Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times

Advertisements

snowgirl

I just happened to go to Galena this past weekend and I have to respond to this, because of a chance conversation I happened to overhear while shopping there!!

I also love Galena, its such a nice and easy getaway from the Chicago area.

This shocked me --

I was shopping at the Fig Leaf, and I overheard the counter girl telling another shopper that they are moving their store to Dubuque, along with a few other store owners. I guess tourism has been down in recent years and a few of them got together and believe it will be better in Dubuque and that the riverfront is supposed to be the next great thing (I drove over there after hearing this conversation and am still in disbelief, as I just dont think its anything like what draws people to galena, I think its a terrible mistake, but whatever, supposedly the economy is better in dubuque now and they are feeling desperate). I guess there was even a bit meeting with the chamber of commerce and the mayor in galena and they general consenus was "something is wrong" in galena, as lodging and restaraunts were feeling a loss as well (this is how the counter girl put it, so this is all second hand! I am sure if you called the fig leaf they would even tell you about this as she was happy to talk about it)

However...I think everywhere this is happening. I think it is a mistake for them to move to Dubuque. I was there last weekend (yes its janurary). I found a parking spot but it was very busy and bustling, and I overheard ANOTHER store owner saying he had been non-stop busy for the past two weekends (gourmet food store).

One thing, the girl at the fig leaf said popped out at me and rung true. She said it used to be that the store-owners cared about each other and would even call each other to make sure they were not carrying the same items, and if they knew someone was stocking something, they would not purchase it.

When I went to galena last year, I noticed a lot of stores carrying the same things. I believe this does really discourage shoppers....if every store has the same merchandise.

This Janurary, that was not nearly the case. I think they may be fixing the problem...and really the town looked vibrant and healthy to me.

Just thought I should add this as I felt I just happned into some useful information you might want to check into!

Good luck, I am jealous too!

ps. I would bet door county would be dead in winter.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
I was in Galena in Nov.If you have seen one gift shop,you've seen them all there and it did get redundant (and they have nothing that you cant get in CHicago or the 'burbs).The food we had was mediocre at best.I think its a place people love because of its historical charm and hilly areas,this is not norm in alot of Illinois.People were all over the place,but strolling and window shopping by tourists doesnt pay the rent.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I've never been to Galena - it certainly sounds charming from what I read here. However, my sister lives in Wisconsin and I visited a few years ago and we went to Door County - that place is gorgeous! Absolutely loved it. And it had a tremendous variety in the way of shops and restaurants. Lots of the "unique." It was really bustiling all over. I am sure it would be dead in the winter, but a lot of places are like that. I think you would be hard pressed to find any resort/vacation area that bustles year round, every place has a "season".

Stopped at a local winery and got some cherry wine- mmmm, the best I ever tasted!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:01 PM

44 posts, read 162,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
snowgirl

I guess tourism has been down in recent years
However...I think everywhere this is happening.

...and really the town looked vibrant and healthy to me.

ps. I would bet door county would be dead in winter.....
Thank you so much for sharing this with me.
Yes, you are right and I totally agree with you. When I went there 2 weeks ago, I found Galena just as busy as you did, and we are talking JANUARY !!!
The economy is not what it used to be. Some people & store owners do not understand and others want to make a lot of money no matter what.
As for Door County......... well it is true they have very little business in winter especially is there is no snow, BUT from what I was told, they make a lot of money in summer and fall, enough to hold them over till the following summer. Who wouldn't like to have few months off every year and take a long vacation somewhere else.
As for the slower business - tourism in Door County, well thats another story. I was told that they do NOT charge any room tax, as so many other states do, money with which they would normally advertise, improve the towns, roads, etc. However, they voted to do so beginning with this spring and they hope that after doing some heavy advertising, the tourism will pick-up again.
I went there 2 times this month and wheather they have snow or not, IT IS BEAUTIFUL !
As for being jealous....... don't be ! It is so hard to decide where to move and so hard to do it. While I was just dreaming about it..... I was on cloud nine, but now that the time has come.........well, I never thought it will be that hard
I want to thank you again for all your info and to let you know, I appreciate it

If I could only go to bed and wake up tomorrow somewhere (after someone else decided for me where to move) it would be such a release.....
Not many times in life you have the opportunity to make such a move, to go and live in a place you like...... where you really want to be for no other reasons but pure enjoyment and peace of mind and soul. Where is that place ???? Where I thought it was, i went there and felt NOTHING ..........and the confusion started

Old 02-04-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I've never been to Galena - it certainly sounds charming from what I read here. However, my sister lives in Wisconsin and I visited a few years ago and we went to Door County - that place is gorgeous! Absolutely loved it. And it had a tremendous variety in the way of shops and restaurants. Lots of the "unique." It was really bustiling all over. I am sure it would be dead in the winter, but a lot of places are like that. I think you would be hard pressed to find any resort/vacation area that bustles year round, every place has a "season".

Stopped at a local winery and got some cherry wine- mmmm, the best I ever tasted!

You are right gypsychic.
There is no perfect place and if it is, not many of us can afford it.
I found a huge difference in winter between Galena and Door County as "business" is concerned. Both touristic places, both in winter and VERY different from ALL points of view.
Galena should consider itself VERY lucky with the business it has in winter and not get greedy.

Did you finish the cherry pie ?

Old 02-04-2007, 08:12 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,765 times
Snowgirl, where so you think you are being led? You need to follow your heart. BTW, I finally remembered the asking price on that antique shop I told you about- $95K.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:14 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,765 times
Make that "so" a "do", as in where do you think you are being led? I need to proofread these messages better.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:42 PM

6 posts, read 28,162 times
Beware, Chestnut Mountain in the summertime has a roller sled that goes down the mountain. Don't go near it if it might rain. They suck. They don't stop you until it's too late. Road rash for 10 bucks. I cannot tell you how hard it is to watch a loved one die.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Dugnger
I am so sorry, so sorry......................don't know what to say........
Thank you for the warrning, I will not even get close to that place.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Paxtonian,

Thank you for asking. I have no idea..............there are so many places in this country or world where "I think" I would like to move, but as I said before, is not easy to decide. Besides, I have 2 little cats and is not fun to travel with them till you find that place (
Wherever I will move, it better be the place and I better not regret it.
Once I decide, I will keep you posted, till then just PRAY for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois