Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times

Advertisements

Who is shakira, and why should I give any credence whatsoever to what she thinks?
I guess she is somebody famous? Oh, yeah, I saw her picture someplace. blonde, isn't she?
Oh, for the good old days when entertainers just entertained, and kept out of politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM

264 posts, read 457,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Who is shakira, and why should I give any credence whatsoever to what she thinks?
I guess she is somebody famous? Oh, yeah, I saw her picture someplace. blonde, isn't she?
Oh, for the good old days when entertainers just entertained, and kept out of politics.
Moreover, Shakira is a Colombian national who has NO BUSINESS debating U.S. immigration policy. I believe her latest stunt is nothing more than an attempt to energize her fan base in the U.S.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The fact remains that her opinion about the AZ bill makes no difference and she isn't even American. The fact remains that she is milking this for PR. The fact remains that she doesn't even return to her own country of origin because she doesn't think it's safe.

Her sobbing about victimization of hispanic women in AZ in relation to this law is out of touch with reality. Just like Shakira.
I think she could have a stand even if she is not American but obviously her PR agent thought more about the market segment and it seems it was the illegal market she chose

I agree that those sobbing stories were ridiculous. Many of the US citizens that disagree with this law are afraid of racial profiling not social services to illegals.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Who's Shakira?
Never heard of him/her.
Does Shakria have a PhD in some relevant field, which might make what he/she says valuable information?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,253 times
[quote=Fox Terrier;13975254]Who's Shakira?
Never heard of him/her.
Does Shakria have a PhD in some relevant field, which might make what he/she says valuable information?[/quote]

Wellll, nooo. <scratches head> Why would some pro illegal apologizer with an agenda think that any NON HISPANIC non pro illegal American citizen would care what someone who obviously wouldn't have read the new Arizona law and didn't know what it actually said had to say. Rumors and misinformation started by the radical left and the open borders lobby spread quickly in the tribally ethnocentric hispanic culture.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
What part of ILLEGAL does she not understand..."ilegal"..en espanol

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times
It's only human nature to care about such issues, and it makes sense that somebody with the power such as Shakira would want to address it somehow, but THIS ISN'T COLOMBIA. Let Americans run the show here, thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
I wonder if she's so angry that she'll cancel her concert stops in Phoenix and other cities in Arizona? I'll bet good money that she won't. "Concern" is usually outweighed by finances. Girl's gotta make money after all.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM

313 posts, read 344,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
"political and philanthropic adviser" - well, I guess she's so brilliant she needs someone to tell her what her politics are and isn't capable of figuring out for herself how to "give back".

Probably because this is the only way she knows how to "give back":

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/...10-Shakira.jpg

So when she met with the police, did she fling herself to the floor and writhe around like a cat in heat? I'm sure that would have been an effective tool in getting her point across.

I can't believe anyone would take this low-rent Charo seriously regarding US/AZ legislation.
I respect Shakira, who despite being rich and famous, went into disguise just so she could continue her education at UCLA.

Don't discount her as less smart because she's more attractive.

Your comments are trashy, and attack someone just for having a different political stance. But I honestly expected to find these kinds of comments on a thread about a supporter of human/immigrant rights.

You guys are like snarling wolves.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:45 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I wonder if she's so angry that she'll cancel her concert stops in Phoenix and other cities in Arizona? I'll bet good money that she won't. "Concern" is usually outweighed by finances. Girl's gotta make money after all.
Shakira, unlike Paul Rodriguez who cancelled shows in AZ, us quite famous and has no problem replacing concerts in other states.

I too have been following Shakira since the 90's before she moved to the US and now Bahamas. Why are people so judgemental about her being a Colombian? For all we know, she could have dual citizenship. She spent a gear number of years living in Miami.

Besides the charity work in Colombia, a week or so ago, she visited Haiti and promised to build a school for children, victims of the quake.

I agree with Princess, this is not about social services for illegal immigrants. This is about racial profiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration