Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM

25 posts, read 18,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
I wouldn't say that at all actually... I was arguing this point to Clarks in another thread. I have said before and I will say it again, they can ask me for ID anytime...anyplace they feel it necessary!
You seem a little angry... I know the feeling
I was reprimanded last night by a mod lol.
I don't think he seems angry at all. Probably a little frustrated because he approached the thread with a simple question to politely get an actual political discussion going. Instead, he received a bunch of snarky comments that danced around actually answering the question. It seems they are not confident enough to answer it, so they feel more comfortable attacking him.

I'd be annoyed, too.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:58 PM

25 posts, read 18,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I think you're the one missing something. Again (for the third time), I never stated I did know about it. Run along now.
But you don't seem confident enough to be stating anything at all on it, other than trying to flip it on him.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:58 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Under this law the police have a right to ask you for your id as long as there is "lawful contact" doesn't state anything about arrest. You asking a police for directions is lawful contact, you serving as a witness to a crime is lawful contact, you calling to report a crime is lawful contact. In none of those instances have you commited a crime, yet they can ask you for proof of citizenship. How is that not a violation of the 4th amendment. All they have to do is change the law and say "During the course of an arrest" Ill be fine with it.
When you are caught speeding where an arrest is not warranted are you saying that is another case where LE has no right to ask you for your DL/I.D.? That is what it would mean if the lingo was changed to "during the course of arrest".

Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
The constitution is meant to be a contract between the government and the CITIZENS of the United States. Not citizens of other countries who break our laws and our borders. It is disingenuous to use laws made to protect Citizens to circumvent deportation of law breakers.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
When you are caught speeding where an arrest is not warranted are you saying that is another case where LE has no right to ask you for your DL/I.D.? That is what it would mean if the lingo was changed to "during the course of arrest".
You have every right to ask for a DL, but to ask for proof of citizenship. No way man. Unless you have proof or reasonable cause that I'm not a citizen, I'm not obligated to prove it to you.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:03 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbender View Post
I don't think he seems angry at all. Probably a little frustrated because he approached the thread with a simple question to politely get an actual political discussion going. Instead, he received a bunch of snarky comments that danced around actually answering the question. It seems they are not confident enough to answer it, so they feel more comfortable attacking him.

I'd be annoyed, too.
A thread that starts with, "If you do, please explain it to me. Cutting and pasting does not qualify as understanding. Explain it to me in your own words...", and follow up with statements like "I'll take that as I don't understand it", "Understand now?", and "It's become apparent that many are completely unfamiliar with the bill of rights, particulary the 4th" does not come across as a simple question to politely get an actual political discussion going.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:07 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
But you don't seem confident enough to be stating anything at all on it, other than trying to flip it on him.
First and foremost, I was asking the question to Holdencaulfield or anyone else who could chime in with an answer because I was genuinely asking. If I already knew, why would I be asking anyone? I am confident enough to ask the question. I was not asking for dumb remarks back from tbender. Now you are doing exactly what you accused me of doing. Are you not confident enough to chime in with your own answer to my initial question?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Under this law the police have a right to ask you for your id as long as there is "lawful contact" doesn't state anything about arrest. You asking a police for directions is lawful contact, you serving as a witness to a crime is lawful contact, you calling to report a crime is lawful contact. In none of those instances have you commited a crime, yet they can ask you for proof of citizenship. How is that not a violation of the 4th amendment. All they have to do is change the law and to state that they will check for citizenship after they have been arrested and charged with a crime. I'll be fine with that.
I could agree with you there.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:13 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,816 times
Quote:

I'd be annoyed, too.
frustration...anger... I get it, I was there last night. got reprimanded by a mod

Old 05-07-2010, 04:14 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
You're trying to flip it. He asked first, and you replied without answering. Instead, you're trying to get him to tell you. If you don't know, it's okay. Just say so.

4 posts, straight to the illegal immigration? Have you been banned.\>\?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration