Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
This thread was about some downstaters complaining about Chicago, not the reverse. As to power needs, the Chicago area would probably buy electric power from NIPSCO in IN or try to re-open the Zion nuclear power plant or something. But the Chicago region would be able to buy power from somewhere.
From what I have seen from looking at major the power plants in Illinois so far, Northern Illinois would not have to buy any power from anywhere else if it was cut off from Southern Illinois.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-11-2008 at 11:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 AM

269 posts, read 1,100,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You are very wrong. See my post.
If Chicagoland has so much in the way of power, why on earth do three central Illinois plants send large quanities of power, 24/7 to Chicago? You seem to imply that there is a MASSIVE excess amount just floating around that could make the difference if Chicago wasn't dependent on these three, and the others that scatter different parts of the state. I'm not saying that Chicago would go dark the minute that downstate plants cut them off. It is an alpha world city, and the economic strength of the midwest, so it would have to come from somewhere. I'm am just trying to show you that Chicago is in many ways, still dependent on downstate for a few things. Like I have said before, it isn't Peoria that is looking for more economic prosperity from big western suburban areas. In fact, Peoria doesn't pay much respect to suburban cities, and along with Blomington, have developed a steady and stable economy that will go well into future decades. But we are seeing a much greater interest in downstate activity from Chicagoland, then we ever have seen before. I personally believe that places like Aurora have been shunned for so long by their Chicagoland neighbors that they now look towards the south to secure its economic future and stability. To be honest with you though, knowing Peoria the way I do, I don't think they will bite. At least not yet. When they do, it will be on their terms though, not western Chicagoland.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
If Chicagoland has so much in the way of power, why on earth do three central Illinois plants send large quanities of power, 24/7 to Chicago? You seem to imply that there is a MASSIVE excess amount just floating around that could make the difference if Chicago wasn't dependent on these three...
Which plants are those and where are they located?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The whole premise is asinine anyway since power is delivered on a national grid that has no interest in state borders.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The whole premise is asinine anyway since power is delivered on a national grid that has no interest in state borders.
Of course you are right.

I am argueing about a hypothical and very improbable scenario to begin with.

Maybe this thread is way overdue to be locked also...

Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
I was gonna say, why are we talking about this? Who cares what state the actual power plants are located in, the power is run by the electrical companies.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:25 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,085 times
Quote:
I agree. The whole concept of Illinois splitting into two seperate areas is asinine to begin with.

I don't care if power is put onto a national grid before being delivered to the different areas. I know for a fact that the two plants in Pekin and Bartonville were built for the sole purpose of giving power to Chicago. Sure, they do give some power to their respective cities, but most goes to Chicago.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:11 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Yes sure, but why would private energy companies stop selling electricity to Chicago if the state split in half???

Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Seems like Northern Illinois is more commercial and tourism, and southern Illinois is more farmland and small town, from what I understand. As a nation, you need both, but I'm not sure about as a state. Seems like it'd be best just to leave them together. North and south Illinois depend on each other I'm sure.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 PM

68 posts, read 300,230 times
Default Titles for Dividing the state in two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

But as to your suggestion, if taken to heart we would have to come up with new names. The south would be called Arkansas North (or Baja Iowa or the Commonwealth of Peoria) and the northern portion of IL could be called Western Ohio.

How about Chicagoland and "Billy-land"???

I DO think the one thing we ALL have to agree on is how Blago needs to be kicked-out NOW in a recall election, just like they did to Grey Davis in Californicalia.

Faithfully,

G.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois