Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
A lot of people are in this boat. Definitely shows the state of Illinois needs to lower its property tax burden, starting with getting rid of that God awful unconstitutional local property tax funded educational system we have.
Not to mention consolidate those 852 school districts each with their 6 figure administrators with fat pensions.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
A lot of people are in this boat. Definitely shows the state of Illinois needs to lower its property tax burden, starting with getting rid of that God awful unconstitutional local property tax funded educational system we have.
So you *really* want the State of IL running and centrally funding the schools(?) Seems to go against the mass rambling in many C-D threads against the state government having the slightest clue how to properly manage anything.

I will pass on that, thank you very much. Let my local people manage our schools and properly fund them.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
"But, but but.... but TRUMP!"

Right, you'd undoubtedly become a Trump supporter if he were to propose a tax reduction plan of that magnitude. Spare us.
Orange Man Bad is the only argument they have most of the time.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:09 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
So you *really* want the State of IL running and centrally funding the schools(?) Seems to go against the mass rambling in many C-D threads against the state government having the slightest clue how to properly manage anything.

I will pass on that, thank you very much. Let my local people manage our schools and properly fund them.
There's a balance. Total centralized control isn't the answer, but the current system is inefficient and only serves to enrich political hacks and cronies.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:15 AM

629 posts, read 543,318 times
I just love how the idiot democrats are willing to change the constitution to increase taxes but not fix the pension problem... nor are they even willing to discuss taxing retirement income... just classic stuff right here

Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
There's a balance. Total centralized control isn't the answer, but the current system is inefficient and only serves to enrich political hacks and cronies.
Let us know how you would suggest funds and services be distributed.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:47 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
I don't know how anyone can deny we need both increased revenue and to control spending, particularly with pensions. Pritzker wants to open the constitution to amend the income tax, which I favor, but won't even consider removing the provision that freezes pensions in place.

So far, his term is starting off like I expected. He agrees in theory we need an infrastructure program. He throws a one time pile of cash at education and a few other programs. He talks about how we'll be rolling in cash, someday, if we expand gambling, legalize recreational marijuana and switch to a progressive income tax. There isn't a word spoken about reforming pensions. In fact, he just continues the current crisis by extending the payment schedule again, and borrowing money to make current payments.

It's instructive to compare him with Michigan's new Democratic governor, who seems to be capable of actual leadership. She's proposing to nearly triple the gas tax to pay for an infrastructure program. She's laid out a specific funding plan to increase education spending in key areas. Imagine that, specific goals and specific plans to get there.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
does anyone actually expect a guy, who has never had to worry about rent, car payments, food for his family, or, even have to balance a check book to even have a clue on how to exercise fiscal restraint?

Its hilarious that folks elect a spoiled rich brat, and then expect him to actually care, be concerned, or even give a damn about the regular folks who elected him?

Multi millionaire morons, like the one running the state, AND the one running the country are never the solution to what ails us, yet, for some reason, we keep electing these d- bags to office, over and over again...

Old 03-12-2019, 01:07 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I don't know how anyone can deny we need both increased revenue and to control spending, particularly with pensions. Pritzker wants to open the constitution to amend the income tax, which I favor, but won't even consider removing the provision that freezes pensions in place.

So far, his term is starting off like I expected. He agrees in theory we need an infrastructure program. He throws a one time pile of cash at education and a few other programs. He talks about how we'll be rolling in cash, someday, if we expand gambling, legalize recreational marijuana and switch to a progressive income tax. There isn't a word spoken about reforming pensions. In fact, he just continues the current crisis by extending the payment schedule again, and borrowing money to make current payments.

It's instructive to compare him with Michigan's new Democratic governor, who seems to be capable of actual leadership. She's proposing to nearly triple the gas tax to pay for an infrastructure program. She's laid out a specific funding plan to increase education spending in key areas. Imagine that, specific goals and specific plans to get there.
Reforming future pensions has been done with tier 2 for new employees. this was done before Pritzer.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Reforming future pensions has been done with tier 2 for new employees. this was done before Pritzer.
I know. And how does that keep pre-existing employees from bankrupting the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois