Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Thats an easy one. It's no longer about exonerating the agent involved, but political grandstanding by the president of Mexico declaring guilt and trashing our country before anything is concluded. Someone will pay, and I fear the agent will be the political sacrifice. Read this article :http://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...ties-ariz.html Calderon is making outrageous claims against BP agents, in that article he called the illegal immigrants death "torture and killing".
I don't think it's so easy. Would you honestly rather live in a country where there is no recourse for investigation of or justification for use of force by law enforcement? Sounds like Iran to me.

Words from Calderon are not going to hurt anyone. Do you think America can't survive that? It doesn't matter what he says.

Just do the freaking investigation, do it fairly, and put the results out there. If the guy acted fairly, then fine. If he acted unfairly - even in the case of a Mexican - then we should have the guts to stand up to that fact and demand better. It is an isolated incident, and it does not mean that America cannot continue to pursue policies to curb illegal immigration.

It's always amusing to me when Americans who supposedly "love freedom" suddenly have an aversion to letting the process work and the truth to be publicized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:51 PM

358 posts, read 395,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I don't think it's so easy. Would you honestly rather live in a country where there is no recourse for investigation of or justification for use of force by law enforcement? Sounds like Iran to me.

Words from Calderon are not going to hurt anyone. Do you think America can't survive that? It doesn't matter what he says.

Just do the freaking investigation, do it fairly, and put the results out there. If the guy acted fairly, then fine. If he acted unfairly - even in the case of a Mexican - then we should have the guts to stand up to that fact and demand better. It is an isolated incident, and it does not mean that America cannot continue to pursue policies to curb illegal immigration.

It's always amusing to me when Americans who supposedly "love freedom" suddenly have an aversion to letting the process work and the truth to be publicized.
I was only relaying the fears I would have with this investigation, since the agents guilt was already decided on the Mexican side. But despite that I still have no problem with an investigation. If you looked at the other article it's apparent what Mexico's stance is on U.S. BP agents, and do you think the Obama administration will dismiss Calderons views? I think not.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I don't see why properly investigating the circumstances of this teen's death is such an inappropriate thing to do. If the agent acted responsibly under the circumstances, then let the investigation conclude that this was the case. This is standard procedure in many cases where a police officer fires shots in self defense. What is everyone so afraid of?
I suppose with the death rate as high as it is in Juarez, there might as well be an investigation of one death. They might as well decide this one's important because they sure haven't decided any of the others were.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It remains to be seen if the victim 1) crossed into the US and 2) threw rocks. Some witnesses from the bridge say he was not the rock thrower and was not on the US side.
oh, I am sure there are some who will defend him, the fact remains, even if he wasn't throwing them he was part of the group that was, he was trying to enter the country illegally and he was told to stop. If he was a 10 or 12 year old kid I would feel a lot sorrying for him but 15 is pretty close to adulthood, especially if the life you have led so far hasn't been the most stable one, which I would assume was the case.

As for investigating the case, I see nothing wrong with an investigation if it is done because the border patrol calls for it, but not if it is being done to satisfy the Pres of Mexico that sees nothing wrong with people entering our country legally or otherwise, but don't let people from our country try to enter Mexcio illegally.

Nita

Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 AM

563 posts, read 518,876 times
Didn't you all get the Memo....It is UNAmerican to be American anymore!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 AM

563 posts, read 518,876 times
We are too worried that we may offend a group or a person or whatever.........so Obama, get ready to appologize to everyone for this........To everyone who is afraid to do something because Cubans or Mexicans may take offense and cry I have this to say --

Moderator cut: please calm down

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2010 at 02:40 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
Didn't you all get the Memo....It is UNAmerican to be American anymore!!!

I don't know what America you live in, but in mine it's not American to gun down a 14 year old for throwing rocks.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 AM

364 posts, read 244,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I don't know what America you live in, but in mine it's not American to gun down a 14 year old for throwing rocks.
rocks can kill
i wil protect myself
if someone is tryin to kill me
if it meaans shootin tha perp
to stop tha rocks
i dont care how old tha kid is
oh well

Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Do you know what happens when a rock meets your face? If it was your face you might want to change your mind. It's still an assault with a deadly weapon, as in will kill you.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do you know what happens when a rock meets your face? If it was your face you might want to change your mind. It's still an assault with a deadly weapon, as in will kill you.

Yeah, lets shoot all those "dangerous" rock throwers.

Tell me, if your 14 year old neighbor threw a rock at you...would you gun him down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration