption.

I dont think the cartels will ever go away(Americans are always going to need their drugs!), but I think that the Mexicans will want change in the coming years/decades.

I only see Mexico improving in the future. Theres more than enough money to go around. Little by little, I think the status quo will break. People have been protesting a lot lately in Mexico. I think people know what they want, and thats the most important thing.

How ironic that you state that "Americans are always going to need their drugs." Talk about lumping people together. Unlike Mexicans who live by that mantra, Americans don't. There is a segment of our population that deal and use illegal drugs but unlike the culture in Mexico which thrives and exists on corruption, overall drug use is NOT taking over the lives of every American in this country.

As for Mexico improving, hell they should be. Our government is forcing us to pay astronomical amounts in tax dollars to do everything for those living illegally inside the US and the few who remain in Mexico.

Yet 100 years later Mexico remains the crazy uncle in the closet that is beyond help that nobody in our government wants to talk about or free us from the misery they have created for us. All because of the cruel hoax of our misfortune of sharing a border.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
and this is why america has problems, except they walk without the robes on, and disguise themselves as regular citizens!

They have ghosts in Mexico? Cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration