Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,340 times

Advertisements

this kid is a diamond in the rough. if he can get into Harvard and earn a 50k/year scholarship, then he must have accomplished something extraordinary. Something most of you can only hope your kids will ever achieve. He deserves to be in America. Srcew your "God given rights" just because you were born here.

In my eye those that crawled under a fence to sell drugs on the streets are no different than the trash that sit all day in their trailers drinking beer -- all losers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 AM

200 posts, read 349,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
this kid is a diamond in the rough. if he can get into Harvard and earn a 50k/year scholarship, then he must have accomplished something extraordinary. Something most of you can only hope your kids will ever achieve. He deserves to be in America. Srcew your "God given rights" just because you were born here.

In my eye those that crawled under a fence to sell drugs on the streets are no different than the trash that sit all day in their trailers drinking beer -- all losers.
Hero to who, illegal aliens? He needs family reunification with his family in Mexico. Who are you to deny him that. Only a cold person would keep him from his mother and brother and sisters in Old Mexico. I bet he misses his grandmother. Think what a big Hero he would be in Mexico if he graduated from college there. He doesn't need to be here costing the taxpayers anymore money. He broke the laws coming here and knew the consequence if he was caught or detected which is deportation. Bye, Bye little Juan you will return to Mexico now, with a free bus ticket. See, how nice we are, free bus ticket!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:21 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post

Sorry, but I'll bet my kid's SAT scores and grades were a helluva lot better than Juan's. That's the whole point -- there were probably THOUSANDS of other applicants who had better qualifications but the place went to "the poor little disadvantaged illegal Mexican kid" because everyone knows that ALL whites are just so privileged.

But, that's OK. At some point, "Juan" is going to find out that in the real world NOT coddled by libs, one has to stand on his own two feet and not rely on sob stories to get favors. At that point, "Juan" will be begging my kid for a job.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Quote:
Last year, while applying to universities, Hernandez- Campos learned that there are universities and private foundations that award scholarships to distinguished students, regardless of their immigration status. He was accepted at 15 universities, seven 7 of which offered him full scholarships.

Illegal Immigrant Gets $50,000 Scholarship To Harvard

found this...

SUMMA *** LAUDE (4.0 - 4.2)
Christian Hernandez Edith Sandra Hernandez
Juan Hernandez-Campos

VALEDICTORIAN - 2008
Juan Hernandez-Campos

MAGNET SENIOR AWARDS NIGHT
APRIL 18, 2008

Last edited by ibarrio; 02-24-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Middle class? Do you know me? Do you think you know how I live?

My 12 year old son and I live on less than $14,000 a year. Last time I checked, that's below federal poverty level--$14,570 for a two person home. I am one of those single moms who had to go back to school in order to make a better life for my family. I am by no means priviledged enough to be called middle class. Maybe middle lower lower class....

But see, the difference between me and a goodly number of illegal immigrants is that I'm not busy having anchor babies to milk the system. I get no sort of assistance whatsoever, although I am eligible. That is NOT the example that I want to set for my son. In fact, most illegal aliens send more home to where ever in six months than I bring home in one year.

You should really get a handle on your information before you go spouting off nonsense about something of which you have no knowledge whatsoever...
Sucks to be you.

How does this have to do with a HARVARD STUDENT? This isn't some story about an immigrant moving in and having babies, it's about an intelligent student receiving a scholarship to Harvard. I'd rather we have 5,000 illegal immigrants studying at Ivy League schools than 100,000 uneducated white people who can trace their roots in the US back 200 years.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
He crawled under a fence and swam the Rio Grand, he's an illegal alien. That spot at Harvard belongs at the least to some worthy minority American student. What part of illegal don't you understand? What I do for a living is irrelevant and you don't know what the Hell you're talking about. Obviously you're a Pro-illegal alien sympathizer coddling criminal illegal aliens where ever you can find them. All illegal aliens are criminals only some are more criminal than others. S/0604/01/ldt.01.html"]http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.01.html[/url]
So you're saying that as a 9 year old, he should have stayed behind when his family came over? Then he'd be another one of those orphans on the streets who eventually become gangsters in the cartels. Yeah...that'd be a lot better.

I don't believe that a person's method of immigration matters all that much if they are a productive and beneficial member of society. Like I said before, I'd rather have a bunch of "illegals" smart enough to go to Harvard and receive scholarships (sorry, but you have to be very smart to get into Harvard, regardless of your skin color or other non-whitey features) than all of these bigots on these immigration boards who connect every problem to immigration when the cities with the most border traffic in the US tend to be quite safe like San Diego or El Paso. If immigration is such a crime, how come our most crime ridden areas are not those Immigrant neighborhoods, but those where the American-born people live?

I served this country in the Navy, and I continue to serve the public by volunteering with at-risk kids 6 days a week after I work at my legitimate career. The majority of the kids who have drug problems and who get into trouble are those with American parents who do not pay attention to them...not the kids who are fresh over the border and whose parents work hard as Janitors or Maids. Those kids see how hard their parents work (unlike many of the privledged Americans who have no work ethic) and they work even harder to make it out of a situation where they live in poverty.

But to me, the most insane part of this debate is the fact that THIS GUY IS A HARVARD STUDENT. I'm sorry, but any kid who is able to be accepted to Harvard and who can do well enough to receive a scholarship after his academic career begins is someone we want to keep in this country. The average American is pretty stupid, only about 25% even have a Bachelors and by definition, an average IQ is a pathetic 100. Having someone of his intelligence, regardless of how he originally got into the country, can only be a good thing for us as Americans.

Plus, the more money illegal immigrants send to their home countries, the fewer illegals we see coming over the border. Why send 5 members of the family when one can come over and send enough money for the people back home to buy a house and live a better life? This is what happens, they send money back home and keep more of their family and friends from coming here.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Sorry, but I'll bet my kid's SAT scores and grades were a helluva lot better than Juan's. That's the whole point -- there were probably THOUSANDS of other applicants who had better qualifications but the place went to "the poor little disadvantaged illegal Mexican kid" because everyone knows that ALL whites are just so privileged.

But, that's OK. At some point, "Juan" is going to find out that in the real world NOT coddled by libs, one has to stand on his own two feet and not rely on sob stories to get favors. At that point, "Juan" will be begging my kid for a job.
What were your kids' SAT scores, Grades, and Extracurricular activities?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Quote:

Yeah...Juan only graduated Valedictorian and got 7 full ride offers..

I'm sure your kid did much better then 7 full ride offers...

Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Sounds to me like somebody is jealous... especially considering they can't even spell the thread title correctly, LOL.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sounds to me like somebody is jealous... especially considering they can't even spell the thread title correctly, LOL.
Jealous? Are you SERIOUS? Why on earth would anyone be jealous? I mean a guy comes here illegally, lives here illegally, then takes a much sought-after slot in one of our most prestigious institutions of higher learning, and it's paid for, free and clear, by someone who admires his 'pluck'....and for THIS, you think someone's JEALOUS?

I think you're mistaken. Nobody's jealous...it's a refreshing example of SOMEBODY with enough "moxie" to, in essence, "flip off" the American public and get APPLAUDED for doing so. To watch those legal American "geeks" EAT THEIR HEARTS out, because THEY applied at Harvard, and were rejected. This story is the very ESSENCE of 'screwing the establishment'....and isn't that what we all LOVE?...I mean, REALLY? He fought the system, he 'spit in their eye', and he WON !! What's not to like?

This makes MOST of us no more "jealous" than if someone stole $100 from our billfold, was allowed by the police to KEEP it, took it to Las Vegas and turned it into $2000....and kept that, TOO. Why would anyone be 'jealous' of a guy like that? More power TO him, for being 'creative'.

Jealous? Not most of us....maybe a little concerned is all..

LAWS? Laws are made to be broken....(I mean they ARE...aren't they?)...

The STUDENT should be proud....the DONOR should be proud....and HARVARD should be proud. And if the rest of us are 'jealous', we should be ashamed.

Last edited by macmeal; 02-24-2009 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration