Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Arizona refuse to honor MLK as a holiday. LMFAO. Bad example.

What are his own people? MLK fought for civil rights for ALL people.
MLK did great things for people, but so did others. So what if they didn't want it as a holiday. His own people meaning Americans. He fought for rights of all AMERICANS. And we HAVE rights. If THEY want our rights, then do it LEGALLY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
When you go to Canada, you are crossing national borders. That is a whole lot different than a person just walking down the street or driving their car.
They are not grabbing people off of the streets, or driving in a car. So what are you talking about??

Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
MLK did great things for people, but so did others. So what if they didn't want it as a holiday. His own people meaning Americans. He fought for rights of all AMERICANS. And we HAVE rights. If THEY want our rights, then do it LEGALLY!!!
MLK fought for the rights of the Vietnamese as well. Are the people in Vietnam American? Not sure if you new this but he was anti Vietnam war, stating that it was an unjust war against the Vietnamese people.

indeed

Old 05-18-2010, 03:33 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
sigh---why not just offer work visas to those that want to be here to do those jobs most americans r NOT wanting to do----in earlier years i was involved in a racial profiling incident(picture an old white woman in a car full of african american women of various ages being pulled over and having to step out of the car at gunpoint cause the yahoo cop was looking for some older african american----no apoligies--this WILL happen and police may even cause harm to innocent people----most latinos r here to work---so start there

Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
sigh---why not just offer work visas to those that want to be here to do those jobs most americans r NOT wanting to do----in earlier years i was involved in a racial profiling incident(picture an old white woman in a car full of african american women of various ages being pulled over and having to step out of the car at gunpoint cause the yahoo cop was looking for some older african american----no apoligies--this WILL happen and police may even cause harm to innocent people----most latinos r here to work---so start there
What jobs are illegals doing that Americans won’t do for a decent wage?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
What jobs are illegals doing that Americans won’t do for a decent wage?
The crickets are chirping

Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Excuse me for asking...but I seriously don't get it.

A lot of people from both sides of the political spectrum have been telling me that the new Arizona bill is hatred towards Mexicans.

How so? They HAD to pass it because of the problems that the illegals were creating for their state. We all see how California went because of these issues. Where does it say it is aimed towards Mexicans in particular?

The governor of Arizona said there would be no racial profiling. It is illegal. Seriously, I don't get why Mexicans and Hispanics are so offended. Instead of whining that we are oh so horrible and having Shakira cry her eyes out, why don't they just admit that most illegals are Mexican and Hispanic and take care of it? Take action against the illegals so your group can improve its image instead of crying that the USA is so evil.

Sorry guys. I am usually liberal on most things but illegal immigration is just something I cannot support. If you break a law, you are a criminal. Simple as that. If we let the illegal Mexicans in because they want a better life too, why stop there? Why not let all of China and India and Russia come here too? Where is the limit?

So why not just admit that your racial group has created an problem and try to resolve it instead of screaming that Americans are racist. I am FOR the Arizona bill and I am not racist in the least. I don't care about the race. The bottom line is they broke the law. The law is law regardless of your race.

It is a slap in the face to people who have come legally and waited and LEARNED ENGLISH. That is what America is about. Coming here LEGALLY and working hard and earning your success for a better life. Not coming here and living off welfare and free health care and then whining that we're racist bastards.

Sorry for the rant but just...agh....
And i must say, i don't always agree with you, but on this subject, we most certainly do. This is such a slap in the face to those people who have come here legally, and sacrificed, to become American Citizens. My ancestors came to this Country from Spain and Italay, many moons ago, but did it right, and by gosh, first thing they did, was learn the AMERICAN LANGUAGE, Both sides spoke English first to their children, then the other language. They worked long and hard, to make a good living for their children. Were able to save and my Father had such a good education, went to college, because of his Parents hard work, they did not come to this Country, with expectations, of wanting things for nothing, they believe in hard work, and that hard work does pay off, cannot say this for those illegals, who make a mockary of our Country, commit crimes, have an abundance of children in our Country, and the list go's on. Such a slap in the face, to all those who have become American Citizens, but the right way. Americans stop being stupid and ignorant, on this subject has nothing at all to do with racial profiling, and everything to do, with those People who seem to want it all from our Country, but are here illegally.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
MLK fought for the rights of the Vietnamese as well. Are the people in Vietnam American? Not sure if you new this but he was anti Vietnam war, stating that it was an unjust war against the Vietnamese people.

indeed
Blah blah blah. I shouldn't have responed to your comment about MLK, since he has nothing to do with this. What I should have said was this has nothing to do with race or taking away people's rights. Not one single person's rights are being "taken away". It's about a law that is to enforce an already existing law. That's it and that's all. No one is being treated unfairly, except for maybe the U.S. citizens.....It's sad that AZ even HAS to do this.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Blah blah blah. I shouldn't have responed to your comment about MLK, since he has nothing to do with this. What I should have said was this has nothing to do with race or taking away people's rights. Not one single person's rights are being "taken away". It's about a law that is to enforce an already existing law. That's it and that's all. No one is being treated unfairly, except for maybe the U.S. citizens. ....It's sad that AZ even HAS to do this.
Could've would've should've, blah blah blah indeed. Yes, who cares if US citizens are presumed guilty until proven innocent. What's the big deal. 4th amendment is overated anyways.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's a bass-ackwards approach, much like trying to use a band aid to stop a hemorrhage. If there are employers willing to employ undocumented workers, they are going to keep coming. Trying to empty an ocean using a teaspoon is ridiculous, go after the employers, and enforce the existing laws regarding employment eligibility.
Employers aren't immigration officials. They shouldn't be treated as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration