Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM

15 posts, read 18,617 times

Advertisements

I know non-Hispanic whites are Hispanic whites are part of the white race. Is there a difference between the two groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner123 View Post
I know non-Hispanic whites are Hispanic whites are part of the white race. Is there a difference between the two groups?
In one word: yes.

Although in all fairness: the word 'political' is more accurate.

Why I say that is there are many 'Anglos' with Spanish surnames from countries like Great Britain, Italy, France, Australia, etc.----------let alone Blacks and Asians (especially Filipinos).

OTOH: many 'Hispanics' (people from Latin America) do have non Spanish last names as well.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner123 View Post
Can you tell the difference between Polish and Greeks? Both are white. Or can you tell any difference between Scottish and Italians both of which are usually white.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Can you tell the difference between Polish and Greeks? Both are white. Or can you tell any difference between Scottish and Italians both of which are usually white.
Italians and Greeks are southern Europeans and usually have darker hair and darker skin(olive) and Scottish and Polish are further up north. Thats one difference

Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Italians and Greeks are southern Europeans and usually have darker hair and darker skin(olive) and Scottish and Polish are further up north. Thats one difference
My G/F is of 1/2 Italian heritage and is Nordic White (blue eyed blonde) in appearance whereas her brother (same mother and father) looks 'Mestizo'.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My G/F is of 1/2 Italian heritage and is Nordic White (blue eyed blonde) in appearance whereas her brother (same mother and father) looks 'Mestizo'.
Either your G/F Italian heritage is from Northern Italy or inherited the Nordic White genes more. Sometime the genes skip, it can go either way.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Well I guess I don't quite get the question since "hispanics" can be as fair skinned as some Scottish or as brunette as some Greeks.

You can't tell "hispanic" whites from other whites except by their national origins. That is, someone from Mexico who is white might not act and talk exactly like someone from Argentina who is also white. Same as whites from England can talk and act different from whites from the USA or whites from Australia.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well I guess I don't quite get the question since "hispanics" can be as fair skinned as some Scottish or as brunette as some Greeks.

You can't tell "hispanic" whites from other whites except by their national origins. That is, someone from Mexico who is white might not act and talk exactly like someone from Argentina who is also white. Same as whites from England can talk and act different from whites from the USA or whites from Australia.
Its not always about skin tone half of the time Spanish( Spain) people look different from Scottish whites by their features.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
According to Wikipedia, 8% of the U.S population is made up of "White Hispanics" and they number at over 24 million, which I have a very hard time believing the number is that high. Go to any Hispanic bairro and you are not going to see alot of white looking people. Anybody here who lives in a state with a sizeable Hispanic population would take that information with a grain of salt. I live in a state with a fairly sizeable Hispanic population and I rarely meet people with a Spanish last name that would blend right in a crowd of NASCAR fans for example. And when I do meet one they are almost always half Anglo and not fully Hispanic, like my current girlfriend who is half Colombian but looks white because she is also a quarter German and a quarter Swedish.
White Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
I am from Spain. So I'll give you a very brief story. Spain was invaded by just about every body Celts, Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greeks, Romans, Visigoths and Moors. Spanish people as well as culture is a mixture of all this groups.
Here is the link in case you want to read up on Spanish History: History of Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To answer your question we don't have any signs on our foreheads so you can tell who we are. I have an accent but most people can't tell where it is from. I do have to say that since I have children and I speak to them in Spanish in public people look at me different. But then again it may just be curiosity as to what we are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration