Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,557,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Same. I am surprised they haven't figured out a way to keep Republicans from even voting in this state. At our polling place, they were handing out Democrat flyers with all their people on them so the lemmings would know who to follow off the cliff.
This happens all the time in Evanston. I've seen the local Democrats have pizza delivered to the poll workers. It's unbelievable.

Robyn Gabel was standing at the entrance of my polling place earlier this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Same. I am surprised they haven't figured out a way to keep Republicans from even voting in this state.
It's simple. The Republicans end up leaving the state. So the more the Democrats F' up and make the middle class miserable the more entrenched the Dems become. It is a vicious cycle.

I watch this and think people, the Dems have destroyed the state, are taxing working families out of their homes to pay for their own malfeasance. What do the Dems need to do to you to make you stop voting for them?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,411,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It's simple. The Republicans end up leaving the state. So the more the Democrats F' up and make the middle class miserable the more entrenched the Dems become. It is a vicious cycle.

I watch this and think people, the Dems have destroyed the state, are taxing working families out of their homes to pay for their own malfeasance. What do the Dems need to do to you to make you stop voting for them?
1) You'd really be able to be taken more seriously if your complaints didn't sound like they came from a 9th grader.

2) There are *plenty* of conservatives across Illinois (see e.g., the collar counties of Chicagoland) and plenty of people willing to vote Republican across Illinois (see e.g., the election map for Rauner v. Quinn), but:

3) Republican candidates in Illinois are typically worthless: jelly-spined (like Rauner); strongly socially conservative (like Brady, which doesn't play well especially in this day and age and in a more progressive state like Illinois); or actual dumpster fires (when you can't even muster a legitimate fiscal conservative and instead put a Nazi like Jones on the ballot, your party is legitimately compromised)

Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Yes there are still a lot of conservatives outside the major metro areas but Chicago, they would vote for a Democrat on video murdering someone before voting for a Republican. Hence why many times the Republicans don't even run someone for office in Cook county. It is a waste of money and effort.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:28 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,186,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I think we got a little out into the weeds with this Russia investigation thing. I merely opined that I didn't think that investigation should have happened. So I was defending that point and we kind of went down the rabbit hole. It's definitely an interesting topic, and one that you and I could probably debate for some time. I am very curious to see what Mueller has to say after the election on what he found.

But for purposes of this thread, I think the Pritzker race discrimination case is similar to the Kavanaugh situation. I think you and I agree in that it is a serious issue. Where we may differ is that I think it touches on his fitness for office, so I feel there should be an investigation and a hearing prior to the election so the voters have the information, just like Senate got with Judge Kavanaugh
I think it touches on fitness for office as well. That said, nothing currently exists as a justification to delay an election, whereas there's plenty of precedent to have hearings to investigate appointed officials like in the Kavanaugh case. In most other states, this sort of thing would hurt Pritzker the polls, but it won't here too much it seems. I think further bipartisan solutions are needed to get things like that investigated though, so 1) there aren't false accusations and 2) if there's legit accusations, regardless of who the AG or authoritative figure is on the matter, must investigate in a timely fashion.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:05 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I think it touches on fitness for office as well. That said, nothing currently exists as a justification to delay an election, whereas there's plenty of precedent to have hearings to investigate appointed officials like in the Kavanaugh case. In most other states, this sort of thing would hurt Pritzker the polls, but it won't here too much it seems. I think further bipartisan solutions are needed to get things like that investigated though, so 1) there aren't false accusations and 2) if there's legit accusations, regardless of who the AG or authoritative figure is on the matter, must investigate in a timely fashion.
Yeah I was only talking about what should happen. Not what will. In reality the election will proceed. The discrimination lawsuit will get quietly settled in 6 months to a year and there might be a page 5 story on it. But it just seems hypocritical to me that the media and Democrats don't seem to want to dig into this, one way or another. I can only hope that the voters think about it.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
The latest political ad, which depicts the "marriage" of Pritzker and Madigan, almost makes me sympathetic to Pritzker. Remember I said "almost." it won't win the candidate defending his office any favors with the LGBT community. I guess the closer the election gets, the dirtier the campaigns get.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:16 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
I believe the way to equality is opportunity. If that makes any sense. I don't think JB is the answer in that regard.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:57 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The latest political ad, which depicts the "marriage" of Pritzker and Madigan, almost makes me sympathetic to Pritzker. Remember I said "almost." it won't win the candidate defending his office any favors with the LGBT community. I guess the closer the election gets, the dirtier the campaigns get.
The Rauners are pretty well regarded in the open-minded LGBT community. They have a long record of involvement in LGBT-oriented philanthropy, and the Governor has been very sympathetic to the legislative agendas of groups that describe themselves as aligned with the community. His record is irreproachable. That being said, Mark Kirk's was too.....

Old 10-26-2018, 06:57 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The Rauners are pretty well regarded in the open-minded LGBT community. They have a long record of involvement in LGBT-oriented philanthropy, and the Governor has been very sympathetic to the legislative agendas of groups that describe themselves as aligned with the community. His record is irreproachable. That being said, Mark Kirk's was too.....
Rauner is very liberal on social issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois