Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,481,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Money heals all wounds. That's why. Plus it's not so funny considering the general lack of understanding of the issues pertaining to how illegal immigration is relevant to third world exploitation.
You mean the general lack of understanding of YOUR OPINION of the issues pertaining to how illegal immigration is relevant to Third World exploitation. Combined with a general disinterest concerning YOUR OPINION on the matter. 'Third World exploitation' in no way justifies illegal immigration.

Last edited by andreabeth; 04-05-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
I didn't read all of the posts but I thought that I would point out something that should be obvious.
Anyone here legally can produce adequete ID, even if they need to send for replacement copies.
Those who are here illegally need not live in unsafe conditions. All they need do is turn themselves in for deportation and the issue is solved. Once again we are all responsible for our own actions and illegal immigration is no exception. This really is no crisis. There are options.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,912,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
You mean the general lack of understanding of YOUR OPINION of the issues pertaining to how illegal immigration is relevant to Third World exploitation. Combined with a general disinterest concerning YOUR OPINION on the matter.
No I don't mean that. I meant what I said.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Face it: if we (the USA) cut off all imports from Third World countries-----------it would hurt them much more than it would us.
Does it justify exploitation and the general neglect for workers rights and decent working conditions? Does it justify unfair trade? The farmer in Rwanda that grows your coffee makes significantly less than the middleman that sells it to Starbucks.

Yes, AZBear, the entire world should be grateful of Europeans and Americans showing blessing us with your infinite grace. Without it we all would be poor savages without a clue. We would not have a hard work ethic and be miserable.

Most of the profits from imports to America end up in America (the companies that produce things in other nations have significant amounts of investment from American corporations). So yes, the third world is in a financial hostage situation. If we continue to sell to the US that gives money at the price of killing local industries (see Jamaica's textile industry) and also gross neglect in the workplace (stay cheap to be competitive).

Because of these along with many other factors...the citizens of the global south come to Europe and America illegally. It's not because of any moral bankruptcy or lack of law. It becomes that the system that has been in place due to a history of colonial and neo-colonial exploits has essentially benefited the West and the elite of the global south. The common person has suffered due to this system. Thus, countries like Mexico and Brazil have a very small middle class population.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
Quote:
Does it justify exploitation and the general neglect for workers rights and decent working conditions? Does it justify unfair trade? The farmer in Rwanda that grows your coffee makes significantly less than the middleman that sells it to Starbucks.

Yes, AZBear, the entire world should be grateful of Europeans and Americans showing blessing us with your infinite grace. Without it we all would be poor savages without a clue. We would not have a hard work ethic and be miserable.

Most of the profits from imports to America end up in America (the companies that produce things in other nations have significant amounts of investment from American corporations). So yes, the third world is in a financial hostage situation. If we continue to sell to the US that gives money at the price of killing local industries (see Jamaica's textile industry) and also gross neglect in the workplace (stay cheap to be competitive).

Because of these along with many other factors...the citizens of the global south come to Europe and America illegally. It's not because of any moral bankruptcy or lack of law. It becomes that the system that has been in place due to a history of colonial and neo-colonial exploits has essentially benefited the West and the elite of the global south. The common person has suffered due to this system. Thus, countries like Mexico and Brazil have a very small middle class population.
Your attempts to guilt me are not working.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:49 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,288,490 times
He's not trying to "guilt" you, he's trying to give you an understanding and a knowledge of WHY certain problems exist...something you really lack.

Its okay if youre intimidated by something more complex and abstract outside of your usual "their culture is inferior" and "that country need to grow up!".

Old 04-06-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your attempts to guilt me are not working.
Why would I try to guilt you? You are a middle class American in Phoenix. If anything I'm equally as "guilty". Look, I see that you have no perspective on the why people move here. You only know that they do. Nobody has ever, nor ever, try to make you personally a guilty party.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:28 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,930,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
He's not trying to "guilt" you, he's trying to give you an understanding and a knowledge of WHY certain problems exist...something you really lack.

Its okay if youre intimidated by something more complex and abstract outside of your usual "their culture is inferior" and "that country need to grow up!".
You can try to spin all you want but the facts are still the facts. It still amazes me how far people will spin to make the illegals look special and good for us. Sheeesh!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,930,616 times
Quote:
Why would I try to guilt you? You are a middle class American in Phoenix. If anything I'm equally as "guilty". Look, I see that you have no perspective on the why people move here. You only know that they do. Nobody has ever, nor ever, try to make you personally a guilty party.
We are talking about illegals here. What about the word ILLEGALS do you not understand? We don't need any more criminals. We certainly have more than our share here now, including the damn idiot citizen criminals. Find something else to do with your time, other than trying to make excuses for illegal aliens and why the break our laws.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
We are talking about illegals here. What about the word ILLEGALS do you not understand? We don't need any more criminals. We certainly have more than our share here now, including the damn idiot citizen criminals. Find something else to do with your time, other than trying to make excuses for illegal aliens and why the break our laws.
Aren't illegal immigrants people? These are not excuses. These are simply commonly held views on the framework for immigration from the global south to the global north. You realize that laws are not sent by God. We can change them. A better perspective on the situation is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration