Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 09:04 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times

Advertisements

Sunbiz1,

The beauty of working out at home: You can NOT find an excuse to NOT workout!!!

Definitely keep up the cardio. So many people forget how important it is to exercise what we DON'T see: The heart and lungs. And it helps control potential diabetes..... Forgive me, I don't mean to speak as if you do not know this already.

I just want to congratulate you on keeping up the cardio, as well as to encourage others to do so!

You know a karateka that participated in 3 different weight classes! THAT is something I do not hear too often!!

I am a Tae Kwon Doist, but I enjoy talking with karateka, since Tae Kwon Do has been highly influenced by Karate ( I never bring this up with Koreans, due to their potential cultural/familial issues with the Japanese).

Last summer I trained at Gen-Ki Karate on Milwaukee Avenue in the Jefferson Park neighborhood. I went there in summer to pay my respects to the Sensei, Mr. Weiss. And WHAT did he do?: Invited me to come onto the mat in my summer clothes and train with his students! And I was on my bicycle, so afterwards my cool down was a bicycle ride back to my hotel in Niles.

I was honored because the Sensei said he has trained with countless people over the years, and that I am a "very good practitioner." That WAS an honor to hear!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:57 AM

85 posts, read 71,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Sunbiz1,

The beauty of working out at home: You can NOT find an excuse to NOT workout!!!

Definitely keep up the cardio. So many people forget how important it is to exercise what we DON'T see: The heart and lungs. And it helps control potential diabetes..... Forgive me, I don't mean to speak as if you do not know this already.

I just want to congratulate you on keeping up the cardio, as well as to encourage others to do so!

You know a karateka that participated in 3 different weight classes! THAT is something I do not hear too often!!

I am a Tae Kwon Doist, but I enjoy talking with karateka, since Tae Kwon Do has been highly influenced by Karate ( I never bring this up with Koreans, due to their potential cultural/familial issues with the Japanese).

Last summer I trained at Gen-Ki Karate on Milwaukee Avenue in the Jefferson Park neighborhood. I went there in summer to pay my respects to the Sensei, Mr. Weiss. And WHAT did he do?: Invited me to come onto the mat in my summer clothes and train with his students! And I was on my bicycle, so afterwards my cool down was a bicycle ride back to my hotel in Niles.

I was honored because the Sensei said he has trained with countless people over the years, and that I am a "very good practitioner." That WAS an honor to hear!
Working out is all but required in a remote work situation to maintain sanity IMHO. I was formerly a pretty fanatical CrossFit guy who was in the box 5-6 times a week. I was initially concerned that without the camaraderie of classes that I would fall off the wagon. Fortunately my box transitioned to zoom. They have since gone back to in person classes and ditched zoom and I have started "attending" online CrossFit classes via YouTube live streams and Zoom from a variety of different boxes around the US. The benefit here is that the classes are totally free (instead of 160 bucks a month) and I get to do them from my basement. For the last couple of weeks I have been doing my WODs from a CrossFit box out in San Diego. I even did some classes at CrossFit box in the UK for a couple of weeks not long ago, which was an awesome change of pace. I have been throwing the boxes that host these classes a donation or two since I am getting their coaching for free.

The bad part is I had to spend a pretty good chunk of coin on some of the essential pieces of equipment (kettle bells, wall ball, barbell and bumper weights, etc). I am even considering putting a full rig down in the basement at this point, if my wife does not put up too much of a fight. That is just the kind of dude I am. When I am into something I tend to take it to extremes.

There is an actual in person CrossFit box not terribly far from me in Elkhorn, Wi, but I am not so sure I am going to start attending. I am really digging doing the online thing.

Last edited by RemoteInWisco; 04-01-2021 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-01-2021, 10:11 AM

RemoteInWisco, good morning,

The most important thing that you mentioned (and it comes out very clear in a couple of your points); You are enjoying your workouts! And that is the formula to continue doing them!! So keep up the phenomenal work!

You did NOT waste any money on that equipment, because that equipment is what is going to help you stay enjoying your diversity of workouts on days that you do NOT want to do those on-line workouts!

I have family in Elkhorn, but I do not make it that way often. I think I drove through it one day last year en route to meet up with an on-line date, in Lake Geneva.

If you ever come to Milwaukee, let me know, I'll get you in one of my Tae Kwon Do classes. Even MORE cross-fit workout for you!

Old 04-01-2021, 10:58 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:

The most important thing that you mentioned (and it comes out very clear in a couple of your points); You are enjoying your workouts! And that is the formula to continue doing them!! So keep up the phenomenal work!

You did NOT waste any money on that equipment, because that equipment is what is going to help you stay enjoying your diversity of workouts on days that you do NOT want to do those on-line workouts!

I have family in Elkhorn, but I do not make it that way often. I think I drove through it one day last year en route to meet up with an on-line date, in Lake Geneva.

If you ever come to Milwaukee, let me know, I'll get you in one of my Tae Kwon Do classes. Even MORE cross-fit workout for you!
Time to start a new thread 'Fed up with working out and giving up'

Old 04-01-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the motivation, Master Jay! all help appreciated.

Elkhorn is what most people around here consider "going into town". So buying groceries, retail shopping, etc. Whitewater is relatively close also, but Elkhorn has a few more options. The LaGrange general store is the only thing close, but their selection of items is about on par with a 7-11 and caters mostly to the Lauderdale Lakes vacationer crowd.

Oh, and challenge accepted next time I am in Milwaukee.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:39 AM

RemoteInWisco,

Oh you definitely GOT your workouts in order, I can tell. That is awesome!

Now help me understand, are you closer to Elkhorn or Lake Geneva?.... I remember the big town square in Elkhorn, with St. Patrick church.

And yes, Mondays and Wednesday nights I teach Tae Kwon Do in Milwaukee. If you come in any other time, I will be your tour guide. Unless I, myself, am enjoying all the fun in ILLINOIS!!!

Old 04-01-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
RemoteInWisco,

Oh you definitely GOT your workouts in order, I can tell. That is awesome!

Now help me understand, are you closer to Elkhorn or Lake Geneva?.... I remember the big town square in Elkhorn, with St. Patrick church.

And yes, Mondays and Wednesday nights I teach Tae Kwon Do in Milwaukee. If you come in any other time, I will be your tour guide. Unless I, myself, am enjoying all the fun in ILLINOIS!!!
Right, so I am North of Elkhorn off route 12 and Lake Geneva is South of Elkhorn. Lake Geneva is not one of my favorite places. Yes, it's pretty, but it's also ultra touristy, overpriced and completely overrun 3 months out of every year. There are many lakes up here just as gorgeous that are not inundated with vultures every summer like Lake Geneva and Delavan are. My 2 cents.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:10 PM

RemoteInWIsco, I had to look up your area on the map. The closest connecting highway between our areas, I think (I already closed up my map) would be either Hwy 36 or Hwy 43, I assume.

One place, SOMEWHAT near you that I would love to get over to, is Prime Quarters near Janesville. We used to have 2 of those in the Milwaukee area, some years ago, and they were THE BOMB!!!!

Old 04-01-2021, 12:12 PM

jasperhobbs, I HOPE you are keeping up with your good fitness goals!!!!

Take care. Stay happy, healthy, and safe!

Old 04-01-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
RemoteInWIsco, I had to look up your area on the map. The closest connecting highway between our areas, I think (I already closed up my map) would be either Hwy 36 or Hwy 43, I assume.

One place, SOMEWHAT near you that I would love to get over to, is Prime Quarters near Janesville. We used to have 2 of those in the Milwaukee area, some years ago, and they were THE BOMB!!!!
Never had the pleasure, but after Googling the restaurant, it sounds like it would be right up my alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois