Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Well I've lived in IL twice and your wrong about wages I know for a fact.
Unless you've seen the data and can cite it, please don't say overgeneralizing things like "you're wrong" and "I know for a fact". Not everyone's experience is the same as yours. These things vary greatly from person to person, job to job, and career to career. Teachers, for example, make almost twice as much in Chicago as they do in Oklahoma. I make probably 30% more in my field in Chicago than I did in Oklahoma. My housing probably costs twice as much here as it did there, but it's worth every penny to not be around the Bible Belt mentality anymore, for me. We all have different preferences, and fortunately we live in a country that has a variety of options for living. Personally, I know quite a few OU and OSU grads who have left Oklahoma (including several in Chicago) and don't plan to go back anytime soon if ever.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times
Bye !!!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Well I've lived in IL twice and your wrong about wages I know for a fact............. The trademen you have talked to are not the norm I am sure.
I was in one of the building trades for 35 years Sis and I believe I have a better grasp on wages and conditions in the trades around the country than you. Tradespeople from all over the country boomed to Illinois for the high wages and good conditions; the only guys I never saw boom into our local were those from NYC.

Now I don't know about how desk people are paid around the country, you might have me there.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM

389 posts, read 920,759 times
U never mentioned where you live,

Chicagoland (Northeast Illinois) is different from the rest of the state. I heard of more people who are fed up with Cook county and move to neighboring counties like Dupage or Will where taxes and gas prices are little lower, rather than move to another state. Northwest Illinois different from Central Illinois,its beautiful with lots of forests, lakes and hills. It has Chestnut Mountain where u can ski in winter.

I moved last year from Illinois to Iowa but after 1 year I came back. I moved to DBQ which is in northeast IA. I did not like the town but the state itself wasn't too bad. It has some pockets of places u can enjoy like Iowa City but the towns were way spread out too far from me. It took 1 hour from DB to QDC, 1.5 to IC, CR or Madison in WI. There wasn't much there to do and on weekends I was coming back to Chicago.
The government in Des Moines is definitely more efficient than Springfield, even though state income structure and car license registration is little more complicated. U can see even if for yourself when u visit their websites. Iowa.gov is more updated than Illinois.gov and easier to navigate. I ordered by mail my driving record, sent it with check and they sent it back to my house in less than 2 weeks. I did the same with Illinois, followed their instructions and its been 5 weeks and still haven't received anything from them yet. They did cash my check in 2 weeks though! They know how to cash on you but not how to serve you.

As for people, being myself Polish immigrant, people here in Chicagoland are definitely friendlier in attitude to foreigners than people in Iowa. Though I lived in pretty small hick town so it may not be the whole Iowa.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
3rd Sales tax is lower than Chicagoland and Cigarettes/gasoline and everything in general is cheaper in Indiana.
Including wages. Which is why so many of you Hoosier buggers like to work in Illinois; to get higher wages and be covered by Illinois unemployment and workman's comp.

Socially Indiana isn't part of Midwest but is an extension of the Deep South extending north of the Ohio.

Last edited by linicx; 08-14-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Including wages. Which is why so many of you Hoosier buggers like to work in Illinois; to get higher wages and be covered by Illinois unemployment and workman's comp.

Socially Indiana isn't part of Midwest but is an extension of the Deep South extending north of the Ohio.
Its the same with the some of the people living south of I-80 in Illinois that I have known.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Its the same with the some of the people living south of I-80 in Illinois that I have known.
Illinois north of the Shelbyville Moraine was settled mostly by New Englanders and New Yorkers who brought to Illinois the New England virtues of fair play, justice, hard work and enterprise. Like many a Chicagoan I rib people from Will and Grundy and south of I-80 as being Hillbillys but I know they're not (well there are the Yellowhammers out by Wilmington).

South of the Shelbyville Moraine Illinois was settled mostly by southerners; Kentuckians, Tennesseans and Virginians mainly. For various reasons in the mid 19th Century Indiana was largely bypassed by the wave of New England pioneers who made Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin civilized states and was settled far more by southerners, as is apparent.

I live in Chicago and I'm proud of Illinois history, culture and accomplishments. As our nation declines in power and wealth some of the poorer and more servile states may seem to have an advantage but we're still smart and harder working here, we'll see how it goes.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Quote:
I'd say that's true to an extent of Southern Indiana as it is with Southern Illinois and Southern Ohio. Northern Indiana is clearly part of the Great Lakes / Rustbelt, culturally.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Northern Indiana is clearly part of the Great Lakes / Rustbelt, culturally.
I think only around the rim of Lake Michigan. And in Illinois the values of the New Englanders spread south, in Indiana the values of the southerners spread north.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Illinois north of the Shelbyville Moraine was settled mostly by New Englanders and New Yorkers [...]

South of the Shelbyville Moraine Illinois was settled mostly by southerners [...]
By who was Iowa settled? Dutch mostly? Some river towns there seem to have architecture, especially German but Iowa as whole seem to me culturally bland. Its hard to enjoy some things like sports unless you go out of the state borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois