Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
35 million people in America speak Spanish as their primary language. There are another 45 million bilinguals speaking both English and Spanish. In Canada only 7 million people speak French as their primary language. Yet French is one of the official languages of Canada.

Based solely on the numbers it makes sense for Spanish to be our secondary official language in America. What would this possibly hurt. I don’t see any downside to this.
The population of the US is 307 million. Canada's population is 34 million. Using your numbers (I don't think it's as high as 35% spanish primary, but whatever), the percentages are extremely close: 8.5& for the USA and 5% for Canada.

One province of Canada is uniquely French, which is why French is their second language. The US does not have a state that is entirely spanish speaking...big difference.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 9,840 times
Default immigration numbers greatly increased

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9dhqo0LA8&feature=player_embedded

1,000,000 legal & 1,000,000 illegal immigrants are added to this country
per year now; that is many more than the usual in the history of this country.
These numbers should raise everyone's eyebrows; it's obviously out of control & bringing a lot of serious problems to this country & its citizens.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
35 million people in America speak Spanish as their primary language. There are another 45 million bilinguals speaking both English and Spanish. In Canada only 7 million people speak French as their primary language. Yet French is one of the official languages of Canada.

Based solely on the numbers it makes sense for Spanish to be our secondary official language in America. What would this possibly hurt. I don’t see any downside to this.
No and hell no!

In Quebec the French language has held sway since the beginning and the use of same is enforced at the expense of English. Besides: from time to time, Quebec wants to break away from Canada.

Till recently there few Spanish speakers in the USA so those here legally best learn proper English and assimilate as Americans or be sidelined at best.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The population of the US is 307 million. Canada's population is 34 million. Using your numbers (I don't think it's as high as 35% spanish primary, but whatever), the percentages are extremely close: 8.5& for the USA and 5% for Canada.

One province of Canada is uniquely French, which is why French is their second language. The US does not have a state that is entirely spanish speaking...big difference.
Excellent points!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Excellent points!
I meant to say 35 Million, not 35 percent (oops!). Anyway, deduct the 20 million illegal aliens and that leaves 15 million, which would markedly decrease the percentage of citizens who speak spanish as their first language.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
As a former Canuck from Canada can speak from my viewpoint.

Still have family in Ontario who in the past were not happy with the doings of those in Quebec.

Quebec at one time yrs back caused many large firms (businesses) to leave the province due to the demands placed on them from the French speaking people.

I personally new a person who immigrated from Hungary to Montreal and learned English. As a contractor he would put in bids for a construction job but would never get hired even with a low bid.
After a while someone told him to learn French and he would get some work. His answer was that he knew it was necessary to speak English in Canada and that if it was necessary to learn French he could immigrated to France. Anyway he eventually came to Calif where I met him (and we spoke in Hungarian)...thus the story.

The govmt in Ottawa catered to Quebec and gave in to the French speaking province and thus the DUAL language became about (a-boot).

Imagine if Calif with it's many Spanish people were to demand (slowly getting there) that the state be considered a DUAL language state LEGALLY...imagine what a mess things would be...future 3rd world state.

Steve

Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

True, no state is entirely Spanish speaking. But Calif and Texas are both at about 35% Spanish speaking. New Mexico is about 45%. Other states have lessor amounts. These significant minorities justify Spanish as a secondary official language.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
True, no state is entirely Spanish speaking. But Calif and Texas are both at about 35% Spanish speaking. New Mexico is about 45%. Other states have lessor amounts. These significant minorities justify Spanish as a secondary official language.
ROFLMAO! If our government tried that crap-------------things would hit the fan. Remember that hostility is growing against some aspects of Hispanic culture as it is----------in part the jabbering in Spanish of a bunch of insolent illegal aliens.

Besides: here in Arizona we are turnig the tide against the (mostly Hispanic) illegals. Trust me: the fallout of our victories is starting to spread to California.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Not when most of those pecentages are illegal aliens. We should establish Spanish as an official language due to the high percentages of illegal invaders who speak that language? Surely you jest! Besides isn't the claim that Hispanics do assimilate? One poster in here even claimed that by 3rd and 4th generation they hardly speak any Spanish. So tell us again why we should adopt Spanish as one of our official languages.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:07 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
ROFLMAO! If our government tried that crap-------------things would hit the fan. Remember that hostility is growing against some aspects of Hispanic culture as it is----------in part the jabbering in Spanish of a bunch of insolent illegal aliens.

Besides: here in Arizona we are turnig the tide against the (mostly Hispanic) illegals. Trust me: the fallout of our victories is starting to spread to California.
I dunno. Some parts of California embrace the illegals. They seem welcome in the central fresh produce regions. And part of LA (East LA and Santa Anna) seem to be teeming with illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration